PDA

View Full Version : Any Hiker Chicks?

Poppa Yeti
01-08-2010, 15:00
(Please forgive my inability to resist the play on words.)

Hello, friends... I am a divorced father of two wonderful little girls, and a frequent long-distance FT hiker. If it is inappropriate to make this inquiry, I am sure the post will be deleted and hope that the moderaters will forgive me.

I would like to meet a woman that enjoys hiking as I do. I date occasionally, but most women--like most people--just "don't get it" when it comes to the hiking/camping/backpacking impulse.

I intend to continue the FT north from Hampton and/or south from Christmas (I've done the in-between sections) heading for the termini with a female hiking companion... if someone is interested, please let me know.

Hike On,

keith

off-pher
01-08-2010, 15:09
There are a few women hikers here. However this is not a match making forum. It's about hiking, gear, trails, food, and such! This is not the place to find that special
someone.

Poppa Yeti
01-08-2010, 17:10
Yeah, I know... I hope I don't come off sounding like a heel. The only "trail enthusiasts" "dating" site is fitness singles or something like that, and there aren't many hikers there as I recall. I gave up on that after one month.

Thanks,

keith

Nean
01-08-2010, 18:09
The BEST place to find a trail gal is on the trail....or so I've heard.;)

on the other hand, you're honest, and that doesn't bother me. Good luck!:)

leaftye
01-08-2010, 18:17
Pff, the best place to find trail chicks are at hiker bars.

Big Dawg
01-08-2010, 18:29
I've heard hiking clubs are good places to meet chicks who are interested in hiking/camping. If there's any hiking clubs in your area, check to see if they have any planned day or overnight hikes w/ other members. One of those members may be the special someone you're looking for. Or you could always hang out on Springer Mtn during the thru-hiker rush... March/April.

Nean
01-08-2010, 18:40
....or the SoRuck next weekend.:) I hear girls go there looking for guys!:eek:

Mags
01-08-2010, 18:41
Go hiking, backpacking, whatever with groups with the intention of having fun and meeting friends. Don't go looking for a relationship..otherwise it probably won't happen. Just go with the flow, have a good time and the positive energy you have will make you attractive to the right person.

I also suggest once you get in the club, you organize some fun hikes (Moonlight hikes are great!). Social hikes with a group of fun people are great ways of making friends..and some of those friends may turn into romantic relationships.

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 18:54
I think this isn't the right forum to find hiker dates, there are a couple forums that are designed specifically for active people to meet (one of those where you check female/male seeking female/male who likes hiking, skiing, etc...), and there may even be a couple forums designed specifically for hikers to meet. I can't think of what they are right now, but you could probably google something like "match finder hiking" and see what comes up.

You'll have more luck there than here, because most people herre aren't looking for dates. Good luck!

Nean
01-08-2010, 18:59
Go hiking, backpacking, whatever with groups with the intention of having fun and meeting friends. Don't go looking for a relationship..otherwise it probably won't happen. Just go with the flow, have a good time and the positive energy you have will make you attractive to the right person.

I also suggest once you get in the club, you organize some fun hikes (Moonlight hikes are great!). Social hikes with a group of fun people are great ways of making friends..and some of those friends may turn into romantic relationships.

Soo Mags, that works?:D

Toolshed
01-08-2010, 18:59

Great Advice.... When I used to lead hikes in a couple of outdoor organizations, it seemed it was like 60% women between 35 and 70 who signed up and at least half or more were divorced, single or widowed. they were always curteous and friendly and very, very talkative within almost all in the groups I lead - I know of at least 1/2 dozen hook-ups that occured and lasted for more than a couple of years (3 couples are married). But I can say, what they absolutely never wanted was Quagmire showing up.

Hikerhead
01-08-2010, 19:02
The women's hiking association would be a good place to start.

Sly
01-08-2010, 19:47
There are a few women hikers here. However this is not a match making forum. It's about hiking, gear, trails, food, and such! This is not the place to find that special
someone.

I'm sure Whiteblaze had led to several romances. Jack and Warren for instance. :p

Jester2000
01-08-2010, 19:52
....or the SoRuck next weekend.:)

The BEST place to find a trail gal is on the trail....or so I've heard.;)
QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Big Dawg;947689]I've heard hiking clubs are good places to meet chicks who are interested in hiking/camping. . .

I think all of these are excellent ideas. Some outfitters also organize hikes, and you might meet someone with similar interest there.

Nean
01-08-2010, 19:53
I'm sure Whiteblaze had led to several romances. Jack and Warren for instance. :p

Wish I had a fresh Depends on BEFORE I read that! :D:p

double d
01-08-2010, 19:54
You'll have more luck there than here, because most people herre aren't looking for dates. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Ahhhh yes, very true wisdom, soooo very true, but.......when it comes to life, love (and maybe even a little somethin'-somethin' once in a while) and hiking, ............looking and finding are two different issues(as Mags points out), and besides my wife never went hiking until she met her soul mate and went on numerous hiking trips (and then after a couple of years with that moron, she started dating me and we even got married after a few years;)).

ChinMusic
01-08-2010, 19:59
Hey Yeti - That "double d" poster might sound like a lead but look closer at the avatar........

Mags
01-08-2010, 21:43
Soo Mags, that works?:D

I love moonlight hikes. :sun

We became friends on moonlit hikes I lead...and the rest is history.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs154.snc3/18167_234337553086_565358086_3322608_5322191_n.jpg

Pacific Tortuga
01-08-2010, 21:52
someone.

Why isn't there a match making forum here ? Double D might have trouble. :)

ShelterLeopard
01-08-2010, 22:01
Yeah, I know... I hope I don't come off sounding like a heel. The only "trail enthusiasts" "dating" site is fitness singles or something like that, and there aren't many hikers there as I recall. I gave up on that after one month.

Thanks,

keith

Oops, sorry- I didn't read this post before I posted my (now superflous) advice!

PS- Let me know if you find a whole dating site for finding hiking chicks! ;)

Dogwood
01-08-2010, 22:04
I find it oddly interesting, when I first looked at the title of this thread, that this thread, "Any Hiker Chicks?" was right next to a thread with the title, "Savory Steamed Muffins!"

Scruffy
01-08-2010, 23:00
MMMMMMMMMMMM Muffins :D

Sly
01-09-2010, 00:56

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs154.snc3/18167_234337553086_565358086_3322608_5322191_n.jpg

History all ready??? She looks like a keeper!! Come on Mags!

Nean
01-09-2010, 00:58
History all ready??? She looks like a keeper!! Come on Mags!

I don't know Sly... they really don't look happy, do they?:D:D

double d
01-09-2010, 02:09

Great picture Mags;) BTW: is that a spiked Shamrock Shake you got in your left hand??

Desert Reprobate
01-09-2010, 02:50
At your age, all your cougars are in their 60s. It is hard for them to keep up.

Dogwood
01-09-2010, 03:11
Mags, have you tweezed those brows yet? Looks like you got a partial controlled burn site going on ontop the mountain, but the new growth is starting to cover up the trail!

Toolshed
01-09-2010, 09:13
.... :sun

WOW!!! You're Mags???? What happened to the good-looking guy that was hiking the CDT, that I saw on PBS?!?!?!?!? :sun

Hooch
01-09-2010, 09:28
I'm sure Whiteblaze had led to several romances. Yep, my girlsfriend for a year now, the always lovely Dancer and I met at SoRuck. :D:D

rjridgely
01-09-2010, 09:28
http://www.chickswithpicks.net/

Hooch
01-09-2010, 09:32
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs154.snc3/18167_234337553086_565358086_3322608_5322191_n.jpg More ammo. Great. Yet more photographic evidence that Mags does indeed suck. :rolleyes::eek::D

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2010, 10:14
I've heard hiking clubs are good places to meet chicks who are interested in hiking/camping. If there's any hiking clubs in your area, check to see if they have any planned day or overnight hikes w/ other members. One of those members may be the special someone you're looking for. Or you could always hang out on Springer Mtn during the thru-hiker rush... March/April.

I will second that, even when I am with the club, they will talk your ear off while going down the trail, nothing like a freindly face and some spare time.... :D

I know you are trying be funny Hooch but the above post seems a bit mean due to word choice.

Hooch
01-09-2010, 10:26
I know you are trying be funny Hooch but the above post seems a bit mean due to word choice.'Preciate ya, but Mags is a friend and knows exactly what I mean by my post. But thanks for playing anyway. :rolleyes:

Nean
01-09-2010, 12:00
'Preciate ya, but Mags is a friend and knows exactly what I mean by my post. But thanks for playing anyway. :rolleyes:

Agreed, your post was dripping with:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. On the other hand there are a couple of other post that seem a bit mean spirited.:mad: They're jealous I reckon.:confused:

Rockhound
01-09-2010, 14:04
....or the SoRuck next weekend.:) I hear girls go there looking for guys!:eek:
especially the redheads

Nean
01-09-2010, 14:07
especially the redheads

I've sworn off redheads lol.:D

Mags
01-09-2010, 17:55
Hooch meant it in good fun. It is becoming a joke because of all great places I go to in CO..and I rub it in, quite meanly, with photos. So, many of the online hikers will "Mags..you suck"..and it puts a very big grin on my face. :) It's all good...
(I sucked again today...blue skies, sunny, fresh snow, no wind!)

Toolshed: Male pattern baldness and being clean shaven. :)

Dogwood: I'm a wop. It happens. I'll leave the sculpting to metrosexuals. :) I blame gene pool. OTOH, good enough for Marty Scorsese..good enough for me. ;)

Shamrock Shake: Heh..'fraid not. Plastic ware leftover from a bike event the host put together earlier this year. Made from corn starch. Which is really important when drinking Vodka tonics.... ;)

Egads
01-09-2010, 18:32
We all say "Mags Sux", but it's just our envy talking:D

It's not right for the tard to tease us with photogs of his hikes. He knows it and does it just to spite us.

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2010, 21:40
Yea mags I remember the thread now, didn.t put it together this morning.

Hooch
01-09-2010, 21:45
Yea mags I remember the thread now, didn.t put it together this morning.What you meant to say was, "Sorry, Hooch. I was wrong.". :rolleyes::D:p

weary
01-10-2010, 13:37
The ratio is getting better, but the trail continues to have many more males than females. But matches are relatively common on the trail. I know of three personally.

I'm still married to the girl I met 50 years ago. When I first suggested we go camping, she replied, "I'm not going to lower myself to sleep on the ground." But I trained her. Now all our vacations involve camping and hiking. My wife no longer does strenuous walks. But she once made it to the summit of Katahdin, with our three kids, then aged 5 through 8.

Weary

WalkingStick75
01-10-2010, 13:47
Check out meetup.com they seem to have a variety of people. I think you will find people that like the outdoors and some that are looking for a little more. In my life experience finding somebody just happens the more you look the more disappointing the results. Enjoy life.

Nean
01-10-2010, 14:00
The ratio is getting better, but the trail continues to have many more males than females. But matches are relatively common on the trail. I know of three personally.

>>Heck, there are so many out there these days that it getting hard to choose which one ya want to hike with.:D

I'm still married to the girl I met 50 years ago. When I first suggested we go camping, she replied, "I'm not going to lower myself to sleep on the ground." But I trained her. Now all our vacations involve camping and hiking. My wife no longer does strenuous walks. But she once made it to the summit of Katahdin, with our three kids, then aged 5 through 8.

>>Sounds like you've had a wonderful life Weary!:sun
Weary

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana

jnanagardener
01-10-2010, 16:00
I recently joined a meetup group called Florida Trekkers. We hiked (most camped) yesterday in Paynes Prairie. Great people. Well organized. Check it out.

kayak karl
01-10-2010, 16:20
....or the soruck next weekend.:) i hear girls go there looking for guys!:eek:
roflmao....:D

Red Hat
01-11-2010, 09:31
roflmao....:D

I'm going, but not looking... of course, I wasn't looking when I found the last one 25 years ago.

BumpJumper
01-11-2010, 09:48
Karl, what is so funny about that? I want to come up there just to meet YOU!!!:D
Yetti....go to Floridahikes.com. I started a hiking group called Single Hikers. Go for it man....
I am actually putting together a hike for singles as soon as we get enough folks on it.:sun

Hammock Hanger
01-11-2010, 09:55
I recently joined a meetup group called Florida Trekkers. We hiked (most camped) yesterday in Paynes Prairie. Great people. Well organized. Check it out.

Donna does a nice job of organizing.

BumpJumper
01-11-2010, 09:59
Well Sue, I guess I will "hike" on over to that one too and check it out.

weary
01-11-2010, 23:30
[QUOTE=Nean;[/QUOTE]Well. "Wonderful" is in the eyes of the beholder. I sense that I've certainly been more lucky than most. My wife remains a best friend -- and lover.

I earned a living most of these years mostly in work that I've enjoyed doing immensely. Not for the money, which was always a bit on the skimpy side. But the continuing sense that I might be doing, or have done something useful, both before and after retirement, has helped.

All my five siblings are wealthier. None strike me as happier.

Okay. That's enough philosophizing for one week -- and it's only Monday!

Weary

BumpJumper
01-12-2010, 07:57
red hat...that is the key right there. They all say you find someone when you are not looking....so I hear.:-?

weary
01-12-2010, 09:48
red hat...that is the key right there. They all say you find someone when you are not looking....so I hear.:-?
Despite all the talk men do, a lot of the time it's a case of the woman finding us.

BumpJumper
01-12-2010, 16:53
That is true as well weary. The book, Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus says it clearly. But I didnt need a stinkin book to tell me that.
I just started a singles hiking group on florida hikes. I have been swarmed with emails thanking me and telling me what a good idea it was to have a place for folks with like minded interests could talk and have gatherings or whatever.
Now, if they would just log on...:rolleyes: