PDA

View Full Version : Demographic profile

oruoja
09-11-2004, 14:28
I would like to create a poll, but can't seem to be able to figure out on how to set it up. Maybe someone can help. After almost a year of following the posts on Whiteblaze I am always interested to discover more on the backgrounds of the AT community at large. With all the fervor of politics and the opinions it generates I don't desire to create more of it, but I would be curious as to the military service background of the membership in general. I don't think specifics on branch or location of service is necessary in order to prevent interservice rivalry banter or criticism of the merits of for example active duty versus reserve service. I do think that many would find it interesting to see actually how many folks have military experience and exposure and if a sizable amount of the membership participates we could get an interesting profile. This suggestion is posted just for interest and is not being used for any research purposes. For the record, I have a sixteen year service service record spanning reserve, active, and guard time, but my intention is in no way to create a forum to contrast those for have served versus those that have not. Anyway, I would like to see the folowing breakdowns: career military retired / current active-duty / current reserve-national guard / prior active-duty / prior reserve-guard. If someone thinks another category would be of interest that would be great.

Lion King
09-11-2004, 14:51
Out of the many miles here and there I have hiked on the AT in the last few years, I can tell you, there are a ton of retired military...from your fine batch of top quality Marines to every branch out there...to British Secret Service, etc....every year I run into A great number of hikers with military background.

Although myself, I am not one, I find that a lot of the strong minded military folks seek a continued challange...then some become addicted.

Some of the best people I have met out here(Lone Wolf for one) are ex-military.

LK
walkingwithfreedom.com

Dances with Mice
09-11-2004, 14:54
I would like to create a poll, ... the folowing breakdowns: career military retired / current active-duty / current reserve-national guard / prior active-duty / prior reserve-guard. If someone thinks another category would be of interest that would be great.

Prior active-duty. 6 years total, 3+ in a combat arms MOS, 2+ in Criminal Investigation. My son may soon be in the Services too, that could be another category of interest. My wife served 6+ years, for yet another potential category.

I've sworn off political discussions, though, unless they involve the intriguing, behind the scenes political wheeling and dealing of Sports Juggling. National politics is bush league by comparison, with an intentionally small case 'b'.

Nightwalker
09-11-2004, 15:27
I would be curious as to the military service background of the membership in general.
I was in the "safe" branch of the military(see another, quite vitrolic, thread).

You don't march very much on a ship, but you do learn how to do what you have to when you've worked way too many hours on not nearly enough sleep.

:)

Dances with Mice
09-11-2004, 20:06
I was in the "safe" branch of the military(see another, quite vitrolic, thread)....

Which date on the Vietnam Memorial Wall has the most names?

July 29, 1967.

Know why?

Safe. Yeah, right. We know.

oruoja
09-11-2004, 21:56
Even though I originally did not intend to get into specific branches of the service, I have to say that throughout our military history the US Navy has definately given up many fine sailors in conflicts. After recently reading about reunions I could not help but think back to the loss of crew from the USS Liberty after being attacked by "our friends". I never served in the navy, but being a history buff I hold sailors both former and present in high regard for the types of missions they must accomplish.

Furlough
09-11-2004, 22:15
My dad, an avid backpacker is retired Active Duty Navy (23 years). I am active duty Army, 19 years and counting.

SGT Rock
09-11-2004, 23:25
I would like to create a poll, but can't seem to be able to figure out on how to set it up. Maybe someone can help. After almost a year of following the posts on Whiteblaze I am always interested to discover more on the backgrounds of the AT community at large. With all the fervor of politics and the opinions it generates I don't desire to create more of it, but I would be curious as to the military service background of the membership in general. I don't think specifics on branch or location of service is necessary in order to prevent interservice rivalry banter or criticism of the merits of for example active duty versus reserve service. I do think that many would find it interesting to see actually how many folks have military experience and exposure and if a sizable amount of the membership participates we could get an interesting profile. This suggestion is posted just for interest and is not being used for any research purposes. For the record, I have a sixteen year service service record spanning reserve, active, and guard time, but my intention is in no way to create a forum to contrast those for have served versus those that have not. Anyway, I would like to see the folowing breakdowns: career military retired / current active-duty / current reserve-national guard / prior active-duty / prior reserve-guard. If someone thinks another category would be of interest that would be great.

When you create a thread, there is a check box near the bottom of the page that says something like: "Yes, Create A Poll", check that, and it will lead you into the poll menus.