PDA

View Full Version : Weeklong backpack in N Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upper Penisula?

puddingboy
01-09-2010, 14:52
Im trying to decide where to go for a weeklong hike next summer, thinking about a section of the superior hiking trail. Also i heard that Isle Royale is cool or maybe pictured rocks.
Need some advice on where to hike in the north country.

grayfox
01-09-2010, 15:27
You might also consider the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Here is a link http://www.exploringthenorth.com/porkiesum/intro.html . It is a nice mix of beaches, forest trails, steep trails. A bit cheaper than Isle Royal because you drive there. A bit closer than Pictured Rocks for most-though that is a nice park as well just more flat and not as easy to do a loop back to your car. These parks have bears and Isle Royal doesn't. But Isle Royal has moose and wolves and sneaker stealing foxes.

puddingboy
01-09-2010, 17:01
some of those porkie pictures are pretty cool, im gonna have to think about that one too. Grayfox did you get your trail name from those sneaker stealing foxes?

mkmangold
01-09-2010, 17:06
some of those porkie pictures are pretty cool, im gonna have to think about that one too. Grayfox did you get your trail name from those sneaker stealing foxes?

He meant that he steals socks!

I'd like to get up that way sometime, too. Keep us all posted as your plans progress.

jrwiesz
01-10-2010, 02:20
Im trying to decide where to go for a weeklong hike next summer, thinking about a section of the superior hiking trail. Also i heard that Isle Royale is cool or maybe pictured rocks.
Need some advice on where to hike in the north country.

The later in the summer, the better, IMHO. Less bugs, great temps, moderate crowds. I spent 20 days on Isle Royale this summer. Been to the "Porkies" on three separate occasions; again, the best times in late August, early September for both these areas, and I would say for Pictured Rocks also. The Porkies and Pictured Rocks have portions of the NCST traverse through them.

My son spent a year playing baseball for the Mt. Mercy Mustangs. Cedar Rapids is a great area. I got to spend some time, on two occasions, at the State Recreation area near Center Point; some slight flooding of the Cedar River at that time, but not as bad as your recent floods. I did some hiking on the ADT in Cedar Rapids and near Waterloo.

Photos of Center Point Depot and of Isle Royale National Park in my gallery.

If you decide on Isle Royale, let me know. I'm planning to go again this year in late August, early September. If you decide the Porkies, definately spend some time exploring the Presque Isle River area in the western portion of the park, Lake of the Clouds and the Escarpment trail area is another must see. PM me if you want, I'll try and answer your questions as best I can on either of these parks. A week is good, three weeks is better in these areas of the north country.:sun

Pringles
01-10-2010, 20:01
At Pictured Rocks you don't need to do a loop back to your car, there is a shuttle available for about $15. If you have any questions about Pictured Rocks, PM me. I live a couple of hours away and go there many times each year.

Beth

puddingboy
01-11-2010, 22:57
i was planning on going in june as soon as my school gets out, are the bugs really that bad? Also does isle royale have good paddling, some of my uncles are big kayakers but don't like hiking as much. We might go up there early hike for a couple days and them meet them and go kayaking.

jrwiesz
01-12-2010, 02:23
i was planning on going in june as soon as my school gets out, are the bugs really that bad? Also does isle royale have good paddling, some of my uncles are big kayakers but don't like hiking as much. We might go up there early hike for a couple days and them meet them and go kayaking.

There is always a possiblity for the black flies/bugs, but that is part of the outdoors. It's just that in August/September, the majority of bugs, for the most part, have lessened in intensity. The early fall is also great as the berries are beginning to rippen. But, I am sure June is also a great time to be there.

It is a great place for paddling, no great whitewater river type paddles, but plenty of big deep water; Lake Superior can be wicked, especially the north shore of the island, due to the steepness of the rock formations and the inability to land/beach your craft if a sudden squall pops up. Plenty of opportunities to paddle to inland lakes, many relatively short portages, several "paddlers only" accessible camps, along with plenty of "hike to", while others "paddle to" camps. Arrangements can be made to be dropped off with your gear and paddle back to your starting point. 6 of us with 3 canoes did this in 2005, spent 5 days in the outback making our way back to our starting point after being dropped-off in the middle portion of the island.

At Lake Ritchie it was not "fishing", it was "catching" pike. Know that most of the best fishing/catching was with watercraft. I took fishing pole/gear last year hiking, but, if I were to go just hiking again, I would skip the extra weight of that gear, due to the fact that most of the lakes have such steep drop-off from the shoreline that one really needs watercraft to access the fish in the deeper waters.

For further research, google NPS or Isle Royale National Park; there is plenty of info there to keep one busy and help with the planning.

Isle Royale Rocks!!!:sun

V.I.P.
03-02-2010, 18:40
I love all the places being mentioned in this thread. My last trip in springtime to the U.P. was waterfall "hunting" on the NCT between Black River and Sturgeon River wilderness.

You must experience Isle Royale!! My time there in September was amazing and launched me into hiking and kayaking. The waters are so clear and deep-- paddled calm Tobin Harbor and then went up to Lookout Louise. Scoville Point scrambling around the exposed bedrock was pure joy.

WalkingStick75
03-02-2010, 20:48
Porcupine Mountains or Isle Royal, both great hikes. Isle Royal if you go later in the year you will avoid the crowds. It is a little more expensive but if you fly out you only start hiking with a couple others where if you take the boat you hike.... well with a boat load.

Bonjour
03-02-2010, 23:47
I've walked about half of the Superior Trail and really enjoyed it. I was always surprised at how few people I saw once I got away from the more popular areas. Generally the trail is inland from the lake so don't expect a lot of views. There are lots of streams and rivers and the woods are great. Sometimes late in the summer streams dry up and water sources have to be planned out a little. There is also a shuttle that runs on the weekends. Whatever you do have a great trip - lots of choices.

Erin
03-11-2010, 21:30
I just posted on an old Superior Trail link a minute ago and just saw this thread. We are going September, 34 mile section between Temperence River State park and Cascade Sate park. We got shuttle suggestions from an older post and are working on that. We have never hiked northern MN before and would welcome any suggestions on gear ie: rainy? Mosquito netting during day? Boots v. trail shoes, etc. We are experienced but not on this trail or in this climate. Thanks!

Medic!
03-19-2010, 16:34
I just posted on an old Superior Trail link a minute ago and just saw this thread. We are going September, 34 mile section between Temperence River State park and Cascade Sate park. We got shuttle suggestions from an older post and are working on that. We have never hiked northern MN before and would welcome any suggestions on gear ie: rainy? Mosquito netting during day? Boots v. trail shoes, etc. We are experienced but not on this trail or in this climate. Thanks!

Always plan for some rain, especially at that time of year. The mosquitoes shouldn't be bad in September, so I'd skip the netting. As for boots or shoes, whatever you normally hike comfortably in. You aren't doing any boulder scrabbling or the like, and as far as temperatures, plan for anything between 40-70 days and 30-60s nights. Can vary wildly, check the forecast closer to the date.

Have fun, and maybe see you out there, as I'm taking two weeks off to hike as much of the SHT as I can sometime in mid to late September or early October.

Zeno Marx
01-28-2011, 13:22
a year too late, but I have to advocate for the Porkies. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that place. I've hiked a little more than half the 87 miles of trails. One of my favorite places on earth. Good snowshoe backcountrying as well. Would love to move to the area.