PDA

View Full Version : Hikin' in da moonlight

V.I.P.
01-08-2010, 14:42
Howlin' good times are had hiking under a full moon or by starlight (cooperative clouds permitting). Any special moments you'd like to share from the dark side? This time of year it's of course not a long wait for sunset so we have some of our best chilly thrills. If you're in Dane county on a full moon night, come join us! 7PM: Jan 30-Valley View, Feb 28-Lodi Marsh, March 30-Ice Age Junction, April 28-Badger State in Belleville, May 27-Sugar River in Monticello. For directions contact [email protected]

mkmangold
01-08-2010, 23:55
Is Valley View a park or a town? And where is Ice Age Junction?

mkmangold
01-09-2010, 00:41
Is Valley View a park or a town? And where is Ice Age Junction?

Never mind: found them. January 30th is my birthday so maybe I'll treat myself.

Cabin Fever
01-09-2010, 12:20
Bald mountain hikes in the moonlight are my favorite. Did Grassy Ridge (Roan Highlands) last summer. It was great.

V.I.P.
01-13-2010, 18:10
Never mind: found them. January 30th is my birthday so maybe I'll treat myself.
I look forward to the chance of meeting you on such a special day :sun

Big Dawg
01-14-2010, 17:55
One of my favorite & longest night hikes,,, north of Hot Springs. The moon was bright & the leaves were off the trees.

Big Dawg
01-14-2010, 17:57
One of my favorite & longest night hikes,,, north of Hot Springs. The moon was bright & the leaves were off the trees.

duhhh.... meant to add pic to last post

V.I.P.
01-31-2010, 10:42
So... who howled at this really bright full moon with Mars coming in for its closeup? Daybreak today added a soft pink glow to the orb, what a way to book end the weekend.

IceAge
03-01-2010, 16:35
The moon won't quite be full this weekend, but I am thinking of heading out for a weekend trip. Temps in the 40s during the day, 20s at night, should be nice and muddy.

Gonna try to buy a new sleeping bag this week and if I do, I'll be on the trail.

V.I.P.
03-02-2010, 18:08
Sunday night in the Lodi Marsh was a good night hike even though the clouds didn't cooperate. The real bummer about cloud cover is that I had arranged for an astronomer to bring his telescope. We still enjoyed the Milky Way (candy bars that is) and the mild air.
For March, the hike will be in the city of Madison that will include some interpretive signs. Can't escape the street lights glow but the moraine will block the houses once we're in the prairie.

mkmangold
03-03-2010, 01:29
The moon won't quite be full this weekend, but I am thinking of heading out for a weekend trip. Temps in the 40s during the day, 20s at night, should be nice and muddy.

Gonna try to buy a new sleeping bag this week and if I do, I'll be on the trail.

Gettin' kinda itchy myself. What new bag? Can you send a report later?

mkmangold
03-03-2010, 01:32
Sunday night in the Lodi Marsh was a good night hike even though the clouds didn't cooperate. The real bummer about cloud cover is that I had arranged for an astronomer to bring his telescope. We still enjoyed the Milky Way (candy bars that is) and the mild air.
For March, the hike will be in the city of Madison that will include some interpretive signs. Can't escape the street lights glow but the moraine will block the houses once we're in the prairie.

Keep me and my boys (ages 17 and 8) in mind this year when you head out. I couldn't make the January 30th trip since I had a fight that night but I still like your interpretive flair. The boys would like the Milky Ways!

IceAge
03-03-2010, 10:30
You had a fight? You boxing now?

V.I.P.
03-31-2010, 17:24
Sierra Club, Ice Age Trail Alliance and Madison Energizers Meetup came together for a great hike last night on the Verona segment/Badger Prairie park. Those that strolled and enjoyed the night lights saw an orange moon glowing just at the horizon upon the return from the interpretive signage. It seemed to quickly rise and become fully rounded in no time at all. For all the first timers who just discovered this little pocket of prairie in their backyard-- we wish you many happy returns!

In April we will be in the 'absolute' dark of a curved tunnel... wwwhhooooo