PDA

View Full Version : novice hiker drafts a clothing list: will i freeze?

jhnewlin
01-08-2010, 14:42
I tell you what, this site has been the best resource i've found since i started planning my 2010 thru hike! but sometimes its so overwhelming because there is SO much information---so i figured i'd try posting and focusing my queries:

I'm leaving in late march from Springer---based on what i've read and my very-limited experience, this is the clothing list i came up with (i figure i'll mail things home as it warms up). I don't want to pack more than i need, but i don't want to freeze. :)

Am i even close??

3 pair smartwool
2 liner socks
underarmour tights
long sleeve underarmour top
microfleece tights
long sleeve 1/2 zip fleece
coolmax tshirt
pr. nylon shorts
north face convertible pants
down puffy (recommendations??)
cloudveil zorro LT storm shell jacket
fleece cap
turtle fur gaiter
gloves & liners
asolo smarty goretex boots

Nean
01-08-2010, 14:54
I tell you what, this site has been the best resource i've found since i started planning my 2010 thru hike! but sometimes its so overwhelming because there is SO much information---so i figured i'd try posting and focusing my queries:

I'm leaving in late march from Springer---based on what i've read and my very-limited experience, this is the clothing list i came up with (i figure i'll mail things home as it warms up). I don't want to pack more than i need, but i don't want to freeze. :)

Am i even close??

3 pair smartwool> worst sock on the market. Replace w/ Darn tough
2 liner socks>Loose em or use them by themselves
underarmour tights> Good
long sleeve underarmour top>good
microfleece tights>l no need
long sleeve 1/2 zip fleece>ok
coolmax tshirt>ok
pr. nylon shorts>pants>no need
down puffy (recommendations??)>no need
cloudveil zorro LT storm shell jacket>raingear ok
fleece cap>for now
turtle fur gaiter>no
gloves & liners>for now
asolo smarty goretex boots> I'd go with runners

Nean
01-08-2010, 14:59
> I'd go with runners

Some how that didn't all work when I hit submit. Need shorts but not the pants in my opinion. Wind pants are lighter and my come in handy for the first couple months.

bigcranky
01-08-2010, 15:03
Actually, that's a pretty good list. You have light layers, and mid layers, and a down jacket, and you can mix and match as needed depending on the weather. Very similar to my own clothing list, which of course makes it the right list (HMHDI!) :)

I like to carry a lightweight single-layer wind shirt to wear over my base layer when hiking in cool or cold conditions. I also carry rain pants for bad weather in March and April. And something to wear on my feet in camp, and maybe a heavier hat or a fleece balaclava for camp/sleeping.

Re: down jacket. Something like the Montbell Alpine Light Parka. More down and warmer than the UL Down Inner, and the hood is key.

bigcranky
01-08-2010, 15:04
Oh, let me add that I bring the rain pants, but I don't carry other long pants. Just the base layer bottoms and midweight (Powerstretch) tights if it's really cold. I hike in shorts pretty much all the time.

Compass
01-08-2010, 15:21
Neck Gaitor. Make sure ears are covered.

Spokes
01-08-2010, 15:26
All you need to know......

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Blissful
01-08-2010, 18:11
Looks pretty good. Don't need shorts though if you have convertible pants

I just got one of the lightweight Lands end down jackets, haven't used it yet though

Nean
01-08-2010, 18:55
Part of my thought process is that you're a young man(?) and I'd guess good shape. Older or out of shape folk move slower and need more warmth. Girls get colder quicker in most cases as well. Late March means most of winter will be behind you. You have about the same as I do now-for winter. I know my limits, know I sleep warm, know I hike warm and think warm fuzzy thoughts. When you get to Neel Gap, look me up and I'll give ya a world famous Mountain Crossings shakedown!

tammons
01-08-2010, 21:16
Personally I would swap out the down jacket for synthetic jacket with a hood, like a montbell thermawrap. They are a really tight fit for the size though. I am borderline L-XL and no way can I wear a thremawrap XL parka over much of anything.
Weighs 12.8 oz for a med.

A BPL 60 parka is a roomy short parka but they are out of stock. Weighs about the same as above.

I take 2 pairs of light/med weight smartwool socks and one heavy weight for sleeping.

I agree with the trail runners.
I am a boot person too, but slugging along on the wet trails of the AT
your boots will eventually get wet and they will never dry out.
Just get some Asics non waterproof runners like GEL-Trabuco
so you can dry them out.

I am actually considering also taking some vibram 5 fingers or crocs (gak) for water crossings and a spare pair/camp shoes etc. Read somewhere recently where somebody here did a complete thru with crocs.

Also I cant go anywhere without a down or synthetic vest.
I think I am going to build a Thru hiker minima vest. They weigh about 5 oz.

jhnewlin
01-09-2010, 15:24
thanks for the advice everybody---- i appreciate it for sure!

tammons
01-09-2010, 16:02
Add to that a a synthetic jacket with a hood with DWR.

Bags4266
01-09-2010, 16:28
I second the Lands End Jacket. You can buy it for around $55.00 700 fill weight I think. And you won't be upset if something happens to it, keeps your costs down.

4shot
01-10-2010, 00:22
I second the Lands End Jacket. You can buy it for around $55.00 700 fill weight I think. And you won't be upset if something happens to it, keeps your costs down.

I just came back from a 2 night trip at Big South fork with temperatures in the 10 - 15 degree range. Wore this in camp over a poly base layer and a wool shirt. I was comfortable plus it also makes a great pillow. For the money, one of the best deals around.

Tinker
01-10-2010, 00:35
If you're hiking in Gore-tex boots you will probably need some rain pants to keep the rain from running down your legs, soaking your socks, and eliminating whatever advantage (I say none, in the long run) having Gore-tex inserts in your boots may have. If you already have the boots, fine, but you'd do better, if you want dry feet in wet weather (pretty much impossible in my experience) to buy some Gore-tex socks to wear inside breathable boots (note: that's exactly what Gore calls their liners - sock liners - they're just not removeable).

jesse
01-10-2010, 01:23
Temps in Bloomington will be in the teens for the next few days. When you get home from work, get dressed spend the entire night outdoors with only the gear/clothes you plan to take. You'll know.