PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about water filters.

JessieRvnsmk
01-09-2010, 17:20
Anyone use the Sawyer complete water purifier system? Any comments on how it worked?

juma
01-10-2010, 08:17
Anyone use the Sawyer complete water purifier system? Any comments on how it worked?

I have used the sawyer filter as part of a gravity filter system - prefiltering through a bandanna is always a good practice. Otherwise, it worked well.

Egads
01-10-2010, 09:53
IMO, Water filters are prone to failure and suck. I use Aquamira

Strategic
01-10-2010, 15:54
I use the Sawyer .1 micron filter as the element in my gravity filter system, a much modified H2O Amigo from ULA. It works beautifully with a very high flow rate for a relatively short hose (only about 2' produces about 1.5 liters a minute.) It's good against anything you'll likely encounter in the U.S. backcountry (i.e., bactrerial or cyst diseases.) It's light (a bit less than 2oz for the element) and has proven very durable so far (with about 200 trail miles on it.)

The purifiers Sawyer makes work down to .02 microns and can screen out any possible contaminate, including viruses. If you're headed to a third world country or you're going to be doing disaster relief, then you might need one, but otherwise it's overkill for a U.S. trail. They also seem to be a bit heavier than the .1 micron filters, though I've never had one to weigh for an accurate measurement.

Hope this helps answer your questions. I'm quite a fan of the Sawyers, because you get pure water with no chemicals, quickly and with little effort.

Blissful
01-10-2010, 21:14
We had the Sawyer bottle and filter and it was way to slow. Aquamira worked fine for me.