PDA

View Full Version : best guides for 5-7 night hike?

Sonya
01-07-2010, 13:43
I'm wanting to go on my first AT hike and would like to go on a 5-7 night trip but i'm having a hard time finding companies that have the type of trip I want. I'm wanting to start in Tennessee, virginia, or carolinas. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Sonya

Lone Wolf
01-07-2010, 13:45
get maps and a guide book and go alone

trippclark
01-07-2010, 13:46
I'm wanting to go on my first AT hike and would like to go on a 5-7 night trip but i'm having a hard time finding companies that have the type of trip I want. I'm wanting to start in Tennessee, virginia, or carolinas. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Sonya

Companies? What type of services are you looking for? It is rather unusual for any commercial involvement other than perhaps shuttle service. Most folks just go hike.

Bearpaw
01-07-2010, 13:49
I strongly recommend getting some guidebooks and maps and making your own way also. Or you could look into local clubs where you could hike with others and learn the basics along the way.

The only service I know that guides trips in the TN/NC area is A Walk in the Woods out of Gatlinburg. They mostly do shuttles, but I understand they also lead some guided trips.

Hooch
01-07-2010, 13:50
With a little research and a little planning, this is something that you can easily do yourself. All it takes is a map, a guide book and some decent gear to get started. Still, if going with a guided group is something you want to do, REI runs trip sthrough the Smokies several times a year. IMO, go alone or with a friend, you'll enjoy it much more.

scope
01-07-2010, 14:06

Best guide I know is the Hooking Up forum here.

p.s. and no, its not a dating forum. :D

Blissful
01-07-2010, 14:38
Start in Shenandoah NP. Perfect 7 day hike for beginning jaunts.

sore ankle
01-09-2010, 09:17
Start in Shenandoah NP. Perfect 7 day hike for beginning jaunts.

I agree with this. The terrain is relatively easy, and you are never far from Skyline Drive if you need to get off the trail. Plus there are several campgrounds if you don't want to stay in the shelters the entire trip.

For your research, try www.aldha.com (http://www.aldha.com) -- you can download info from the Thru Hikers guide on the sections you are interested in. Also, www.TrailJournals.com (http://www.TrailJournals.com) can give you a good sense of what you will find the trail experience to be like. Also, Google the Appalachian Trail Distance calculator--it is a useful tool.

SGT Rock
01-09-2010, 09:28
I once ran into a guided hike group on Waya Bald. I think the company that set up the hike was the Nantahala Outdoor Center out of Wesser, NC.