PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for a cause??? Help?

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 14:56
So, my upcoming thru is 6 weeks away, and I am considering (considering, mind you) hiking for a cause to which I am devoted. And I am looking for advice on how to go about this. Let me first make it clear that I want NONE of the money to go to supporting my hike, just the charity.

I'm only considering this. I'm not sure that I like the idea of being beholden to anyone or anything on my thru. I am also not a huge fan of publicity. Let's say for the moment, that I'm just curious. Have you ever done this? How would I go about it? Would I contact the charity and let them know what I want to do first? Or just donate the money when I finish my hike? Or just ask people to donate straight to the charity? Thanks for help and advice in advance,
-Shlep

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 14:57
PS- Sorry if this is a little disorganized.

Ender
01-08-2010, 15:01
How would I go about it? Would I contact the charity and let them know what I want to do first? Or just donate the money when I finish my hike? Or just ask people to donate straight to the charity? Thanks for help and advice in advance,
-Shlep

If you do decide to do this, and I suggest you don't (but that's for another thread), have people donate directly to the charity. That way there is no way you could be seen as doing it for your own gain. Plenty of the larger charities you can set up a link online that people can donate to via your website or email link or whatever.

Nean
01-08-2010, 15:23
I've done it several times and was very happy about the money I raised, 25k-how I did it -direct to the charity. It didn't concern anyone I met on the trail, it was a back home deal and didn't effect my hike at all. The naysayers reasons are easily discounted if you do it for the right reasons and the right way.

I did do a fourth charity hike and was disillusioned by the the fact that this person and his friends seemed to benifit more than the charity. I've met a few folks who think it is ok, as long as the charity benifits in some way, as well. If you need to help dying kids to help pay for your medical - dental- room and board- meals- friends-well I think you'd be a user, not a humantarian as this guy thought of himself.

PM me if I can provide any more insight.

warraghiyagey
01-08-2010, 15:27
Had a friend from the UK that hiked on the AT for a charitable cause. . . donations went straight to the charity. . . amount was based on each 100 miles he completed. . . he found the donors who then paid the charity directly when he was done. . .

Hyway
01-08-2010, 15:27
shlep, I am doing the same thing. I don't know if my hike will generate any donations, but any is better than none. I too am telling people to donate directly to the charity. Here is my TJ entry where I tell people what charity I am hiking for http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=295870 I am sure there are much better ways than this to do it though

When I see people using charity to fund their hike I can't help myself, but I instantly think less of that person.

Magic Man
01-08-2010, 16:12
Here's how Boo-Boo set up her fund-raising hike in 2007

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=211762

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 16:18
I think (if I do this), I'll talk to the charity and see if they would do it directly from their page. (Like a little button on the side that says "donate $0.01, per mile, all proceeds go directly to us)

I dunno though, it's a pretty big group, and they might not be interested in something that may not end up yielding much- I don't even know if I'll be able to get a hold of anyone there.

white_russian
01-08-2010, 16:52
If you want to give a charity some free advertising that is cool and just put a link on a blog or something, but trying to organize things on your end is just too much trouble when you are out there trying to accomplish something that has the odds stacked against you. Just do it like Bob Barker did at the end of every price is right, "don't forget to spay and neuter your pets", just substitute your group and put it at the end of every blog entry.

Reid
01-08-2010, 17:55
Getting sponsers is time consuming

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 18:34
True, but it is something I'd like to draw attention to, that's more important.

leaftye
01-08-2010, 19:33
Do you have someone back home that can be a cheerleader for you? I think it'd be a lot easier for you to focus on your thing, and have that person back home working on generating publicity.

tintin
01-08-2010, 20:17
I will be thru-hiking the AT to raise awareness of mental health issues and to help challenge the stigma associated with mental illness. I will also be raising money in aid of a charity that I have helped create. I have already done a 4500 mile bike trip and a 1200 mile bike trip with the same aims and have had great success. I use justgiving and so all the money raised goes directly to the charity. Since completing these bike trips I have gone on to become a lead advisor for a governmental campaign to tackle discrimination and stigma of mental illness in both the media and work place.

It was not a problem for me before and I'm sure it won't be on the trail. If you can help someone or an organisation then why not?

If I didn't have a mental illness and wasn't passionate about promoting change in this area, then I doubt I would be driven enough to have made a thru-hike attempt on the AT in two months time a reality for me.

Charity adventures are very popular in the UK and many remarkable accomplishments have been made with positive changes arising from them. This is particularly popular with kids taking a year out in between graduating from our equivalent of high school and before starting college. My favourite were two English lads who managed to get from Pole to Pole using only human or natural power, raising money for Climate Change Awareness in the process.

Bearpaw
01-08-2010, 20:24
I'd advise against it. You're going to be busy enough these last few weeks, arranging last-minute logistics, handling any financial arrangements to cover things while you're gone, and just generally overcoming nervous energy. Adding the issues of a charity and all its issues is a complication you probably don't need. Besides, the hike no longer becomes "your" hike. It will, to an extent, become "our" hike, shared with people that will never really understand what a thru-hike is like.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 21:27
I will be thru-hiking the AT to raise awareness of mental health issues and to help challenge the stigma associated with mental illness. I will also be raising money in aid of a charity that I have helped create. I have already done a 4500 mile bike trip and a 1200 mile bike trip with the same aims and have had great success. I use justgiving and so all the money raised goes directly to the charity. Since completing these bike trips I have gone on to become a lead advisor for a governmental campaign to tackle discrimination and stigma of mental illness in both the media and work place.

It was not a problem for me before and I'm sure it won't be on the trail. If you can help someone or an organisation then why not?

If I didn't have a mental illness and wasn't passionate about promoting change in this area, then I doubt I would be driven enough to have made a thru-hike attempt on the AT in two months time a reality for me.

Charity adventures are very popular in the UK and many remarkable accomplishments have been made with positive changes arising from them. This is particularly popular with kids taking a year out in between graduating from our equivalent of high school and before starting college. My favourite were two English lads who managed to get from Pole to Pole using only human or natural power, raising money for Climate Change Awareness in the process.

Wow, very nice TinTin- very good cause. Sent you a PM about how you do this.

And Bearpaw, I've finished everything. I know, you're never really finished planning. But if I had to, I could leave now. So I do have time. But the real question is, do I want to deal with this now and do I want a burden during my hike? (That was rhetorical, everyone- you don't need to answer that one for me.)

Graywolf
01-08-2010, 22:21
havn't really seen a lot of hikers doing it, but most charities will allow you to post a link from your journa/website to their site, and can even do a "DONATE HERE" tab so fols can donate directly to the Charity by clicking the tab..

A lot of bicycle tourist do that and there is a good article on it at Crazy guy On A Bike:

www.crazyguyonabike.com (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com)

Look under articles..

I say this because Biccyle touring is alot like thru-hiking, and alot of the information can go into either activities....

Good luck on your search..

Graywolf

weary
01-08-2010, 22:37
I'd advise against it. You're going to be busy enough these last few weeks, arranging last-minute logistics, handling any financial arrangements to cover things while you're gone, and just generally overcoming nervous energy. Adding the issues of a charity and all its issues is a complication you probably don't need. Besides, the hike no longer becomes "your" hike. It will, to an extent, become "our" hike, shared with people that will never really understand what a thru-hike is like.
I agree with Bearpaw. Hike because you need to hike. That's challenge enough. Enjoy the walk, the trail, the side trails, the people you'll meet, the physical challenge, the mental challenge. You have decades to do charitable things. For the next six months just do the trail.

Weary

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 22:43
Alright, I suppose you've convinced me. If I end up doing another thru hike (of wherever, if I still like hiking :D ), I'll do it then. This is my first real adventure, and it should be just for me.

Cabin Fever
01-08-2010, 23:05
I think you need to focus on finishing this one first.

garlic08
01-08-2010, 23:24
A friend did a fund raiser hike on his second AT thru. He handled no money--all proceeds went directly to the organizations, so nothing went to his expenses. It was a great way for him to enjoy it a second time, especially since he was earning over $7 a mile for medical research.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 23:33
I think you need to focus on finishing this one first.

Yeah- I didn't mean I was going to think about it now, just that I'd put it on reserve to think about it later, when I'm finished.

A friend did a fund raiser hike on his second AT thru. He handled no money--all proceeds went directly to the organizations, so nothing went to his expenses. It was a great way for him to enjoy it a second time, especially since he was earning over $7 a mile for medical research.

Cool- sounds good Garlic.

tintin
01-09-2010, 07:14
If Shlep wants to raise some money for a good cause then telling he what you think she should be doing is both conceited and arrogant. It will still be thru-hike if she does so. How will it not be one if she does? Just because some of you have successfully thru-hiked, that does not give you the right to pass judgement on what constitutes a proper thru-hike experience.

It will become part of her journey, part of her life story if she does so and in my experience - will enrich it. It may even give her extra motivation. It really isn't that difficult.

I'm putting this down to cultural differences. If this was an English based forum there would be words of encouragement and advise. It has been no added burden to me. It has not been a hassle. It won't be hard for me to do. I will pass on the benefit of my experience to Shlep rather than dissuade to perhaps trump up my own accomplishments (a massive judgement there but people seem more than happy to make sweeping assumptions on these forums)

"the person who says it can't be done should never interrupt the person who is doing it"

Blissful
01-09-2010, 11:45
If this was an English based forum there would be words of encouragement and advise. It has been no added burden to me. It has not been a hassle. It won't be hard for me to do. I will pass on the benefit of my experience to Shlep rather than dissuade to perhaps trump up my own accomplishments (a massive judgement there but people seem more than happy to make sweeping assumptions on these forums)

"the person who says it can't be done should never interrupt the person who is doing it"

She was asking for advice which people were giving, including pros and cons. And yes, this is a USA (and proud of it) forum with the idea of freedom in expression and ideas. And people here are giving different ideas, including the idea that concentrating on the actual hike this late in the game might be a good idea (and yes, from those who have been in the trenches and who have actually done it! And who may be interested in having this hiker and others fulfill the dream).

So "chill out". And maybe invest in an English forum too which would be good idea.

Nean
01-09-2010, 12:22
People give advice based on their own experience, and if they have never done a charity hike- perceptions.:-?
Anything worthwhile takes a certain amount of effort.:) Not doing anything is of course, easier.

It took me about 2 weeks to plan, prepare, research my first thru. That includes buying ALL my gear as I wasn't a backpacker, or dayhiker. So preparing to take a walk doesn't fly w/ me.:eek:
My thought is if a person really wanted to hike for a cause- they would. Perhaps a person sitting on the fence is looking for reasons not to do it too.;) Their personal decision will be the right one, regardless.:)

tintin
01-09-2010, 14:16
She was asking for advice which people were giving, including pros and cons. And yes, this is a USA (and proud of it) forum with the idea of freedom in expression and ideas. And people here are giving different ideas, including the idea that concentrating on the actual hike this late in the game might be a good idea (and yes, from those who have been in the trenches and who have actually done it! And who may be interested in having this hiker and others fulfill the dream).

So "chill out". And maybe invest in an English forum too which would be good idea.

I was tad irate and did write in anger, which I shouldn't have done. I was going to edit the post but that's not being responsible. I hold my hands up to that.

I wasn't being anti-american or pro-english. I was trying to make the point that this is very common in the UK and is starting to take off in the US and was somewhat astounded at the responses. We of course enjoy the same levels of freedom of expression here.

I have lost count of the amount of time I have visited the US. I just had my friend from Milwaukee come stay with me over Xmas and the new year (whom I did my bike trip through SE Asia with). I spent my "gap year" in a sumer camp in the US on the AT's doorstep. It was the best summer of my life. I'm not renown for my patriotism.

I just believe cynicism serves nobody. There are ways to highlight possible drawbacks rather than firmly make the point that "this is a bad idea" which is how many a post reads.

There are so many benefits to doing something like this. If you want something grand then a lot of effort is needed to be put in. Raising $1000 can be done with very little effort. I also believe that undertaking something like this has great personal development benefits.

I am willing to mentor ShLep.

tintin
01-09-2010, 14:18
Tony Fowler, Director of Interagency Affairs, U.S. Department of Education, says:

"The benefits to young people taking a constructive gap year before or after college are evident in the UK. Encouraged by Universities and valued by employers, the gap year provides young people of all backgrounds a level playing field and an invaluable step ahead in life. It is also encouraging to see so many young people engaging in volunteering projects, both at home and overseas and creating fundraising opportunities to raise the money themselves. All these qualities are valued in young Americans and as such, the case for monitoring the development of this new option is compelling. I have long been interested in service learning and the Gap Year is an ideal way for American students to provide community and global service as well as gain valuable career experience. We are therefore very interested in seeing the positive outcomes of this new Gap Year option appearing in America. We will be working closely with Tom Griffiths (founder of gapyear.com) and our UK counterparts to ensure we nurture this option to the benefit of our young people and society".

Hyway
01-09-2010, 17:59
I am encouraging my daughters to take a gap year before they start college. That as long as they do something fulfilling. taking a year off to hang out at the beach and sponge off me isn't fulfilling :)

tintin
01-10-2010, 07:39
I am encouraging my daughters to take a gap year before they start college. That as long as they do something fulfilling. taking a year off to hang out at the beach and sponge off me isn't fulfilling :)

It's quite common for the average high-school graduates to get a job once they've finished high-school and work up until january early feb. A lot of the projects that gap year providers offer begin in this month.

I worked for one provider early this year. We spent 2 months working on various projects in the jungle in Belize (cave surveying and tree planting), whilst learning survival skills too. They then spent 1 month living with a Guatemalan family learning Spanish and about Mayan culture. The final 2 months was spent teaching in various villages, again, living with a host family (all classes are taught in English in Belize). They spent their final week doing their PADI Open Water diving course.

There are lots of similar, fulfilling projects out there. Gapyear.com is a really good website to see what is on offer.

ShelterLeopard
01-12-2010, 12:15
Okay, I have decided definitely not to hike for charity this time around, this is going to be a hike just for me. Thanks all for your advice!

Mods can close the thread now, thanks.

HikerRanky
01-12-2010, 13:15
Closed per OP request...