PDA

View Full Version : cincinnati, ohio

gregugadawg
01-09-2010, 11:11
What is the easiest accessible part of the trail to Cincinnati, Ohio?

Also any other nice outdoor hikes or areas in the Ohio area?

Kerosene
01-09-2010, 12:09
From Cincy, your easiest trip is probably to take I-75 straight south to Knoxville, TN, then I-40 over to the northern part of the Smokeys; about a 5-hour drive.

Check out Hocking Hills (http://www.hockinghills.com/m_trails.htm) in southeast Ohio for some of the best hiking in the state.

Tabasco
01-09-2010, 12:13
Agree with Kerosene. I live in Lexington, and it is exactly 4 hours to Hot Springs and 4 hours to Fontana, so either one would work for you too.

gravy4601
01-09-2010, 12:37
I agree with those guys and also would like to include going past RRG to Damascus WV isnt to bad a drive

Close hikes to Cincy.
1. RRG Sheltowee Trace Trail plus many other trails and loops going all the way south to Tenn.
2. Shawnee trail i want to say 60 mile loop it's been a while ago but it was a realy good hike kinda like the little Smokies and is only a 2-3 hour drive to Sciota county
3. Eastfork state park 30 mi loop with back woods shelters like on the AT a good trail for a weekend hike fairly flat but kinda muddy most of the year bring good waterproof boots

Lilred
01-09-2010, 12:40
Ohio has the North Country Trail if you want a long distance trail close to home. Goes straight up into Michigan, across the UP and on into Wisconson. This one is definately on my To Do list.

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=noco&parkname=North%20Country%20National%20Scenic%20Tra il

Doctari
01-09-2010, 13:44
Closest hiking to Cinti:
Easfork lake near Amelia. 12 mile "backpackers trail" & 40 something mile Perimeter trail.
Caesar creek at about mile 43 north on I 71, to rte 72, go left. Multi use "Mt Bike trail". I think you can't camp on the mt bike trail. Also a Backpackers trail, but I have not used it yet. Ask at ranger station.
The ADT as well as the Buckeye trail go through town (& Easfork, on the BP trail).
I really like Shawnee, over by Portsmouth. Be sure to get the hiking map AND the horse riders map. Trust me on this!! The views are not as spectacular as at RRG, but it is nice hiking.
Hocking is also nice, about the same distance. I have only done day hiking there.

Not far, at about 2 - 3 hr drive is Red River Gorge in KY; over 35 miles of hiking trails with Killer Views.

bigben
01-09-2010, 15:10
If I was in a race to get from Cincy to the AT, I would head straight to Newfound Gap in the Smokies. And I'd win. 5 hour drive.

Red River Gorge is the best, closest hiking/backpacking. 2 hour drive.

Lots of good dayhiking. Anywhere in terms of other decent Ohio backpacking spots, such as Zaleski, Wayne National Forest, Shawnee, even Hocking Hills all are 2-3 hours from Cincy and you can be in RRG faster, so that's why I go there. Big South Fork is also awesome, but if I'm going to drive 4 hours, I might as well drive 5 and go to the Smokies.

Cookerhiker
01-09-2010, 17:17
From Cincy, your easiest trip is probably to take I-75 straight south to Knoxville, TN, then I-40 over to the northern part of the Smokeys; about a 5-hour drive........

Yep - this is the advice I gave in another thread.

Agree with Kerosene. I live in Lexington, and it is exactly 4 hours to Hot Springs and 4 hours to Fontana, so either one would work for you too.

Is Fontana closer drive-time-wise than Davenmport?

If I was in a race to get from Cincy to the AT, I would head straight to Newfound Gap in the Smokies. And I'd win. 5 hour drive.......

Yeah but don't you have to go through Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg?

Lostone
01-09-2010, 18:29
Cinici Backpacking

The Twin Valley backpacking trail in German Town.

Wildcat hollow

Buckeye trail....too much road hiking for me.

Archers Fork

Lake Vesuvius

I would stay away from the hocking hills it is the Disney of Ohio's state parks. Home of people outdoors behaving badly. Lots of natural selection happens here. if you like hiking in a single file line with a bunch of people who have no business in the woods.

bigben
01-09-2010, 19:16
Yeah but don't you have to go through Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg?

Yes, but it's still faster, unless you go in October, or during that Hot Rod show, or a Friday evening.

gravy4601
01-11-2010, 00:43
still only 5hrs to Damascus

flemdawg1
01-11-2010, 14:02
Almost exactly 5hours to Standing Bear Hostel.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Cincinnati,+OH&daddr=4255+Green+Corner+Rd.&hl=en&geocode=FepZVQIdpPv2-in5ITjesVFAiDEXk8Dki377aQ%3BFWoNIgIdo_oL-ykNtK_RlNlbiDGBp-_wTWGUSQ&mra=ls&sll=35.918528,-82.999649&sspn=0.405381,0.615921&ie=UTF8&ll=36.765292,-84.418945&spn=1.603951,2.463684&z=9

Pony
01-12-2010, 18:02
I like Zaleski, Shawnee, and Wildcat Hollow. Hocking Hills are sweet, but there are a lot of people and I believe you can only camp in campgrounds. On the other hand, I wore these trails out this summer and can't wait to get back to the AT.

Lugnut
01-12-2010, 18:12
I like Zaleski, Shawnee, and Wildcat Hollow. Hocking Hills are sweet, but there are a lot of people and I believe you can only camp in campgrounds. On the other hand, I wore these trails out this summer and can't wait to get back to the AT.

At Wildcat Hollow you can camp anyplace you want.

schnikel
01-13-2010, 10:32
At Wildcat Hollow you can camp anyplace you want.

True.
You just have to clean up all the trash to make room for your tent first.

Pony
01-13-2010, 14:40
I've packed a good deal of trash out of there, but haven't figured out how to get that refrigerator and old TV sets though. Most of the sites away from the trail head aren't that bad. I like the camping situation there but, I'm a little leary about the water. I had some stomach issue this summer that I think were a result of drinking the water there, and yes I treated it. Next time I go, I'll cache some water.