PDA

View Full Version : Grease Pot

Bags4266
01-07-2010, 20:36
I know some people have a hard time finding a grease pot at Wally World. This web site www.end2endtrailsupply.com (http://www.end2endtrailsupply.com) has them for $6.50. Everything is free shipping till 1/15. I bought some small gadgets. I like the mini razor knife 2grams that just shaved off 2 ounces from my swiss army.
I also bought the Imsua Mug 24 oz cap. 2.4 oz weight for $3.50.

zelph
01-08-2010, 13:48
Thanks for the heads up. I went there and purchased some for the ZMart kits. There's are the same ones offered at Kmart for $7.00, lip rolled outward. I'll be making the kits available on ebay when the weather warms up a bit.

gunner76
01-13-2010, 22:02
Ditto, thanks for the heads up, I just took advantage of the free shipping

Bags4266
01-13-2010, 22:08
I have so many pots. I was experimenting with boil times, you can't beat the quickness of boil from the grease pot. But it requires you to bring a cup...or drink from a 6" pot!:rolleyes:

moytoy
01-13-2010, 22:35
I was in Walmart this morning and got the Imusa 24 oz mug for 2.09 with tax. I use this mug for cooking. I never seem to need anything bigger.

Bags4266
01-13-2010, 22:50
My Wally World has neither. I guess it' a regional thing.

Rocket Jones
01-14-2010, 07:37
I find the IMUSA mugs at WalMart, but the greasepots are at KMart.

zelph
01-14-2010, 10:52
Thanks for the heads up. I went there and purchased some for the ZMart kits. There's are the same ones offered at Kmart for $7.00, lip rolled outward. I'll be making the kits available on ebay when the weather warms up a bit.

I received the 10 that I ordered in 3 days......what a great deal.....free shipping....cant beat that.........thanks for the heads-up:)

gunner76
01-16-2010, 18:18
If anyone is interested the grease pot holds 4 cups of water.

Empty is weights 3.9oz with lid, 2.6oz without the lid

Panzer1
01-16-2010, 23:42
Why would anyone buy something called a "grease pot"?

Panzer

gunner76
01-17-2010, 13:52
Why buy a grease pot ?

Low cost less than $7

Super lite weight at under 4oz

Low cost

Holds 4 cups of water

Comes with lid

Compact size

Only drawback is that it does not have a handle

gunner76
01-17-2010, 13:56
Its called a grease pot as the ones you get at KMart come with a strainer for straining bacon grease that is being poured into the pot. And the lid has "GREASE" stamped on on it

Its small compact size makes it ideal for LW backpackers or any one who just needs a small pot to boil a few cups of water in.

I own 2

moytoy
01-17-2010, 14:39

Panzer

retorical?

Rocket Jones
01-17-2010, 17:30
Only drawback is that it does not have a handle

5 minutes work solves that. Drill two small holes near the brim for an angled piece of wire and cut two small slots in the side of the lid to match.

My pot bail comes off easily (when I want it to) and stores inside the pot with the windscreen, etc.

rynogator
01-18-2010, 13:16
The grease pot I just got from Walmart (not in the camping section, but in the kitchen gadget isle) did have a handle! Now I need to figure out if a bandana is enough to pick the grease pot up from a supercat stove or if I'm going to need more of an oven mitt type thing. Since my mom and I will both be using the grease pot, we plan to just boil water in it and then pour the water into our freezerbags or mugs.

Bags4266
01-18-2010, 13:54
Yea I saw that one at Wally World too. Its not the same one we are referring to however. Yours looks more like a coffee pot. The other grease pot has a larger diameter.

Rocket Jones
01-18-2010, 21:35
The grease pot I just got from Walmart (not in the camping section, but in the kitchen gadget isle) did have a handle! Now I need to figure out if a bandana is enough to pick the grease pot up from a supercat stove or if I'm going to need more of an oven mitt type thing. Since my mom and I will both be using the grease pot, we plan to just boil water in it and then pour the water into our freezerbags or mugs.

Get one of those flexible silicone oven pads and cut it up with scissors. You don't need to carry the whole thing.

Skidsteer
01-18-2010, 22:24

Panzer

Have you seen what hiker's eat?

gunner76
01-18-2010, 23:07
The KMart Grease Pot

Not to be confused with a pot of.........

Tinker
01-19-2010, 00:54

I use my bandanna for my ti pot. Should work for the aluminum grease pot, but the rim of the pot will probably be hotter than a ti pot.
In the winter I usually use a glove, because I have them handy.

mkmangold
01-19-2010, 01:31

Panzer

I used to use mine along with an alcohol stove. But then 2 weeks ago, I had it sitting in the kitchen after testing out the DewLyte and used it separate cracklins from hamburger grease and now it sits in my fridge storing fat for cooking. Comes with a nice sieve.

Hyway
01-19-2010, 09:10
Plenty of IMUSA mugs at my walmart. For the people that use them, what do you use for a lid? Just foil, or do you have something better?

moytoy
01-19-2010, 10:14
Plenty of IMUSA mugs at my walmart. For the people that use them, what do you use for a lid? Just foil, or do you have something better?

I cut the bottom out of the second mug. Drilled a hole in the middle of it and attached a small handle. I have a lathe so I cut a slight groove in the top (bottom) but it will work without the grove cut.

moytoy
01-19-2010, 10:21
I cut the bottom out of the second mug. Drilled a hole in the middle of it and attached a small handle. I have a lathe so I cut a slight groove in the top (bottom) but it will work without the grove cut.

BTW I am using the cup that I cut the bottom out of to experiment with a removable handle. I'm not very far along on that project.

harryfred
01-19-2010, 11:41
Folded up bandanna works fine. That's all I use and I am using the same pot you are. I have been using my pot in the edge of a wood fire to boil extra water this winter and save on fuel and the bandanna works fine. That 4 cup capacity seemed a little much in the summer is great now for lots of hot drinks at night and a hot water bottle for bed.

gtg
04-17-2010, 12:10
stuck inside all weekend so getting caught up on reading here. Got to say the grease pot is just one of the many things i have learned here love mine! best bargain in my pack, thanks to everyone on here that got me hooked on that high tech over priced equipment as the grease pot

zelph
04-20-2010, 15:44
Over a long period of time, the salts in cooking grease will corrode holes into the bottom of the pot as it sits on your counter top. It happened to mine.

JRiker
04-22-2010, 20:20
i remember when that happened to my mom once. she found out about it because the stove was hot from the oven and grease leaked all over her stove, she was pissed!

se7enty
06-12-2010, 09:32
the kmart here has plenty of grease pots, so if anybody wants one i'd be glad to pick it up for you

LIhikers
06-13-2010, 19:47
Earlier this year I switched to an alcohol stove for 3 season hiking.
The K-Mart Gease Pot along with a close fitting wind screen make a good combination. I use a pot lifter similar to this (http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/MSR-Panhandler-Potlifter/CAS0048M.html?CMP_SKU=CAS0403&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&mr:trackingCode=3D3DC1DA-F061-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA). Everything, including a couple of lighters, fit inside the pot making it very convenient. And the pot is big enough for 2 people if need be.

SMSP
09-29-2010, 10:12
I find the IMUSA mugs at WalMart, but the greasepots are at KMart.

Stupid question, but I have never seen them in my area. What section in Wal-Mart are the IMUSA mugs found?

I have seen how Wal-Mart does carry regional stuff that others parts of the country dont get. I bought a soft-shell jacket at a Wal-Mart in Nashville area that I have never seen in South MS. A guy asked me once if my jacket was one of those Under Arnour ones, I said no, it was the $30 one from Wal-Mart!

SMSP

Pedaling Fool
09-29-2010, 10:22
Couple more stupid questions: What's a Grease pot and IMUSA Mug?

4eyedbuzzard
09-29-2010, 12:07
Grease pot - Stanco model GS 1200, in the cooking section at KMart http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/pic/289hy5eif.php

http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/users/stovestomper/koq95sn3/uvifqrney.jpg

Another option, especially if you like percolated coffee is one of these small aluminum percolators http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82016

http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/kitchen/82016.jpg

Rocket Jones
09-29-2010, 12:14
Stupid question, but I have never seen them in my area. What section in Wal-Mart are the IMUSA mugs found?

I have seen how Wal-Mart does carry regional stuff that others parts of the country dont get. I bought a soft-shell jacket at a Wal-Mart in Nashville area that I have never seen in South MS. A guy asked me once if my jacket was one of those Under Arnour ones, I said no, it was the $30 one from Wal-Mart!

SMSP

I find them in the gadget aisle in housewares, where they sell the measuring cups, slotted spoons, salsa bowls and crap like that. There are a couple of sizes.

What I haven't been able to find is the semi-mythical IMUSA mini-skillet.

Rocket Jones
09-29-2010, 12:21
Grease pot - Stanco model GS 1200, in the cooking section at KMart http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/pic/289hy5eif.php

http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/users/stovestomper/koq95sn3/uvifqrney.jpg

Here's what I did with my grease pot: first, ditch the strainer. Second, drill two small holes near the top of the rim of the pot and use some semi-stiff wire as a bail. I just slightly unbend the ends to remove from the pot, and then the bail stores inside the pot. I also cut two small notches in the rim of the lid to match the holes, so the lid will still fit tight with the bail in place.

My IMUSA mug sits inside the grease pot, but is just barely too tall to let the lid sit tightly. I use a couple of rubber bands to hold it together.

Inside my grease pot is my fancy feast stove (in ziplock), my windscreen, a lighter, the pot bail, plus some teabags and spices. All total, it's about 10 ounces.

mark schofield
09-29-2010, 14:17
take a look at the snow peak gigapower stove. and look at the wind screen that goes with it (for an extra $9). the strainer could be used for /made into one of these. depending on the pot supports, holes cut for a specific stove.
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500001_Stoves&jxBrand=Snow+Peak&hist=cat%2C4500001_Stoves%3AStoves^jxBrand%2CSnow+ Peak

gearfreak
11-24-2010, 11:50
Here's a good deal on the grease pot:

http://underbid.com/merchant/theidealplace/product/689-327146/758464/Grease_Strainer_Cup_Lid.html?ref=base

4eyedbuzzard
11-24-2010, 12:06
Here's a good deal on the grease pot:

http://underbid.com/merchant/theidealplace/product/689-327146/758464/Grease_Strainer_Cup_Lid.html?ref=base

$4.84 is a good price, I think it was $6.99 at K-mart. The only problem is the shipping charge of $7.99 - it's more than the price of the pot at K-mart. But I guess if you factor in gas getting to K-mart if you can't just pick it up while on other errands $12.83 ain't too bad.

Walkintom
11-25-2010, 21:57

SMSP

I recently found the grease pot in a local Walmart recently after many trips where I have failed to find it at various superWalmarts. I'm sure that some superstores do stock it, but not the ones I had been looking in...

Tramp
02-09-2012, 12:16
Pix or video ? Like it !!

dandandan
02-09-2012, 12:55
You can save even more weight by taking off that big stupid handle and replacing it with the piece of metal you grab on a binder clip. Slide a stick through it and you have yourself a handle that you dont have to carry.

dornstar
04-15-2012, 17:24
Can't believe I'm just seeing this thread. I used to own one, but ditched it after a while thinking I could pick one back up. I've been to my local walmart and kmart so many times looking for a replacement with no luck. Just ordered one.

dornstar
04-20-2012, 19:59
You can save even more weight by taking off that big stupid handle and replacing it with the piece of metal you grab on a binder clip. Slide a stick through it and you have yourself a handle that you dont have to carry.
The handle with the screw weighs less than 5 grams.

Pot = 60.9 grams
lid = 27.5
handle = 3.3
screw = 1.2