PDA

View Full Version : Zero day on the JMT...

Megapixel
01-08-2010, 22:39
So where would you take a zero day if you could...and why... between the cutoff trail and then end at mount whitney???

Dogwood
01-08-2010, 23:28
The question really is, where wouldn't I want to take a "zero" on the JMT? So many great places, especially if you are fishing or just want some solitude(Yes, hiking less than 1/4 mile off the JMT tread and you can have plenty of solitude). However, if you like taking "zeros" around people or town Mammoth Lakes is, IMO, probably the finest town w/ everything a JMTer could want(it's probably easiest and most accessed through Reds Meadow and the bus system), Vermillion Valley Resort on Lake Edison, or Muir Trail Ranch.

Megapixel
01-09-2010, 00:38
The question really is, where wouldn't I want to take a "zero" on the JMT? So many great places, especially if you are fishing or just want some solitude(Yes, hiking less than 1/4 mile off the JMT tread and you can have plenty of solitude). However, if you like taking "zeros" around people or town Mammoth Lakes is, IMO, probably the finest town w/ everything a JMTer could want(it's probably easiest and most accessed through Reds Meadow and the bus system), Vermillion Valley Resort on Lake Edison, or Muir Trail Ranch.

Yeah I'm specifically thinking on trail, not town, but thanks for the heads up as it helps...i've been trying to decide on Reds Meadow or going on into Mammoth Lakes when we arrive there... wasn't sure if Reds had laundry facilities or not. Fishing sounds like a great on trail zero... what are the fishing requirements for an out of stater like myself?

Dogwood
01-09-2010, 02:45
VVR and MTR are in the Sierras just a short distance from the JMT. LOL They ARE NOT in or near any town. I would choose just one of them to zero in as I think they are relatively closely spaced, but up to you. The other great town I didn't mention, but I think takes longer to get to than Mammoth Lakes, is Bishop. As far as towns on that side of the Sierras those are probably the closest, easiest to get to, and best as far as providing the widest range of goods and services for someone doing a JMT thru. Either town might play into your resupply plans as well as either VVR or MTR. Gotta get your resupply from somewhere and it's not the AT with all its resupply opportunites nearly always close at hand! You could also do a zero at Tuolomne Meadows at the campground near the TM store on Tioga Pass Rd. You can also get some resupply at the grocery store and/or take something back to the trail from the smallish cafe there. Also has a PO under the same roof. Do realize TM is only 2 days out from Yosemite Valley though so I don't think most would want a zero that soon into their SOBO JMT thru. Something to consider is that from the TM campground it would be less than a 20 mile hitch(relatively easy from outside the store/cafe/PO, IMO) or bus ride over to see the GIANT redwoods in Mariposa Grove off Tioga Pass Rd.

Dogwood
01-09-2010, 03:02
Unless Reds Meadow store has recently changed I've always felt it hard to do a several day light wt(or any kind of wt) resupply from there. MAYBE, possible though. They do accept boxes. Not positive, but I don't think they have laundry services. They do have free piped hot water spring showers though nearby(awesome). You put the two together. What you could do is go there, check out the resupply situation for yourself, buy an ice cream in Aug, Contemplate! Take a shower and what else you decide. If you don't think it adequate catch the bus into Mammoth Lakes from the showers!

CA has out of state fishing licenses for varying lengths and prices. Obviously, you don't need a 1 yr out of state freshwater fishing license when you are only going to be there 30 days. Besides, IMO, it's expensive. Get a shorter term license!

Rambler
01-09-2010, 09:37
As Dogwood says, "So many great places..." and to plan time for a zero day is a luxury.
For me it would come around the mid-point, a time when your body would benefit the most from a day when it was not to be stressed by mileage.

For example, one day of my hike (N to S) began near the junction of the Bear Creek Trail and the JMT, south of Selden Pass and after VVR. I picked up a food drop from Muir Trail Ranch and camped at Puite Creek Junction which has plenty of sites right by the Creek. The next day was one of the most beautiful sections of trail. Through Evolution Valley over Muir Pass to Helen Lake. Even though I was lugging one of the heaviest loads of food, I just could not stop hiking. I reached Muir Pass around 7:30 as the August sun was setting and I passed into the shadows of the valley beyond. I thought I would be elated when reaching the Pass, but instead I was exhausted and I was glad to reach a spot to camp above Helen Lake. That evening I decided not to hike over any more Passes at the end of the day, but rather leave them for the morning when my muscles were strong.

So, I would recommend Evolution Valley as a place to spend a zero day.

1 It is a level area with a grassy meadow, great for napping.
2 It has a plentiful stream running through it. Easy water. Rocks to set up a nice spot for lunch. The soothing noise of rushing water.
3 Plenty of big trees for shade.
4 Scenery is at the Wow level.
5 There is a Ranger's cabin there, so you can find interesting company if you want it for awhile. (McClure Meadow Ranger Station) This station is 110 miles from the N, and 100.5 miles from the S.
6 You can find a nice place to camp away from the trail in solitude if you want that.
7 If you are a journal writer, write.
8 The next morning you will be fresh for your hike up to Evolution Lake and the beautiful lakes that follow as you continue the gradual climb to Muir Pass.
9 It is not unreasonable to have a long mileage that next day, since the terrain is mostly down and then through the meadows after you reach Muir Pass.
10 The more I write about it, the more I wish I could have spent a zero day in Evolution Valley!

PS Spend some time taking pictures of something small around you, a section of stream, a flower, a tree, a person. Most of my pictures are of the expansive views that constantly appear along the trail, but my favorites are of the smaller scenes and close-ups. Take a picture of the same favorite image at different times during the day and evening. etc. If you fish....watch it, you might spend all day fishing!

Phreak
01-09-2010, 09:51
Not positive, but I don't think they have laundry services. They do have free piped hot water spring showers though nearby(awesome).
Reds Meadow does have laundry facilities. They are located behind the restaurant as you are making your way over to the hot spring showers. Can't remember how much it cost but it was less than $2 to wash and dry a load.

A-Train
01-09-2010, 12:06
So where would you take a zero day if you could...and why... between the cutoff trail and then end at mount whitney???

Bighorn Plateau
Bullfrog Lake/Kearsarge area
Vidette Meadow
Lake Virginia
Evolution Valley
Lakes just north of Muir Hut

As mentioned, there aren't too many places I wouldn't wanna zero in that area. It's one spectacular spot after another. Although the lower areas will be thriving with mosquitoes early in the season.

Phreak
01-09-2010, 13:45
Bighorn Plateau
Vidette Meadow
Rae Lakes
Evolution Valley
Reds Meadow
Thousand Island Lake

As others mention, the possibilities are endless. Very few spots along the trail I wouldn't want to spend a zero day.

grizzlyadam
01-09-2010, 13:52
Bighorn Plateau
Bullfrog Lake/Kearsarge area
Vidette Meadow
Lake Virginia
Evolution Valley
Lakes just north of Muir Hut

As mentioned, there aren't too many places I wouldn't wanna zero in that area. It's one spectacular spot after another. Although the lower areas will be thriving with mosquitoes early in the season.

Lake Virginia is my favorite lake on the JMT. It is beautiful there.

Of course, it is beautiful everywhere on the JMT, but I am particularly fond of Lake Virginia.

Rambler
01-09-2010, 14:03
I hiked in mid August when bugs are not an issue. Lake side are hard places to resist for zero days, but choose those near cover for both shade and wind shelter.

Reds Meadow store is right next to the trail, so convenient for mail drops. Nice restaurant and hot water in the tap in restroom.

I bathed in Virginia Lake and Marie Lake and found the water pleasant, not too cold. Rinsed laundry dries very fast.

Personally, I would not take a zero day close to Whitney, because when I am that near the end of a hike, I am itching to keep going. But, an extra day planned into your trip will allow you to wait for a good weather day for Whitney. I would recommend to get to Guitar Lake if possible. It will leave you with a shorter hike to Whitney next morning. An early start got me to the top of Whitney in clear weather, an hour after I left the summit it was in the clouds.
Try to avoid spending a night at Base Camp. But, if you have to just be aware that you will have plenty of company, so plan for a social time and enjoy! (It is a barren place and not many good spots for your tent if you arrive late...that is my impression as I passed through on my way down.) I passed empty camping spots well below, closer to the Portal. The hike from Whitney to the Portal is a long one. I was glad not to be going up!

Dogwood
01-09-2010, 14:34
The hike down from Mt Whitney via Whitney Portal is, IMO, a final exhilarating scenic exclamation pt to a thru-hike already filled w/ outstanding scenery and exclamation pts. You hike down, precipitiously at times on narrow trail, through a steeply walled glacial cut with a distant view of the flat valley west of the Sierras. It always takes longer than I expect. The beauty of this stretch is sometimes overlooked because of the excitement and view atop Mt. Whitney and getting up there.

OHBob
01-09-2010, 14:42
Agree with all that's been said about places to spend a zeor day. Several times this past summer I came upon sites where I simply did not want to go further that day, not because I was tired but I wanted to just enjoy the place a bit longer, so I'd set up camp early, relax, read a bit and just drink in the beauty of that trail. I wouldn't limit my stops to just zero days, but plan for many days when you don't hike a long way, but you spend a lot of time relishing the views.

Sly
01-09-2010, 20:22
You hike down, precipitiously at times on narrow trail, through a steeply walled glacial cut with a distant view of the flat valley west of the Sierras.

That would be east, wouldn't it? ;)

Sly
01-09-2010, 20:28
I would recommend to get to Guitar Lake if possible. It will leave you with a shorter hike to Whitney next morning.

To leave an even shorter hike, I camped at the tarns (small lakes) a mile or so above Guitar Lake. Had a great view of GL and the sunset.

Dogwood
01-09-2010, 21:03
Um, Sly, glad someone is checking me. East and looking across the Owens valley it is!

Sly, did you go SOBO or NOBO or some of both on the CDT? My brain is rattled reading and then reversing trail descriptions in the CDT Guidebooks written from a SOBO perspective when I'm planning a NOBO hike!

Rambler
01-10-2010, 00:39
Dogwood, the JMT Guide written by Elizabeth Wenk and Kathy Morley covers both N to S and N to S. (Wilderness Press 4th edition 2007)

http://www.amazon.com/John-Muir-Trail-Essential-Americas/dp/0899974368

A-Train
01-10-2010, 12:01
I forgot to mention Guitar Lake, a pretty phenomenal spot to camp, and set you up for Whitney. The only downer was that our stuff was soaked in the morning with dew and it was quite cold up there.