PDA

View Full Version : Footwear for hiking in sand

JERMM
01-08-2010, 12:40
What type of footwear do you use for hiking in sand?

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 12:59
I had these sandals made of straw that worked really well, but I think would be uncomfortable for more than just a stroll on the beach.

JERMM
01-08-2010, 13:03
I'm thinking Tevas with socks, but have concerns with sand spurs and constantly stopping to pluck them out.

unclemjm
01-08-2010, 13:39
How about Vibram Five Fingers? The KSO model should keep the sand out. Same issue with sandspurs though.

Ladytrekker
01-08-2010, 13:42
I'm thinking Tevas with socks, but have concerns with sand spurs and constantly stopping to pluck them out.

I just did a hike that was very sandy and I had on Tevas with socks and it worked quite well, had a little sand between the toes but nothing that was irritating.

leaftye
01-08-2010, 13:59
How about Vibram Five Fingers? The KSO model should keep the sand out. Same issue with sandspurs though.

But you'll totally get sand between your toes. :D

off-pher
01-08-2010, 15:11
Sandel in summer tevas and boots in winter. That was EZ.

JERMM
01-08-2010, 22:12
But you'll totally get sand between your toes. :D

:D

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

The Solemates
01-10-2010, 23:12
how bout just barefooted? the traditional way...:)

Reid
01-11-2010, 00:05
how bout just barefooted? the traditional way...:)

That was I was about to say. That can vary too because of different types of sand. There's a big difference between Edisto / Hilton Head, Debidue and the OBX and then MB. I like the watershoes for like pools or some old soccer shoes too.

Hammock Hanger
01-11-2010, 09:59
That was I was about to say. That can vary too because of different types of sand. There's a big difference between Edisto / Hilton Head, Debidue and the OBX and then MB. I like the watershoes for like pools or some old soccer shoes too.

I did hike barefoot through parts of FL. The sugar sand is soft and sweet. Remember that the dry grass can hide prickers.

Hammock Hanger
01-11-2010, 10:02
What type of footwear do you use for hiking in sand?

I have hiked barefoot, sandals, sneakers, boots... Remember that sand can be very abrasive when stuck between sock and skin.

I currently wear trail runners, with short gaiters to keep the sand and scree out.

Chacos with water socks works pretty well.