PDA

View Full Version : New Squall, Questions

C-Stepper
09-11-2004, 10:52
Hoped maybe someone here could help me out (newbie alert)

I just bought a new Tarptent Squall with the sewin floor and extended beak. Three questions:

Directions specify that the pole which goes at the foot should go through a "sleeve". I don't seem to have a sleeve for the pole to go thru...the tarp just sits on top of the pole (and not very straight, either,, no matter what I do with the tie-downs in the rear). If there ever was a sleeve in a previous version, it is completely sewed shut. Am I missing something? Those with this setup, any way to straighten it out so the seam rided on the pole a little better?

How do you pack it? Do you just stuff it like you do your sleeping bag, at the bottom of the pack; do you really roll it up nice and pretty (like it came) and put it into the tent bag; or, do you do something else? Just wondering what others do.

How do you pound the stakes in? I won't be going to the mountains on this trip, so I can't count on a big rock.

(Thanks in advance for help...I'm going on my first overnighter next month, and I don't have a mentor other than you guys!)

foodbag
09-11-2004, 11:52
Look carefully for the sleeve. There is one there. On my Virga it is just barely larger than the diameter of the pole.

Simrose
09-11-2004, 12:09
I also just got a TarpTent Squall (sewn-in floor, extended beak) earlier this year. I set it up a couple days ago to seam-seal and I had a heck of a time finding that sleeve too ... but I knew it had to be there because it was there the previous times I set up the tent. It is there, promise!

As for your other questions ... I too would like to hear from those who have used this tent on bigger trips. Sorry I can't help with those.

food
09-11-2004, 12:28
I do not have the sewn in floor - for what it is worth. I stuff the tent into the mesh side pocket of my Six Moon Designs Starlite pack. The ground cloth is folded dirty side to dirty side then rolled and slipped into the same pocket.

I push the stakes in with my foot.

I have taut-ties on all the guylines because the silnylong stretches a little and generally needs to be tightened up before bed.

poison_ivy
09-13-2004, 08:41
Keep looking for that sleeve... it's there but tough to spot. On my last trip I had to set my Squall up in the dark and I had a heck of a time finding it... and I knew it was there!

I just stuff my tent into the sack. I've tried rolling it but it's hard to get slippery sil-nylon into slippery sil-nylon. Plus, I read somewhere recently that stuffing the tent keeps creases from forming in the same place and helps the fabric last longer. I don't know whether that's really true or not... but stuffing seems easier.

I've never had any problems getting the stakes in the ground. But if you're going someplace where you think you'll have to pound them into the ground, I'd bring sturdier ones that won't bend so easily. I've had good luck on tent platforms tying the strings for the stakeloops off to rocks (or eyehooks) too.

Hope that helps,

Ivy

C-Stepper
09-15-2004, 19:03
I found it, thanks folks. Took me several tries, and fresh eyes each time...I was looking on the wrong side of the tent and thought it was sewn shut (maybe?) but it is on the opposite side.

Simrose
09-15-2004, 20:07
Yea! I'm glad you found it ... I just hope I can find it again next time!

slatchley
09-18-2004, 09:13
I tried stuffing my Squall into its original bag with no success. I even emailed Henry to ask how the heck to do it. He gave me directions, but, as Poison Ivy points out, silnylon is really really slippery. I ended up using a larger silnylon stuff sack, so that instead of a round tube it is a flat bag, and stuffing it in the back mesk pocket of my GoLite Breeze. It still leaves room there for other goodies to be packed around it, and the stuff sack keeps it clean and dry.