PDA

View Full Version : Starting date for the AT in Penn or MD

horicon
01-08-2010, 14:50
Would March 14 or 15 be a good time to start in Penn or MD.

emerald
01-08-2010, 15:43
What direction would you be headed and how long would you intend to be out?

horicon
01-08-2010, 15:55
I will be out for about 5 days? Direction is still open.

emerald
01-08-2010, 16:10
If you can delay your hike, I'd recommend it. Occasionally, we'll get the biggest snow storm of the season in March. It's also quite windy at times.

By the end of the March, temperatures don't fluctuate as much and it's apt to be a bit warmer and less windy. You may be able to pick your weather if you are able to act on short notice.

Our Spring ephemerals (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=575337&postcount=19) on the AT begin to bloom in late March led by hepatica and soon followed by others.

horicon
01-08-2010, 16:14
Thanks, ust a short not I am still employed and I do not know how much or short notice I can give at work. I have to work around other people to get time off.

emerald
01-08-2010, 16:18
Try to get a block of time in early April.

ki0eh
01-09-2010, 10:50
I'm a little more optimistic about March on the PA A.T. Early April would be better but I think March is fairly doable assuming you have a workable layering system. In 2009 I saw 80* temps in Lehigh Gap in March! I've done a couple of March trips on the PA MST which is much more marginal as that area further out in PA gets more ice/snow and holds it longer. The March nor'easter varies in date, and certainly didn't come at all last year. If March is the only time you can come, then I'd say to come out!

ki0eh
01-09-2010, 10:59
Oh, if you haven't done any of PA or MD yet, for March I'd recommend coming into either Duncannon or Harpers Ferry from the north, backing out what your five day distance is. The Cumberland Valley is likely to be pretty muddy in March but otherwise you have some rocks to cut down on the mud. :D

If you're into seeing signs of old historic stuff, that's easier to do in March in, say, SGL 211 around Rausch Gap and Yellow Springs, when the snow's mostly off, leaves matted down and still off the trees, and no hunters. Similar thoughts apply to the old Camp Michaux area - former German POW camp just south of Pine Grove Furnace.

I keep meaning to write an article about late winter/early spring hiking with X-ray vision. I don't know if that's your motivation for getting out, but for me "mud season" is actually among the most enjoyable times to be afoot in the woods.

Foyt20
01-09-2010, 11:44
Oh, if you haven't done any of PA or MD yet, for March I'd recommend coming into either Duncannon or Harpers Ferry from the north, backing out what your five day distance is. The Cumberland Valley is likely to be pretty muddy in March but otherwise you have some rocks to cut down on the mud. :D

If you're into seeing signs of old historic stuff, that's easier to do in March in, say, SGL 211 around Rausch Gap and Yellow Springs, when the snow's mostly off, leaves matted down and still off the trees, and no hunters. Similar thoughts apply to the old Camp Michaux area - former German POW camp just south of Pine Grove Furnace.

I keep meaning to write an article about late winter/early spring hiking with X-ray vision. I don't know if that's your motivation for getting out, but for me "mud season" is actually among the most enjoyable times to be afoot in the woods.

Is that the wall/ building in the woods about 1 or two miles from pine grove furnace?

harryfred
01-09-2010, 12:47
Is that the wall/ building in the woods about 1 or two miles from pine grove furnace?
No that's an old farm house. There really isn't much recognisable of the old CCC camp. As you are headed north for a short time the trail is on Old Michaux Road (gravel) just before it turns back off, and before you pass the old stone house ruins, look to your right you will see a parallel row of pine trees That is the entrance to the CCC camp If you go back in and look around you can just barely make out where the old building foundations were. You can find the foundation for the flag pole the was in front of the main building.