PDA

View Full Version : Best muscle/body pain meds for hiking?

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 11:34
So, I'm packing my first aid kit for my thru, and it has most of the normal stuff, but I was wondering, what do you all bring for meds? (Especially for muscle/body aches) I've heard Aleve and Excedrin, what is best? So far, I've just carried Motrin or shoprite Ibuprofin. And yes, I know not to take meds often because it'll only mask the pain and create further injuries.

PS- Please note, this is in the straightforward forum!

Alligator
01-08-2010, 11:41
Excedrin has caffeine in it, just an fyi.

I take ibuprofen, acetaminophen and 1-2 tramadols.

saimyoji
01-08-2010, 11:43
Excedrin has caffeine in it, just an fyi.

I take both ibuprofen and aceitominophen and 1-2 tramadols.

excedrin makes a PM version which lacks caffeine and does have a sleepy ingredient. just an fyi.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 11:43
That's what I was worried about for the Excedrin- I considered bringing it for the morning and if I need something later in the day, taking something else, but I'm not a fan of taking two meds in one day, especially if there's something that will work fine for morning and evening.

Manwich
01-08-2010, 11:44
An Ultrum (Tramadol) and a Tylonol PM or two

Alligator
01-08-2010, 11:45
excedrin makes a PM version which lacks caffeine and does have a sleepy ingredient. just an fyi.What's the pain medication base and how good is the sleep medicine?

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 11:49
Can someone tell me what is safe to take with which? (I mean, if I take Ibuprofin and and Aleve, will my head explode?) I know I could check all the ingredient lists against the others, but I tried in the grocery store the other day, and my eyes started to glaze over, I figured this'd be faster.

Gator- do you take all three together?

Lillianp
01-08-2010, 11:50
I generally go with ibuprofen. I will have a little container of it with me on my thru.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 11:52
I do too, but I'd like something that is know for muscle pain. (And different meds work for different people in different ways- I stopped taking Tylenol ages ago because it didn't do anything, so I thought maybe there's something out there that'll work for me better than Ibuprofin...)

white_russian
01-08-2010, 11:57
I just carry a baggie of Ibuprofen. I have never actually taken pain medicine while hiking. I am not an athlete either; i usually show up as one of the out of shape guys, just like the folks that swallow handfuls of pills every night. You can hike day after day without any meds if have the correct pace for your body's current abilities.

Now I have added some leftover steroids from when I got sick to this years kit for if things really hit the fan. Hopefully they never have to be used either.

white_russian
01-08-2010, 12:01
I do too, but I'd like something that is know for muscle pain. (And different meds work for different people in different ways- I stopped taking Tylenol ages ago because it didn't do anything, so I thought maybe there's something out there that'll work for me better than Ibuprofin...)
Muscle pain only gets bad for me if I sit around being fat and happy in town too long and my legs tighten up too much. Some good stretching takes care of that. If you want to buy something for it though get some Icy Hot. Really the best answer to muscle pain is shorter days and/or more stretching.

Alligator
01-08-2010, 12:02
Can someone tell me what is safe to take with which? (I mean, if I take Ibuprofin and and Aleve, will my head explode?) I know I could check all the ingredient lists against the others, but I tried in the grocery store the other day, and my eyes started to glaze over, I figured this'd be faster.

Gator- do you take all three together?No.

My doc advised me up to 4 ibuprofen (800 mg total) every 6 hours and 2 of the acetaminophen (500 mg each) every 6 hours if needed. I was waiting to get a root canal:mad:. That's real hard on your stomach though. Tramadol is prescription pain medication. I believe the name brand Tramadol comes with acetaminophen as part of the pill and the generics (i thnk it is called ultram) don't. The acetominophen I think is an amplifier. So if you have the generic, you can add the acetaminophen. Please consult with your doctor and the pharmacist though as well. I wasn't able to get the root canal quickly and my stomach was very tore up. I would take the ibu. and acet. togetherif I had to walk out injured (and have done so).

JAK
01-08-2010, 12:08
I read in this book...

http://www.amazon.ca/Runners-World-Body-Exercise-Stronger/dp/1605298611
Runner's World The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster

... It says that you shouldn't take stuff like ibuprofin during or after exercise unless you have really done something serious, because they interfere with the bodies natural processes of getting stronger in response to exercise.

In short, anti-inflamatories and pain killers are counterproductive,
but then again so is excessive inflamation and stuff like back spasms.

A better way to go would be to eat real food, and get adequate rest, in response to soreness.
Save the ibuprofin for when you really overdo something, like put your back out.

Moderate soreness in response to exercise is your friend. Just eat real food and get some extra rest.
Real foods with lots of anti-oxidants might help alot though. Stuff like raisins and currants and sardines.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 12:12
No.

My doc advised me up to 4 ibuprofen (800 mg total) every 6 hours and 2 of the acetaminophen (500 mg each) every 6 hours if needed. I was waiting to get a root canal:mad:. That's real hard on your stomach though. Tramadol is prescription pain medication. I believe the name brand Tramadol comes with acetaminophen as part of the pill and the generics (i thnk it is called ultram) don't. The acetominophen I think is an amplifier. So if you have the generic, you can add the acetaminophen. Please consult with your doctor and the pharmacist though as well. I wasn't able to get the root canal quickly and my stomach was very tore up. I would take the ibu. and acet. togetherif I had to walk out injured (and have done so).

Okay, you're going to think I am the stupidist person on earth. I have an appointment with my doc next monday, and I never even considered asking her what I should take. Wow. And she'd definitely know. I can't believe myself.

Alligator
01-08-2010, 12:22
Okay, you're going to think I am the stupidist person on earth. I have an appointment with my doc next monday, and I never even considered asking her what I should take. Wow. And she'd definitely know. I can't believe myself.Nah, I forget things to ask too. It helps to have it written down. Normal checkups the doc usually asks questions but if you are there for something specific they don't always prompt.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 12:28
True, thanks everyone for your input!

Grinder
01-08-2010, 12:51
I'm late to the party, but my vote is Vitamin I (generic)

leaftye
01-08-2010, 12:53
I'll be taking fish oil and curcumin.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 12:55
I'm still trying to figure out if there's any dif. between generic and say, advil... I suppose not.

Alligator
01-08-2010, 13:04
I'm still trying to figure out if there's any dif. between generic and say, advil... I suppose not.Usually a couple of dollars.

jombo22
01-08-2010, 13:10
... It says that you shouldn't take stuff like ibuprofin during or after exercise unless you have really done something serious, because they interfere with the bodies natural processes of getting stronger in response to exercise.

In short, anti-inflamatories and pain killers are counterproductive,
but then again so is excessive inflamation and stuff like back spasms.

I always suspected this to be the case but never found any real research on it. It makes sense, to me at least - inflammation is the body sending extra blood and stuff to the area to help it recover. It is a natural part of the recovery process. If you interfere with that, you can reduce the swelling and make it easier to use the muscle, but I always suspected that you were preventing the body from doing its thing.

saimyoji
01-08-2010, 13:10
What's the pain medication base and how good is the sleep medicine?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=excedrin+PM

http://www.excedrin.com/excedrin-pm-drug-facts.shtml

always worked for me when i used it.....nowadays i use mostly mysticism for my ills. its better for my liver.

Toolshed
01-08-2010, 13:21
I would not mix naproxen sodium with other drugs, it has too many contraindications. I believe there is a contraindication with aspirin, but you should really provide your own safety due diligence and check yourself on drugs.com. (Not being critical, but that's what I would do)

Before this is discussed or you take any advice, , it would be good to know if you are on any other RX meds.

FWIW, for years, I had a doc friend write scripts for 800mg tabs of IB for me for backpacking after my reconstructive knee surgery. I would take prophylactically to reduce swelling and inflammation. It is harder on your stomach and can lead to bleeding, so IB should always be taken with food. there are smaller "large dosing options as well 400's and 600's, but I believe they are RX only.

I don't know if you are aware, but IB goes to the site of inflammation and works specifically to reduce that and pain. Acetaminophen does not. The best I can explain (not a scientist) is that it works on the nerve sensors to reduce the transmission of pain.

If you decide to go with IB, I would recommend the gel-caps rather than tablet forms. while I don't think you would find any issues of safety or efficacy between store brands and the proprietary brand, you may not be able to find gel-caps in the store brand. Gel-Caps seem to have less adverse effect on your stomach and are also absorbed more quickly.

Hikes in Rain
01-08-2010, 13:22
I can"t believe I'm the first one to recommend bourbon! In moderation, of course.

Toolshed
01-08-2010, 13:28
I'm still trying to figure out if there's any dif. between generic and say, advil... I suppose not.
The manufacturing processes are identical. The Brand filed the original drug application. After the main patent expired, the generic manufacturer filed a short version application and now has to follow manufacturing processes precisely once their site has been approved.

With products such as these, I think one rarely finds deviations in the manufacturing process that lead to shortfalls in drug efficacy and safety profiles...
However, one is never guaranteed such. I personally stick with the brand names, specifically as they have much more to lose in the event of manufacturing deficiencies, than some "no name" generics manufacturer spitting out millions of different pills every day, with product contribution margins being in the 10th of a penny and the product being marketed under a dozen different generic store brands.
IMMHO, Too much temptation to trim processes in order to shave a few cents.

The Flatulator
01-08-2010, 13:38
Aspirin, aspirin and lots of aspirin. Helps reduce the swelling and inflamation. I will take three at a time every four hours or so. You'll be needing some relief the first few weeks of your hike. Caffiene helps in the morning and during the day and you will be so tired after lugging that pack all day, you will not have any trouble falling asleep.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 14:17
I would not mix naproxen sodium with other drugs, it has too many contraindications. I believe there is a contraindication with aspirin, but you should really provide your own safety due diligence and check yourself on drugs.com. (Not being critical, but that's what I would do)

Before this is discussed or you take any advice, , it would be good to know if you are on any other RX meds.

FWIW, for years, I had a doc friend write scripts for 800mg tabs of IB for me for backpacking after my reconstructive knee surgery. I would take prophylactically to reduce swelling and inflammation. It is harder on your stomach and can lead to bleeding, so IB should always be taken with food. there are smaller "large dosing options as well 400's and 600's, but I believe they are RX only.

I don't know if you are aware, but IB goes to the site of inflammation and works specifically to reduce that and pain. Acetaminophen does not. The best I can explain (not a scientist) is that it works on the nerve sensors to reduce the transmission of pain.

If you decide to go with IB, I would recommend the gel-caps rather than tablet forms. while I don't think you would find any issues of safety or efficacy between store brands and the proprietary brand, you may not be able to find gel-caps in the store brand. Gel-Caps seem to have less adverse effect on your stomach and are also absorbed more quickly.

No prescription drugs, except the occasional sleeping pill. (I'll be taking five with me to Georgia, one for the train, and the other four for the first week and a half, every alternate day, if I need 'em). But I'm not stupid enough to take any meds with a sleeping pill without clearing it with my doctor first.

And I'll definitely try the gelcaps, thanks.

I can"t believe I'm the first one to recommend bourbon! In moderation, of course.

Well I figured that was a given! :D

Connie
01-08-2010, 14:46
CytoSport CytoMax used, taken as directed, works very well for not allowing the lactic acid buildup we experience as muscle pain.

I used it successfully, alternating water and juice for hydration, taking the CytoSport CytoMax only as directed.: it is strictly not for hydration or for slaking thirst. It is a special purpose product.

I purchase envelopes at REI (http://www.rei.com/product/520066).

Here is powder (http://www.cytosport.com/products/cytomax/cytomax-natural-powders).

Here is ready-to-drink (http://www.cytosport.com/products/cytomax/cytomax-performance-plus-ready-to-drink).

Compass
01-08-2010, 15:14
If you can still move and want to continue for as long as possible avoid all drugs for pain and discomfort. That way your body can still talk to you. SAY NO TO DRUGS

Ex. If tired, get more sleep not a cup of coffee.
If sore slow down, adjust stride, eat better, poles.

Maybe in my fifties I will change my tune but under 40- fix the problem not the symptom.

take-a-knee
01-08-2010, 15:22
Usually a couple of dollars.

That's about it. What JAK said about staying off of painkillers is good advice. If you've adequately prepared pre-hike, you shouldn't have so many problem. I don't get sore when I go hiking any more. How do I do that? www.crossfit.com

booger
01-08-2010, 16:19
I would vote for Poppy Tea, very relaxing and all natural

emerald
01-08-2010, 16:29

No doubt you'll be hiking in the Zone.:-?:)

Rocket Jones
01-08-2010, 17:51
I checked with my doctor and was specifically warned against anything except tylenol because of my blood pressure meds. No Ibuprofen for me.

I'd also recommend talking to a pharmacist (or two or three) about interactions between various over-the-counter remedies.

leaftye
01-08-2010, 18:19
No doubt you'll be hiking in the Zone.:-?:)
I don't follow. All I know is that those products are quickly becoming the favored pain relievers in strength sports, that is, if they aren't already.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 18:43
As I said, not planning to take painkillers like candy- just when I really need one. I'm only going to bring a small amount. (I also bring painkillers because once a month, I get extremely bad, debilitating cramps for 2-2.5 days and a headache, terribly bad. I'd never consider going anywhere without Ibuprofin for those two days!!!)

leaftye
01-08-2010, 18:49
You may want to consider taking a foam roller if you expect bad pain. A foam roller may literally be a roll of foam, so it won't weigh much. I suppose you could use it as a pillow too. If you don't know what it does, it basically helps prevent minor injuries from turning into major injuries. If you pull a muscle, have a strain, or knots, these are exactly the type of injuries you need to massage out. A more compact solution is a tennis ball, but it's hard to hit the back half of your body with that. Of course it'd weigh nothing if fellow hikers gave each other deep muscle massages, but that'd be kinda weird...

emerald
01-08-2010, 18:54
I don't follow.

The anti-inflammation zone: reversing the silent epidemic that's destroying our health by Barry Sears, Ph.D.

Refer also to the thread I started What does it mean to "flow" with the trail? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31919) Flowing with the trail among other things implies you are not overextending your capabilities. You should be in harmony with what the trail demands. If you're not, you're doing yourself harm beyond a point which is easily exceeded and not sustainable.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 18:56
Good idea leaftye- I'll try that. (But I've never had really bad muscle problems, only foot problems for the first three or four days, the real problem would be my cramps.)

And I'll look that up, thanks Emerald.

leaftye
01-08-2010, 19:03
The anti-inflammation zone: reversing the silent epidemic that's destroying our health by Barry Sears, Ph.D.

Refer also to the thread I started and will link for you.

I'll have to check that out. Keep in mind though that these are pretty natural products. You'd literally have no need for these if you ate enough fish or Indian food.

emerald
01-08-2010, 19:18
As Dr. Sears points out, the Japanese who eat more fish than anyone and outlive everyone also have the highest mercury loads.

Meals including turmeric and cumin might be of some value although I can't quote dosages thought to be beneficial. Garlic and onions are also thought to possess anti-inflammatory properties.

eric j
01-08-2010, 19:51
sounds good, curcumin is the anti-inflamatory in turmeric, been working for me, throw some in your rice/pasta/quinoa

leaftye
01-08-2010, 19:53
Yep, dual purpose right there. Do I get ultralight points for using a seasoning that's a pain reliever too?

trixie
01-08-2010, 20:24
So, I'm packing my first aid kit for my thru, and it has most of the normal stuff, but I was wondering, what do you all bring for meds? (Especially for muscle/body aches) I've heard Aleve and Excedrin, what is best? So far, I've just carried Motrin or shoprite Ibuprofin. And yes, I know not to take meds often because it'll only mask the pain and create further injuries.

PS- Please note, this is in the straightforward forum!

I prefer generic ibuprofen - seems to work best for me for aches; as far as headaches, nothing beats excedrin in my book! I would avoid acetaminophen if you drink lots of alcohol - increases risk of liver damage.

I would also not recommend chewing aspirin/goodys/bc powers like crazy, which will increase your risk of bleeding (don't know how accident prone you are) and stomach ulcers (again, how much do you drink, what are your risk factors, etc)

There have been studies that have shown delayed bone healing when using NSAIDS - I have not seen any studies concerning muscles but that doesn't mean they don't exist :)

Lastly, you know your body and what works best for you - and I second talking to your doctor about all your questions :) Have fun!!!

Blissful
01-08-2010, 20:38
I took Advil liqui gels during the day and Aleve to get me through the night.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2010, 21:05

Well that's ok my thought was a bar at the first trail town for my answer. Never needed pills so far.

garlic08
01-08-2010, 23:33
Nothing. Slow down, sleep well, eat well.

From the wall in a chiropractor's office: "Taking pain meds is like removing your smoke detector during a fire."

mkmangold
01-08-2010, 23:50
Nothing. Slow down, sleep well, eat well.

From the wall in a chiropractor's office: "Taking pain meds is like removing your smoke detector during a fire."

And going to that chiropractor is like rubbing a smoke detector on the fire to put it out.

If not contraindicated, ibuprofen (Motrin and Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) for short-term use for acute injuries. Acetominophen (Tylenol) if your liver can tolerate it for pain in-between doses of ibuprofen or naproxen. Limbrel for extended use.

white_russian
01-09-2010, 00:15
And going to that chiropractor is like rubbing a smoke detector on the fire to put it out.

If not contraindicated, ibuprofen (Motrin and Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) for short-term use for acute injuries. Acetominophen (Tylenol) if your liver can tolerate it for pain in-between doses of ibuprofen or naproxen. Limbrel for extended use.
You know I had a injury one time and over the course of a year no regular doc could figure it out. I went to a chiropractor and he immediately fixed it on the first visit. He showed me exactly what happened on the x-ray, fixed it and now I have no pain. No pills and no cutting.

mkmangold
01-09-2010, 00:40
You know I had a injury one time and over the course of a year no regular doc could figure it out. I went to a chiropractor and he immediately fixed it on the first visit. He showed me exactly what happened on the x-ray, fixed it and now I have no pain. No pills and no cutting.

You found a chiropractor on the trail?

SassyWindsor
01-09-2010, 01:00
Acetaminophen (Tylenol): easy on the stomach, tough on the liver. I never take it, I have to be careful because the stuff is in all types of OTC and prescription meds, especially cold/sinus preps. Together with alcohol makes a dangerous combination.

Naproxen sodium(Aleve), Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Benadryl, all my personal choice for OTC medicines. If taking Aspirin, I do it after a meal, just a little easier on the stomach.

Doooglas
01-09-2010, 02:13
Congratz !
I might also suggest powdered Pau d'Arco to make a trail tea.

Americans are junkies !

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2010, 10:09
Well I will ad this note to ShelterLeopard, at 19 this is one area you do not need to worry about, yup blisters and joint pain are part of the trail. But the meds are for the old horses with the bad joints and callouses here.

Slack-jawed Trog
01-09-2010, 11:31
ShLep,

I have not tried Ultram but I prefer NSAID's over narcotic analgesics. I just don't like the way opiates or their derivatives (natural and synthetic) make me feel. :( YMMV.

The best NSAID analgesic I've ever used is Relafen: http://www.medicinenet.com/nabumetone/article.htm

FWIW, plain old aspirin is my everyday go-to pain med, and vitamin I for muscular aches and pains. However, for the hurts I sometimes get on the trail these old stand-bys just don't do it for me. Yet, I found that Relafen is more than up to it. Where I was taking vit. I 600-800 mg every 4-6 hours (with food and still tearing up my stomach), I found only one dose of Relafen manages my pain. It's nice to have the option of taking it again at night if the pain is persistent.

Rockhound
01-09-2010, 11:54
western love affair with pills pills pills. There is a miracle plant that has been relieving pain for far longer than any of these pills have been around. It works, it's immediate, has no addictive properties and none of the side effects of many of the alternatives that have been mentioned so far. If many of the close minded people were to take an unbiased look at my pain reliever of choice not only would it be legal with all the stigmas removed, but the pharmaceutical industry would take a hit they so desperately deserve.

Mongoose2
01-09-2010, 12:11
Well I will ad this note to ShelterLeopard, at 19 this is one area you do not need to worry about, yup blisters and joint pain are part of the trail. But the meds are for the old horses with the bad joints and callouses here.

The Old Owl is indeed wise, Shlep! My drug of choice is 800 mg IB. However, you should be good to go. Oh, to be 19 again!!! After a 15 mile day my daughter springs out of the tent ready to go; I unfold out of the tent, have coffee and Motrin for breakfast.

Slo-go'en
01-09-2010, 12:56
A young hiker like SHLep shouldn't need pain killers very much.

For us older hikers, a daily dose of pain reliever is SOP (standard operating procedure) Its the knees that get me. Too many hard miles on them over the years. I do limit the dosage to no more than 2 a day and then tapper off even more after the first week or so.

For muscle pain a cream is usually works better, "Bio-freeze" or "Freeze it" works well for me.

take-a-knee
01-09-2010, 15:12
A young hiker like SHLep shouldn't need pain killers very much.

For us older hikers, a daily dose of pain reliever is SOP (standard operating procedure) Its the knees that get me. Too many hard miles on them over the years. I do limit the dosage to no more than 2 a day and then tapper off even more after the first week or so.

For muscle pain a cream is usually works better, "Bio-freeze" or "Freeze it" works well for me.

I used to think that. I got all the crap out of my diet and got my hormone levels under control with the Zone Diet and I don't have joint pain anymore, even when I hike. I'm 50.

Donde
01-09-2010, 15:30
Okay Shlep here is the deal. speaking strictly OTC you have four major options in two catergories.

Tylenol (acetomenophine) is an Analgesic (painkiller) you can take up to a gram at a time not to exceed four grams in a day.

Ibuprofin (motrin), Aleve (naproxen), and Asprin, are all Non Steroidal Anti Inflammitories. These reduce swelling and inflamation.

Do not take multiple NSAIDs at the same time. You can take Tylenol and one NSAID at the same time, be careful drinking while taking tylenol.

Now go talk to your primary care doctor.

I will be taking Lodine (etodolac) but you've got to be old and have Arthritis to get a script for that (or be young and seriously **** your ortho situation up such as myself)

njordan2
01-09-2010, 15:37
What's "vitamin I" ?

emerald
01-09-2010, 15:39
See Ibuprofen (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682159.html), post #58.

orangebug
01-09-2010, 22:29
I always insist that Aspirin be in every pack. ASA treats far more than pain. It is the first thing to do for someone with chest pain. It is cheap. It is very available. It has adverse effects that are well known. At some point in life, you will likely take aspirin on a daily basis for prevention of coronary artery syndrome.

The other NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Naproxyn, tramadol and other) all have benefits, but might prevent the cardiac benefits of Aspirin, and may enhance risks of GI bleeding.

Tylenol has reasonable benefits and can be used in combinations with other meds, altho amounts are limited due to risk of liver injury.

No one has mentioned opiates, altho one has referred to marihuana as an analgesic. Opiates are excellent for rapid control of pain related to acute injury. They can help one get to a trailhead, or tolerate waiting for a search party. Ask your doc about whether this would be helpful to carry.

Marihuana may help discomfort of other sorts, but not for inflammation or pain from injury. It has adverse effects including incarceration for those carrying modest amounts.

weary
01-10-2010, 15:43

Refer also to the thread I started What does it mean to "flow" with the trail? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31919) Flowing with the trail among other things implies you are not overextending your capabilities. You should be in harmony with what the trail demands. If you're not, you're doing yourself harm beyond a point which is easily exceeded and not sustainable.
fish oil and curcumin are at least harmless, and may do some good. The best bet is to start slow and listen to what your body is telling you. None of the pain medicines, both over the counter or prescribed, are harmless. REmember. Drug companies and health insurance companies are powerful. FDA is weak. Drug companies like over the counter, once their patents expire. Insurance companies like over the counter, because it means their policies no longer have to pay for the use of the drugs.

"Vitamin I" can be especially harmful. And tylenol may be even worse if taken on a regular basis. Many, perhaps most, fatal liver failures occur from the unwise use of tylenol and it's many over the counter equivalents.

Weary

mkmangold
01-10-2010, 19:10
Drug companies and health insurance companies are powerful. FDA is weak... "Vitamin I" can be especially harmful. And tylenol may be even worse if taken on a regular basis. Many, perhaps most, fatal liver failures occur from the unwise use of tylenol and it's many over the counter equivalents.

The FDA and drug companies work together to gain money and power from consumers and taxpayors. That "contest" between them is fake and staged. Look at the number of business leaders who end up working as heads of governmental agencies.
No one is suggesting an extended use of ibuprofen or tylenol. Reread the posts. In addition, alcohol and viral hepatitis cause more cases of liver failure than acetominiphen.

Egads
01-10-2010, 20:17
Use aspirin. Stay away from the anti-inflammatories

weary
01-10-2010, 20:18
The FDA and drug companies work together to gain money and power from consumers and taxpayors. That "contest" between them is fake and staged. Look at the number of business leaders who end up working as heads of governmental agencies.
No one is suggesting an extended use of ibuprofen or tylenol. Reread the posts. In addition, alcohol and viral hepatitis cause more cases of liver failure than acetominiphen.
Therapeutic considerations
Licence data US FDA:link

Paracetamol (INN) (pronounced /ˌpærəˈsiːtəmɒl, ˌpærəˈsɛtəmɒl/) or acetaminophen (/əˌsiːtəˈmɪnɵfɨn/ ( listen)) (USAN) is a widely used over-the-counter analgesic (pain reliever) and antipyretic (fever reducer). It is commonly used for the relief of fever, headaches, and other minor aches and pains, and is a major ingredient in numerous cold and flu remedies. In combination with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and opioid analgesics, paracetamol is used also in the management of more severe pain (such as postoperative pain).[1]

While generally safe for human use at recommended doses (1000 mg per single dose and up to 4000 mg per day for adults, up to 2000 mg per day if drinking alcohol[2]), acute overdoses of paracetamol can cause potentially fatal liver damage and, in rare individuals, a normal dose can do the same; the risk is heightened by alcohol consumption. Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world, and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.[3][4][5][6]

Weary here:

I generally agree with mkmangold first comments. But he is wrong about the dangers of general trail use of tylenol and it's competitors. We all use the stuff -- even me occasionally. When I can't sleep tylenol and a anti-alergy ingredient (tylenol pm) induces a welcome relief.

But for folks who drink -- and occasionally binge drink (read AT trail journals and White Blaze if you doubt this happens frequently ) tylenol is far more deadly, than alcohol alone or exposure to a hepititus virus. I drink, not binge drink, but more than the 2 drinks that are safe with tylenol use. I shy away from more than occasional use of the drug. As should all young people who have far more at risk than I do, thousands of 20 to 30 year olds, and above, have suddenly discovered they no longer have a functioning liver.

Sometimes the impact can be reversed. Quite often a liver transplant is required, and a life of expensive drugs to prevent failure of the borrowed liver. Death is a common consequence.

Weary

atraildreamer
01-11-2010, 12:34
(I mean, if I take Ibuprofin and and Aleve, will my head explode?)

Try it and report back.

garlic08
01-11-2010, 14:50
...Sometimes the impact can be reversed. Quite often a liver transplant is required, and a life of expensive drugs to prevent failure of the borrowed liver. Death is a common consequence.

Thanks for the research and verification of what I feared was true, Weary. About 20 years ago, my wife was diagnosed with rheumatroid arthritis which put her on crutches for most of a year. The docs prescribed huge doses of meds, mostly OTC stuff. Instead, she goes out and buys a new pair of hiking shoes, starts walking with a light pack, and thru-hiked the CT, AT and PCT within ten years of diagnosis without a single pill. Still in remission today and no pain killers in the house. She's hiked 50 miles on day hikes in the last four days. The meds might have killed her by now.

Hokie
01-11-2010, 21:35
If you choose an NSAID (ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc), a practical issue for the trail is that naproxen has a much longer half life than ibuprofen hence fewer pills per day and therefore fewer to carry. If bleeding with NSAIDs is a problem for you, talk to your doctor about something like Celebrex as an alternative NSAID for moderate use on the trail. Good luck!

10-K
01-13-2010, 05:55
Call me crazy but I take 400mg of ibuprofen most mornings before I start hiking to get in front of the shoulder/back/neck soreness that comes from carrying a pack all day.

Donde
01-13-2010, 06:03
to orangebug: Tramadol(Ultram) is not an NSAID it is a analgesic and while not chemicly a narcotic it functions in a very similar manner.

Egads: Asprin is an anti inflammatory.

Schlep: delete us all and just talk to your doc and/or shaman depending on how you roll.

weary
01-13-2010, 10:36
Call me crazy but I take 400mg of ibuprofen most mornings before I start hiking to get in front of the shoulder/back/neck soreness that comes from carrying a pack all day.
Here's what Drugs.com has to say about Advil, Advil Childrens, Advil Junior Strength, Advil Liquigel, Advil Migraine, Advil Pediatric, Childrens Ibuprofen Berry, Genpril, Ibu, IBU-200, Midol IB, Midol Maximum Strength Cramp Formula, Motrin, Motrin Childrens, Motrin IB, Motrin Infant Drops, Motrin Junior Strength, Motrin Migraine Pain, Nuprin, (all names for ibuprofen)

"This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use ibuprofen. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

"Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.

"This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking ibuprofen. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.

"Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.

"Do not take more of this medication than is recommended. An overdose of ibuprofen can cause damage to your stomach or intestines. The maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 milligrams per dose or 3200 mg per day (4 maximum doses). Use only the smallest amount of ibuprofen needed to get relief from your pain, swelling, or fever. Avoid taking ibuprofen if you are taking aspirin to prevent stroke or heart attack. Ibuprofen can make aspirin less effective in protecting your heart and blood vessels. If you must use both medications, take the ibuprofen at least 8 hours before or 30 minutes after you take the aspirin (non-enteric coated form). Do not drink alcohol while taking ibuprofen. Alcohol can increase your risk of stomach bleeding caused by ibuprofen. "

10-K
01-13-2010, 14:40
I'm still waiting on an erection that lasts more than 4 hours.. :)

Here's what Drugs.com has to say about Advil, Advil Childrens, Advil Junior Strength, Advil Liquigel, Advil Migraine, Advil Pediatric, Childrens Ibuprofen Berry, Genpril, Ibu, IBU-200, Midol IB, Midol Maximum Strength Cramp Formula, Motrin, Motrin Childrens, Motrin IB, Motrin Infant Drops, Motrin Junior Strength, Motrin Migraine Pain, Nuprin, (all names for ibuprofen)

"This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use ibuprofen. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

"Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.

"This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking ibuprofen. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.

"Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.

"Do not take more of this medication than is recommended. An overdose of ibuprofen can cause damage to your stomach or intestines. The maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 milligrams per dose or 3200 mg per day (4 maximum doses). Use only the smallest amount of ibuprofen needed to get relief from your pain, swelling, or fever. Avoid taking ibuprofen if you are taking aspirin to prevent stroke or heart attack. Ibuprofen can make aspirin less effective in protecting your heart and blood vessels. If you must use both medications, take the ibuprofen at least 8 hours before or 30 minutes after you take the aspirin (non-enteric coated form). Do not drink alcohol while taking ibuprofen. Alcohol can increase your risk of stomach bleeding caused by ibuprofen. "

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 14:45
Thanks Donde- will talk to the doc, seeing her on Monday anyway. Thanks all!

JAK
01-13-2010, 14:46
I've never taken viagra, but when I was younger I think I had an erection most all of the time.
Today, if I had one for more than 4 hours I would probably call my doctor, but I'd be calling everybody.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 14:51
Well, I certainly do not need to worry about any erections, thanks!

10-K
01-13-2010, 15:48
Well, I certainly do not need to worry about any erections, thanks!

I was poking fun at Weary's litany of the dangers of ibuprofen.

It reminded me of the pharmaceutical ads you hear on TV - the Viagra commercial lists several dire side effects and the last thing the announcer says is "Consult your doctor if you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours."

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:19
And I was poking fun at you! :D

Six-Six
01-13-2010, 17:41
My dr (a runner) tells me to take Acetomenophenfor general headaches and general muscle pain, take IB for more specific muscle pain, and Aleve for specific joint pain or tendon irritations.
Here's my go-to website on the subject: http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/otc-center/otc-medicines/862.html

Hike within yourself and you probably won't need much of any of these at all.

Rockhound
01-13-2010, 19:12
I'm still waiting on an erection that lasts more than 4 hours.. :)
I don't even think I've had a 4 hour erection cumulatively.

Jack Tarlin
01-13-2010, 19:23
Haven't read this whole thread, but Weary's post above is spot on. Speaking as someone who has been known to pull a cork now and again, (:rolleyes:) I asked a doctor friend about this, and he confirmed that within reason, Ibuprofen and alcohol are not contra-indicated, i.e. it's OK to have a few drinks while you're using Vitamin I. However, he made it very clear that alcohol use combined with acetominophen (i.e. Tylenol, etc.) is never a good idea.

In short, if, like most thru-hikers, you enjoy adult beverages, be careful what medications you're taking at the same time.

Very good of Weary to mention this as most folks are unaware of this.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 19:38
Yep- I've heard that, but it is always good to reiterate it.

Has anyone ever tried Excedrin Back and Body? (I think that's what it's called anyway- I need to check). Has no caffeine, and seems like it might be prefect for any severe hiking pain.

mkmangold
01-14-2010, 02:00

Ok: you're crazy. Have your kidneys shut down yet? Got a bleeding ulcer yet?

harryfred
01-14-2010, 03:03
Yep- I've heard that, but it is always good to reiterate it.

Has anyone ever tried Excedrin Back and Body? (I think that's what it's called anyway- I need to check). Has no caffeine, and seems like it might be prefect for any severe hiking pain.
If is one of those Aspirin/acetaminophen mixtures I seem to remember that those are not a good idea either. IMO the ibuprofen Is the best for end of the day, I over did it pain. I only use it if I need to to get to sleep. I use aspirin for morning headaches and pains (hangovers) because it does contain aspirin. You can get aspirin without caffeine BTW. I carry 4, 220mg naproxen sodium (Aleve) tablets In case of injury I would take 2 at a time. In my line of work I have a lot of experience with aches, pains and injuries. One more time check with your Dr. and any pain killer should only be used if needed and short term. I actually carry quite a bit of pain killers and rarely use them myself. Unless you want to count the whiskey.:D