PDA

View Full Version : N.C. day hikes

Storm
01-09-2010, 01:58
Just returned home from Saphire Valley, N.C.

Along with "Footsore" we managed to get in three short day hikes. Two were on the Panthertown valley trail. A very easy five mile loop that didn't work out to be a loop because of high water in the one stream we needed to cross. Had a very nice hike to "School House" falls none the less.

Our other hike was southbound from Fontana Dam. Do to time constraints we only hiked about three miles out and then returned. The climb out of the valley at least gave us some insight into what it takes to hike uphill with a pack. This was the first hike on the AT for either of us and we totally enjoyed it. Making plans for a longer hike sometime next summer but probably won't get back to the AT for that trip. Bye the way, the road across the dam is closed but it is still open to foot traffic.

Also took a drive up to Hot Springs and stopped in at Bluff Mountain. Very nice folks there. Met a thru hiker called "Sunrise" when I stopped for coffee. Seems she liked Hot Springs when she did her hike and moved there.

Would have liked to do a day hike at Newfound Gap but the road was closed due to ice and snow.

At least we learned a little on the trip. I found out that even though I'm in pretty good shape for my age I'm nowhere close to being in shape for a thru hike. Have two years to take care of that. Learned that trekking poles are a good thing, alcohol stoves are neat, maps are a good idea, downhill is not as easy as it sounds, folks at the "Hike Inn" are very nice, and I want to do it some more.

Tennessee Viking
01-09-2010, 17:04
Come and try out the MST next time

Ox97GaMe
01-09-2010, 20:04
There isnt really any way to get into 'Thru Hiker' shape other than hiking for hundreds of miles up and down hills with a full pack. Dont be too concerned with being in 'top' shape when you start. Just be in good enough shape to not be a health risk for you when you start, or plan to do shorter days until you get your trail legs under you. 90% of the people out there are most likely going to be 'greener' than you already are, whether they are in shape or not. That gives you an advantage right there.

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 13:45
There isnt really any way to get into 'Thru Hiker' shape other than hiking for hundreds of miles up and down hills with a full pack. Dont be too concerned with being in 'top' shape when you start. Just be in good enough shape to not be a health risk for you when you start, or plan to do shorter days until you get your trail legs under you. 90% of the people out there are most likely going to be 'greener' than you already are, whether they are in shape or not. That gives you an advantage right there.

When i left in 08, I went with some friends and thruhiked the GSMNP and did the boulevard trail. We got to Standing Bear and I was ready for Springer. Hit the road from there and got to Springer and was off. It was really nice to have those few days under my belt. Dont worry about being in trail shape when you leave, it will come. Work on your cardio. I joined the YMCA a few months before and the workout and conditioning before definitely made the beginning of the hike much more enjoyable for me.