PDA

View Full Version : Beginner looking for some advice

Rabbott
01-08-2010, 22:42
Hi!
I am new to the whole backpacking scene. I've done some pretty advanced day hikes with my family but I don't have the technical experience for backpacking. I want to go on a trip this summer, and I am thinking about doing one of the trips offered by the AMC. The only problem is that I'm too old for about half the trips (I'm 16.) I have a few questions (and I welcome the answers of anybody who has done an AMC trip or who just has advice!)

1. Should I go on a longer trip, to let my body adjust to the stress backpacking? Or is it better to try a short trip first, and see how I like it?

2. Should I try a trip specifically for beginners?

3. Should I a "multi element" trip; ie one with canoeing or kayaking or rock climbing in addition to backpacking?

Thank you very much!!
-Rabbott

Many Walks
01-08-2010, 23:29
Welcome to WB Rabbott! :welcome It might be wise to go on a shorter organized trip like the ones the AMC offers that you would still be qualified for or by another supervised group with experienced leaders. This would give you some experience to build on to make adjustments for your next outing. You might talk with them about the options to see if a beginners trip is right for you or if a more intermediate trip is more to your liking due to your day hiking experience. At this point I would advise just doing a hiking trip as opposed to a multi element trip which involves more equipment and skills. The bottom line is to do what you think is right for you based on your interest and skill level. Most of all, Enjoy!

sbhikes
01-08-2010, 23:32
I got started backpacking with my church youth group. I'm not trying to preach, but if you have a youth group, you might see if there's someone who would be willing to lead a trip.

Snowleopard
01-09-2010, 10:05
Depending on where you are in Mass, the Boston and (maybe) the Worcester chapters of AMC offer backpacking courses; usually several evening classes then a weekend trip. If that doesn't work for you, look up the contact people at your local AMC chapter and ask for advice. Most chapters have backpacking trips and you could probably find someone who would share a tent, stove, etc., so you can see if you like it without buying lots of stuff. Have someone check over what you carry in advance.

Don't carry too much stuff/weight and you'll enjoy it more. Try out tarps/tents/hammocks in your backyard.

Low Impact
01-09-2010, 11:26
Hey Man,

I too am from Massachusetts.

In 07, I hiked the Long Trail.
In 08, I hiked the AT.
In 09, I hiked the Colorado Trail.

I can probably answer any questions you may have. I'm just too lazy to write out responses here. Haha. :D

Private message me, I'll throw you my number and we can chat.

Happy Trails.

Blissful
01-09-2010, 11:31
My son did a few weekend trips with us. Then he went and hiked the whole trail at age 16.

Do whatever experiences you can get and enjoy it.

Cosmo
01-09-2010, 20:58
Hey Rabbot, how about a week on the AMC Teen Trail Crew? You'll get a send of what it's like to spend some nights in the woods, learn a some useful skills, and have a pretty good time.

Cosmo

mere533
01-10-2010, 03:04
I've heard the AMC trips are great. There are also some fantastic ymca trips (both backpacking and multielement). I'd try an easy trip. Backpacking is not for everyone! my first trip was a 61 day trip at 13 and was very trying. In case u need more info/ a hiking partner im now 16 and in somewhere, ct so feel free to pm me

babbage
01-10-2010, 09:33
You are 16 - if you are in good condition there should be no stress issues. Be adventurous - stay away from organized groups - there will be too many rules and you might get one of those egomaniacs as a trip leader. Go at it on your own and figure it out - that will make you all the better in tmes to come. I backpacked, then, when I could drive, I started climbing. Then after a while I started boating (kayak for a few years, then OC1 for a few years). My body has no desire to climb anymore, and the drought/gas prices ended my ability to boat every week -- so I went back to the old stand-by -- backpacking. I have wonderful memories. Everytime I pass a rapid I can't help but scout it. And when I pass a rock wall I have to stop and look for the line, and the gear possibilities.
You are young. I would suggest read some journals and think about the life philosophy of the ones that you admire. Plan your entire journey, one step at a time. Choices you make now will affect your future - choices you make later in life will affect that future. Get an education and a good job that will allow you time for your life. Stay away from the credit trap. Pay as you go. Avoid consumerism. Choose your firends wisely. Do not use alcohol or tobacco. Don't waste money on the lottery. DO NOT JOIN THE MILITARY. Know that our government views you as disposable meat - fear the US Government.
Go out and have a good time.
Oh, and for gods sake - please go old school in whatever you do- it is so much more respectable (not to mention manly).

bfree
01-10-2010, 09:40
If Low Impact offers to meet you somewhere or buy you a bus ticket...

Bags4266
01-10-2010, 12:32
Hey Man,

I too am from Massachusetts.

In 07, I hiked the Long Trail.
In 08, I hiked the AT.
In 09, I hiked the Colorado Trail.

I can probably answer any questions you may have. I'm just too lazy to write out responses here. Haha. :D

Private message me, I'll throw you my number and we can chat.

Happy Trails.

Wow. Are you a Professional Hiker? How do you do it without working?

JAK
01-10-2010, 12:50
Make day trips and weekenders part of your active lifestyle.
Also make running, cycling, paddling, part of your lifestyle.
Use short trips to develop the skills, fitness, knowledge, and experience.
Use longer trips to extend your horizons.

Rabbott
01-10-2010, 14:55
Thanks everybody! that helps.
Mere, I'll definitely look into the YMCA trips-- I hadn't thought of that.
Cosmo, I'm not so sure about the trail maintenance-- I looked into it but I'm worried it will be too advanced/difficult work. What do you think?

Tinker
01-10-2010, 15:08
You are 16 - if you are in good condition there should be no stress issues. Be adventurous - stay away from organized groups - there will be too many rules and you might get one of those egomaniacs as a trip leader. Go at it on your own and figure it out - that will make you all the better in tmes to come. I backpacked, then, when I could drive, I started climbing. Then after a while I started boating (kayak for a few years, then OC1 for a few years). My body has no desire to climb anymore, and the drought/gas prices ended my ability to boat every week -- so I went back to the old stand-by -- backpacking. I have wonderful memories. Everytime I pass a rapid I can't help but scout it. And when I pass a rock wall I have to stop and look for the line, and the gear possibilities.
You are young. I would suggest read some journals and think about the life philosophy of the ones that you admire. Plan your entire journey, one step at a time. Choices you make now will affect your future - choices you make later in life will affect that future. Get an education and a good job that will allow you time for your life. Stay away from the credit trap. Pay as you go. Avoid consumerism. Choose your firends wisely. Do not use alcohol or tobacco. Don't waste money on the lottery. DO NOT JOIN THE MILITARY. Know that our government views you as disposable meat - fear the US Government.
Go out and have a good time.
Oh, and for gods sake - please go old school in whatever you do- it is so much more respectable (not to mention manly).

Well said, nonconformist.
Rock on!
One exception: Ultralight technology is not your enemy (but you don't have to spend yourself into oblivion to obtain it).
Suggestion: Find an older relative (uncle, older cousin, etc.) who's not afraid to try hiking. Get back to us here. I'll volunteer to go for a little hike with the two (or more) of you in your neck of the woods. Camping while hiking isn't much different than car camping except you have to embrace terms like multi use, lighweight, and compact, and for your own sake go buy some nylon pants (and unlined jacket), synthetic or wool long johns, good wool socks, and a light but warm compactable jacket. That should form the foundation of your clothing. You can sleep under a plastic tarp in a heavy synthetic bag and use outdated cookware, etc. and still survive in milder temperatures.
Most of all - wear comfortable shoes.
Don't take for gospel suggestions on gear from folks who just bought them (or have never used anything else [Especially expensive stuff])! This goes double for footwear.
Have fun.:)

achangeincourse
01-10-2010, 18:22
whats up man, It's nice too know i'm not the kid getting into backpacking (i'm 16 too). Anyway i might be hiking the long trail this summer with some friends and i'm whicked stoked. If you really get into back packing your welcome to join. Just shoot me a pm. Happy and hiking. for #1. I personally I find the longer the better but its all personal perfference. Peace