PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Hightop Thru-Hiking Boots

spvceman
01-08-2010, 16:45
When I was planning my '09 NOBO, the toughest thing for me was finding the right pair of boots. I finally ran across the pair that worked best for me—someone with bad ankles and orthotics (which rule out trail-runners)—were a pair of high-top, super-light, NON goretex boots. After a few horrible experiences with a pair of Montrail Hardrock Mids (shoddy seams, de-lamination, and the general retardedness of having goretex mid-top boots), I finally ran across my favorite pair, which I wore all the way to the end:

http://www.endfootwear.com/?event=product.detail&categoryID=117&expanded=28&productID=2344

For me, the END stumptown LT's were perfect thru-hiking shoes, because they're superlight hightops with a runner's sole and breathable mesh uppers. Plus, they're environmentally friendly. (Which helps to ease the conscience, when you're burning through three pairs in six months...)

Anyway, I know this forum isn't for pimping one product or another, but most people don't seem to know that this company exists, and I know when I was embarking on my thru I would have appreciated the tip.

Does anyone else have any other favorites?

SP☆CEMAN
NOBO '09

Ender
01-08-2010, 17:12
Never heard of them before... good to know about.

I still haven't found the perfect boot/shoe. Loved my Vasque Sundowners back in the day, but am looking for something lighter now.

Wheeler
01-08-2010, 17:47
I see those out west more often, and they are superlight. I prefer low-tops.

Blissful
01-08-2010, 17:58
The perfect hightop for me is my trail runners. :) Bad ankles requiring boots is a misnomer. The best way to help bad ankles is to strengthen them through proper exercises and stretching (I invested in a wobble board) and proper footwear for your feet (by a good foot clerk who knows what they are doing). I know - having had severe ankle sprains

But I see you already thru hiked in them anyway.

leaftye
01-08-2010, 18:22
Please, don't hesitate to "pimp" a product that worked well for you. I simply see it as a way of sharing hiker knowledge.

I like hightops too, if only because it means it's easier to keep junk out of my shoes.

10-K
01-10-2010, 16:39
The best hiking boots EVER (for me anyway...) - http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/shoes_and_insoles/inov-8/product1010.html

leaftye
01-10-2010, 16:46
Ah, Inov-8 Roclite 390's. Good boot I'm sure. My feet run hot, so I got the 370's. I have no miles on them yet though, but these boots look and feel like a great solution...they weigh nothing! I know, I know, I should put some miles on them, but I want to get some seam grip to help toughen up the boots and hopefully get another hundred or so miles out of them.

OutdoorsMan
01-10-2010, 21:11
Just wondering - and maybe this should be a separate thread but how many miles do you get out of a pair of boots (before having to resole them or other major maintenance)?

MisterSweetie
01-10-2010, 21:42
The best hiking boots EVER (for me anyway...) - http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/shoes_and_insoles/inov-8/product1010.html
How's the fit on these? True to size? I wear a 10 in a Salomon... any chance you can make a reasonable comparison? Nowhere near me has this brand, and I need new boots.

Thanks!

leaftye
01-10-2010, 23:02
Just wondering - and maybe this should be a separate thread but how many miles do you get out of a pair of boots (before having to resole them or other major maintenance)?

I'd love that, especially if we added a dollar to mileage ratio. Price would have to be average market price though. The cost of shoes was something I didn't expect. I already have at least 2 pairs of boots I can use on my thru-hike, but it still hurts to think about having to buy 2-3 more pairs. I can't think of the last time I've worn out a shoes since high school, not counting shoes that have fallen apart or otherwise broken. Even during my 8 years in the military I primarily used one set of boots.

Doooglas
01-11-2010, 00:01
Walking through malls and college campuses is much harder on boots than walking in the woodz.:cool:

Tinker
01-11-2010, 00:16
Walking through malls and college campuses is much harder on boots than walking in the woodz.:cool:
I don't know about that!:cool:
Being constantly wet has a way of ripping the uppers to shreds. At home I can dry my footwear every night.
I got somewhere around 700-1000 miles on my custom Limmer boots before I thought about having the Vibram soles replaced (all in the White and Green mountains). The uppers were beginning to show signs of cracking at the flex points and the hook eyelets were beginning to break, so I replaced them with lighter boots, then low tops, then runners. I look at them longingly sometimes and have fond memories, but in reality, lifting them with each step probably caused the weakness in my left knee (due to an unfortunate meeting between my bicycle and a car at age 19) to get worse. I have far less knee (and ankle, actually!) pain since using lighter footwear.

Donde
01-11-2010, 03:05
I will be the jackass NOBO in 2010 in Altima Jungle Boots way too heavy but I have been wearing them from the age of 17 and have put a lot of miles with a fair bit of weight on them. love them to death

leaftye
01-11-2010, 03:13
Donde, is it "Altima" or "Altama"? I guess if it works for you that's great, but my worst boots ever were my Altama desert boots. Horrible boots.

10-K
01-13-2010, 14:45
Ah, Inov-8 Roclite 390's. Good boot I'm sure. My feet run hot, so I got the 370's. I have no miles on them yet though, but these boots look and feel like a great solution...they weigh nothing! I know, I know, I should put some miles on them, but I want to get some seam grip to help toughen up the boots and hopefully get another hundred or so miles out of them.

I had a pair of 370's too.. I like the Goretex on the 390's though for keeping my socks and feet dry when I step in a puddle or miss a rock crossing a creek.

I can get 500 miles out of a pair before they start looking rough - by 600 miles they're done.

Big note: Hiking the great state of PA (~229 miles) killed a brand new pair.

10-K
01-13-2010, 14:46
How's the fit on these? True to size? I wear a 10 in a Salomon... any chance you can make a reasonable comparison? Nowhere near me has this brand, and I need new boots.

Thanks!

They're sized small - I wear a 12 and order a 12.5. Fit me perfectly. Zombierunner, the store I order mine from, has a blurb about sizing these boots on their webpage.