PDA

View Full Version : Couple Days on CDT?

bmwsmity
01-07-2010, 11:02
So I'm planning on heading to CO probably in September...going to climb Pikes Peak for sure, and I'm looking at other trails to hit...how could I leave out the CDT??

So, I'd only spend maybe a couple days on the CDT just to get my feet wet (only going to be out there for 7-10 days).

Any suggestions on what sections to hit that are reasonable distance from Co. Springs?

Thx!

Sly
01-07-2010, 12:40
Only a couple days, close to Colorado Springs? Do you mountain bike? Marshall Pass to Monarch Pass.

Nean
01-07-2010, 13:16
Only a couple days, close to Colorado Springs? Do you mountain bike? Marshall Pass to Monarch Pass.

I'd agree, nice section. Mt. bikers love it too. May have snow in Sept. Mostly above treeline.

Spirit Walker
01-07-2010, 13:48
Indian Peaks Wilderness is gorgeous and it's not far from Denverr. You could make a loop using Jim Wolf's route plus the official route. Alternately, the semi loop in RMNP is a good two day trip. Few thruhikers do that one, but it's a nice weekend trip. Vasquez Peaks area was beautiful (though noisy with the mine.) If you are into really challenging trips, you could make a loop north of Berthoud Pass using a combination of Jim Wolf's route and the official trail. Another possibility is a weekend trip in Mt. Zirkel Wilderness. There is some really wild and beautiful country up there.

Mags
01-08-2010, 02:02
Lost Creek Wilderness.

No, it is not on the CDT (but some of it is on the Colorado Trail). It is not far from Co Sprgs and is an overlooked gem. This are is often great for fall hiking with blazing aspens and the lower elevations usually mean no snow even towards the end of the season. Being lower elevation also means less of an altitude problem (though the Bison-McCurdy ridge is relatively high)

It is one of my favorite areas in Colorado.

Here's a loop to give you a a taste of it. I suggested 36 mile loop, but there is an option (mentioned in my link) for about 25 miles ,too. Naturally, you can do shorter loops.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Favorite-Colorado-Hikes.html#lost-creek-wilderness-loop

Meta
01-08-2010, 19:14
Yeah, I can safely recommend the CDT loop inside rocky mountain national park, it's beautiful and since it's a loop that solves a lot of travel problems.

You can also do a modified version of it from the east side (estes park area) which is MUCH more accessible from Denver/major highways, using the Flattop Mtn trail from the bear lake trailhead on the east side. Cross over the divide, stop in grand lake after a night out, eat good food, then hike back over the divide and come back out at the bear lake trailhead, catch the bus back to town and your parked vehicle or whatever, and eat more good food! Gets way up above treeline for some great views but isn't too strenuous, either. Doable in 2 nights / 3 days ish. Or 2 days 1 night if you're in good shape and willing to do close to 20 miles a day.

bmwsmity
01-09-2010, 12:22
Yeah, I can safely recommend the CDT loop inside rocky mountain national park, it's beautiful and since it's a loop that solves a lot of travel problems.

You can also do a modified version of it from the east side (estes park area) which is MUCH more accessible from Denver/major highways, using the Flattop Mtn trail from the bear lake trailhead on the east side. Cross over the divide, stop in grand lake after a night out, eat good food, then hike back over the divide and come back out at the bear lake trailhead, catch the bus back to town and your parked vehicle or whatever, and eat more good food! Gets way up above treeline for some great views but isn't too strenuous, either. Doable in 2 nights / 3 days ish. Or 2 days 1 night if you're in good shape and willing to do close to 20 miles a day.

This sounds awesome :) Thanks!

Mountain biker, yes I am...not quite sure if i want to drag my bike out there with me yet though...not sure if I'm flying or driving there...and I'd rather not deal with my bike if flying...but it sure is tempting...

Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

Also, when I say September, I'm talking the first week of it, maybe even the last week of August...will it already be snowy in high elevations (Pikes Peak) that time of year??

Thx!

Meta
01-09-2010, 17:57
Nah, that's totally doable that time of year. I did a very similar section hike at the end of august / beginning of september in 2007 and was fine, got off right before the first snow. But even then, at the time of year, usually it's only a few inches and will melt quick.

Mags
01-09-2010, 18:06

That would be this one:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Favorite-Colorado-Hikes.html#bear-lake-to-grand-lake-loop

Note, you'll need to rent a bear canister now in addition to getting a backcountry permit (if you don't do the Euro-Style hike mentioned)

Sly
01-09-2010, 19:41
Mountain biker, yes I am...not quite sure if i want to drag my bike out there with me yet though...not sure if I'm flying or driving there...and I'd rather not deal with my bike if flying...but it sure is tempting...

You can rent a bike and get a shuttle in Salida, or hike the section.