PDA

View Full Version : Got 37 maps today

coheterojo
01-08-2010, 20:08
Just received a box from the ATC chock full of all the maps from GA to ME.

I know you can hike the whole thing w/o maps but I don't care. I like maps. I may plaster them all over my wall, if I have a wall, when I finish the hike. Who's to say?

I'll probably have a Mapdanna wrapped around my head too. Just to annoy all those mapless wonders.:)

103 days to go,

El Flaco

mountain squid
01-08-2010, 20:37
If you have the time and one of the guidebooks (Companion (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=642&compid=1)/Handbook (http://trailplace.com/hb_2010edition.html)), you might consider transcribing the town info onto the maps. That way you wont have to carry the book also. I used a 'Sharpie' marker.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

SGT Rock
01-08-2010, 20:38
It's fun just opening them up and looking at them. Years later you can open them up and look at them - it will bring back memories of your hike.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2010, 20:47
Well after your thru you can sell the box here on WB!

Six-Six
01-08-2010, 20:50
Just received a box from the ATC chock full of all the maps from GA to ME.

I know you can hike the whole thing w/o maps but I don't care. I like maps. I may plaster them all over my wall, if I have a wall, when I finish the hike. Who's to say?

I'll probably have a Mapdanna wrapped around my head too. Just to annoy all those mapless wonders.:)

103 days to go,

El Flaco
They will be fun to look at before you go, useful to use while you go, and enjoyable to recall and refresh memories after you go.
Congratulations on your map score!

Lone Wolf
01-08-2010, 21:23
They will be fun to look at before you go, useful to use while you go, and enjoyable to recall and refresh memories after you go.
Congratulations on your map score!

yup. i have tons of maps of the AT. old and new

coheterojo
01-08-2010, 21:23
My wall is already covered with the maps from GA to Dennis Cove, TN that I've already completed,(minus that unfortunate, unfinished due to 2' + snow, section from Iron Mtn Gap to Dennis Cove this Xmas) as well as Joyce Kilmer/ Slickrock, Linville Gorge, Shining Rock Wilderness ad nauseam. The spaces in between usually are filled w a "best of" picture from each hike.

I've also hiked about 382 miles of the 850 or so miles of trails in the Smokies. I love planning the next hike, tracing the trails left to do.

You can see I'm a cheap decorator and probably live alone.:D

Anumber1
01-09-2010, 00:48
Mine are all sitting in the box they came in when I bought them last year. Sadly the ATC didnt send NH or Vermont (and i live in NH)... crooked *****ers

Connie
01-09-2010, 01:29
Keep a journal, coordinated to the map locations (not just towns).

I was told to do that when I went to UK, and Europe. It really helps the memories.

Schuetzen
01-09-2010, 09:14
Anumber1:

When I got my map set a few days ago one of the Virginia map sets was missing, I called ATC and the missing maps were in my mail box in 3 days. Every one makes mistakes but they were very fast in correcting the problem.

Jeff
01-09-2010, 11:11
Mine are all sitting in the box they came in when I bought them last year. Sadly the ATC didnt send NH or Vermont (and i live in NH)... crooked *****ers

VT/NH maps were out of print early last year. The updated maps are now available and of better quality!!! Call ATC about the missing maps.

Blissful
01-09-2010, 11:29
Maps are great! Enjoy them and the journey they represent.