PDA

View Full Version : Feb. starters...lets talk gear!!!

dgaf169
01-09-2010, 23:45
With just over a month until I start my thru I am starting to second guess my cold weather gear choices. This has been one of the coldest winters in several years in much of the south with several record lows making me wonder if I will be able to stay warm enough. Any how here's what I'm taking let me know what you think.

Baselayer: For hiking I've got the EMS techwick lightwieght, they weigh next to nothing and are excellent for wicking moisture. While at camp I will be using under armor cold gear which is some of the best cold weather baselayer I have ever used!!

Jackets: I will be taking Mountain Hardware windstopper tech fleece, this jacket is perfect for hiking down to about 25 degrees (at least for me) with my techwick baselayer. For camp I will bring my Mountain Hardware sub zero jackets. Althought it is over a pound I think the warmth it will provide me will be well worth carrying it. I've also got my arc teryx alpha sl pullover I can throw on if I get chilly while hiking.

Sleeping bag: marmot helium 15 degree with sea to summit thermal liner. They claim the liner adds 15 degrees of warmth, being that I just got the liner I havnt been able to test it. Has anyone heard anything about these liners?

I also have my balaclava and gloves.

I think that's about it, wada yall think? I'm also interested in what other people are taking to battle the elements.

Hooch
01-09-2010, 23:51
Did you do your shekedowns in cold weather? If so, were you able to stay warm witht eh gear you described? If not, you ought to look into different warm goodies before you get started next month. Of course, you can always gear up at MTX at Neel Gap. :D

white_russian
01-09-2010, 23:53
Sleeping bag: marmot helium 15 degree with sea to summit thermal liner. They claim the liner adds 15 degrees of warmth, being that I just got the liner I havnt been able to test it. Has anyone heard anything about these liners?
The liner will add a few degrees, but not 15. They are great for keeping your sleeping bag clean though.

schraderdc
01-09-2010, 23:53
since I HAVEN'T A CLUE about gear. I will watch this thread carefully. One of my concerns is down v. synthethic as it relates to COLD weather with the threat of rain. Suggestions welcome about the proper trade. The Marmot bag dgaf169 mentions is likely my first choice. The maker claims that the shell is water repellant. Is that true enough to keep the fill from getting wet and becoming useless? I cannot imagine (dont want to imagine) being cold and wet. If my bag becomes useless because its wet, I could be in trouble.

white_russian
01-09-2010, 23:59
since I HAVEN'T A CLUE about gear. I will watch this thread carefully. One of my concerns is down v. synthethic as it relates to COLD weather with the threat of rain. Suggestions welcome about the proper trade. The Marmot bag dgaf169 mentions is likely my first choice. The maker claims that the shell is water repellant. Is that true enough to keep the fill from getting wet and becoming useless? I cannot imagine (dont want to imagine) being cold and wet. If my bag becomes useless because its wet, I could be in trouble.
If you have a quality tent/hammock/tarp/whatever you don't have to worry about rain. My down bag is the first thing in my pack in its own trash compactor bag, inside the main trash compactor bag. It is the last thing to come out of my pack and my shelter is setup way before my down bag sees the light of day.

Bulldawg
01-10-2010, 00:01
Did you do your shekedowns in cold weather? If so, were you able to stay warm witht eh gear you described? If not, you ought to look into different warm goodies before you get started next month. Of course, you can always gear up at MTX at Neel Gap. :D

It's 30 miles to MTXings Brother Hooch and depending on the temps, it would be a rough 30 miles. Better to be prepared when stepping off at that first blaze.

wcgornto
01-10-2010, 00:06

First of all, temperature ratings for sleeping bags are not always accurate. Some brands are more true to their temperature ratings than others. But, given the same temperature rating, down bags are lighter and compress smaller than synthetic bags. The downside to down is that it loses its loft when wet and you cannot get the loft back while on trail. The solution is to not let a down bag get wet. The water repellent fabrics used today will work up to a point, but a down bag should be doubly or triply protected in your pack. I use a water resistant stuff sack, which is in turn in a tall kitchen garbage bag. Last year in Maine, the rain in June for SOBOs was of epic proportions. My down bag never got wet, though other things in my pack did.

AggieAl
01-10-2010, 00:12
Sounds good to me. I have just about the same amount of stuff, except a 20 degree down bag. I have slept in snow at 20 degrees here and it was quite warm in the tent.

I also have a pair of long johns and one more shirt in case things get really nasty.

I assume that you have a tent also?

Since this is an El Nino year we can expect it to be colder and wetter in the the south. It seems best to err by having some extra stuff to stay warm.

Look forward to seeing you next month.

Praha4
01-10-2010, 01:17
My strong advice is get yourself a good quality down jacket such as the Mountain Hardwear Nitrous, weight is only around 8 oz., and it will be invaluable to wear in subfreezing temps after stopping the day's hike and sitting around in shelters or in camp. I hiked from Dicks Creek Gap to Winding Stair Gap back in 2nd week of December, and hit night time temps below 10 degrees along the trail, with 25-35 mph winds at Standing Indian Mtn, wind chill was close to zero. That Nitrous down jacket was the BEST clothing item I brought along, plus you can wear it inside a 15 degree sleeping bag and it keeps you plenty warm down to zero.

The second best clothing item I use is a Patagonia R2 Regulator fleece jacket. It is fantastic for wearing over your wicking base layer for hiking in temps below 40 degrees or so. I also own the Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Tech jacket, and it is great for WIND, but not so great for keeping warm in camp at night or below 40 degree temps when you are not moving. You can suddenly hit very high winds on the trail when you come out from behind the lee side of a mountain or ridge line, suddenly that wind hits you like a fire hose, and you will be scambling for hat and gloves, so bring them too.

And it goes without saying, bring quality breathable rain gear, (GORETEX, Event, or similar).

If you are staring in Feb or early March, you will see temps similar to what I saw in mid December, bring the clothing to deal with everything from zero to 50s or even 60s daytime temps, and expect rain.

solidcopy
01-10-2010, 14:33
I too have some gear questions: I am planning to start my thru-hike on the third weekend in February. I know it has been unseasonably cold this year so far. I have a Western Mountaineering 20* down bag and a silk liner for it. I am also planning to bring a Hilleberg Akto tent. I swapped a Prolite 3 for a Neoair, but am wondering whether or not I will miss the R value of the Prolite pad. I have a bit of extra insulation ;) and am generally a very warm sleeper. I felt adequately geared before reading this thread, but am now wondering whether I should pick up a 0* bag just to be sure. I was planning on using the 20* bag the whole hike.

white_russian
01-10-2010, 14:40
I too have some gear questions: I am planning to start my thru-hike on the third weekend in February. I know it has been unseasonably cold this year so far. I have a Western Mountaineering 20* down bag and a silk liner for it. I am also planning to bring a Hilleberg Akto tent. I swapped a Prolite 3 for a Neoair, but am wondering whether or not I will miss the R value of the Prolite pad. I have a bit of extra insulation ;) and am generally a very warm sleeper. I felt adequately geared before reading this thread, but am now wondering whether I should pick up a 0* bag just to be sure. I was planning on using the 20* bag the whole hike.
Try using that Neoair in your backyard and see how quickly it gets set aside. WV should be cold enough.

Since you have a very good 20 deg bag I would just add a nice down jacket that can do double duty as something to wear around camp.

takethisbread
01-10-2010, 14:49
I have hiked the AT extensively this winter(including today), this is what I have used in the northeast.

Patagonia baselayer
2 midlayers ( loosefit)
Rei shell ( poly)

Mittens(not gloves!!!!)

Hat

Sock liners
Wool socks

Camp clothes:
Down booty
Camp hat (rabbit hair full coverage)

Stove:
My alcohol stove has occasionally been hard to light
I have been bringing esbit tabs and they are useful since they light easy

I also keep one top/fleece for camp.

I have never been cold this winter except my fingers before I moved to mittens. That was key. It's been very cold and my zero bag is loved.

I wear gortex boots. When I moved to sock liners my feet stayed warm.

I have yet to use my tent but I will soon.

BrianLe
01-10-2010, 14:56
Solidcopy, FWIW I'm starting about the same time you are and with a similar set of gear --- WM 20F bag, and a neo-air. For the padding, I'm adding both a 1/8" and a 1/4" thinlight pad from Gossamer Gear. I figure at some point I'll mail home one of the thinlight pads but keep the other throughout to protect the bottom of the neo-air.
Not sure what mix or match I'll end up liking best with the pads --- both on bottom, both on top of the neo-air, or one on top and one on bottom (my default plan). But these should both protect the neo-air and keep me warmer for the first few weeks.

I'm with White Russian on adding a down jacket, that's exactly my plan, both for use in camp and to beef up the sleeping bag warmth if needed.

I guess the other factor is just our willingness to get off trail if it's just flat too cold or otherwise awful weather conditions relative to our skill level and equipment base ... but I'm guessing this setup will do fine, and without being inordinately heavy or bulky.

solidcopy
01-10-2010, 15:08
I actually forgot to mention, I too, also purchased a down jacket that I plan on wearing in camp, and if necessary, in my bag.

dgaf169
01-10-2010, 15:16
Hooch-yes I did do my shakedowns but the temps never got below 30...doin a 100 section next week from front royal to penmar state park.
Praha-the mountain hardware sub zero is a down jacket and is extremly warm, to warm, for me to actually hike in.

Oh and BTW I'm going to bring my mountain hardware stilletto II tent...extremly light and durable.

Lillianp
01-10-2010, 22:23
Ooh, I'm so in on this gear talk! Starting Feb. 22nd. Just bought a 0F bag (I like being warm) to use until I switch to my 25F bag. I have a thermarest 3/4 length pad.
In terms of clothing, I have a midlayer and baselayer to hike in and was planning on using my rain jacket as a windstopper. I'll probably add a midlayer to that set up soon. I have a pair of quick dry pants and I'm not sure if I'll be bringing long underwear bottoms to wear during the day.

For camp, I have a down jacket, a mid layer and another thermal long sleeve shirt, fleece pants and long underwear another pair of hiking socks with liners as well. I have fleece glittens so I can operate my stove. I was walking around outside briefly in my down jacket and baselayer with a t-shirt and I think I need a second midlayer for camp for the first week or two.. :-\ Perhaps not if I'm planning on eating quickly and jumping into my bag.

Myaaka
01-11-2010, 14:43
Hey everyone! I am also starting in Feb. I will be on the Approach trail on the 24th. As for gear, I also have the marmot helium 15 degree bag just like dgaf169, but I don't have the liner. I am doing my first trial run tomorrow and Wednesday with all my gear, so I'll be able to see if I can stay warm enough. I have everything that I need so far, except for my outer layer pants. Any ideas? All I have right now is the Patagonia Capilene 2 Bottoms for my baselayer. I was hoping to find a lightweight pair of pants that is water proof and somewhat warm. My baselayer should be good enough for keeping me warm, I hope, since my legs don't tend to get too cold while hiking. My total base weight is at 12.65 lbs (w/o food/water) and I am hoping not to go to much higher. Oh, and this is my first real hiking trip since I was like 8. :) This is going to be so much fun! =D

takethisbread
01-13-2010, 08:57
Hey everyone! I am also starting in Feb. I will be on the Approach trail on the 24th. As for gear, I also have the marmot helium 15 degree bag just like dgaf169, but I don't have the liner. I am doing my first trial run tomorrow and Wednesday with all my gear, so I'll be able to see if I can stay warm enough. I have everything that I need so far, except for my outer layer pants. Any ideas? All I have right now is the Patagonia Capilene 2 Bottoms for my baselayer. I was hoping to find a lightweight pair of pants that is water proof and somewhat warm. My baselayer should be good enough for keeping me warm, I hope, since my legs don't tend to get too cold while hiking. My total base weight is at 12.65 lbs (w/o food/water) and I am hoping not to go to much higher. Oh, and this is my first real hiking trip since I was like 8. :) This is going to be so much fun! =D

I'd be interested in what you are carrying, b/c 12 lbs sounds a bit extreme for a February start. Camp clothes/shoes/rain protection seem to be neccessities in my experience. It would be a good idea if you posted your gear and you haven't hiked in a couple of decades, maybe someone here more experienced than you or I could rate it.

ClassicMagger
01-13-2010, 12:45
Okay, I have a quick question about stoves since that encompasses gear...

What kinda stove is everyone using either gas or liquid...I have my pocket rocket and figured I'd be fine, but I'm beginning to have my doubts as the date approaches closer and closer.

Ideas?

Thanks,

-Kevin

white_russian
01-13-2010, 12:51
Okay, I have a quick question about stoves since that encompasses gear...

What kinda stove is everyone using either gas or liquid...I have my pocket rocket and figured I'd be fine, but I'm beginning to have my doubts as the date approaches closer and closer.

Ideas?

Thanks,

-Kevin
My snowpeak similar to the pocket rocket sputters and chokes at 15 deg. I use a Windpro for cold weather.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 12:52
The key to having a good time in February is warm stuff in camp. For in camp I have a Patagonia Down Sweater, Campmor 200 weight fleece jacket and fleece pants, one pair long underwear for in camp, two pairs of socks. Almost, ALMOST got the feathered friends down booties. Boy did those look tempting. And an arc'teryx hat. And a neck gaiter. And mittens. And two hand warmers to throw in the sleeping bag on a really badly cold day.

ClassicMagger
01-13-2010, 12:59
White_Russian - I've seen these stoves but my biggest worry is a large pressure drop and my canister stove becomes useless. BTW- How do you like the legs on the stove in comparison? I thought they might actually be a little more wobbly then the Pocket Rocket, besides the fact that it isn't on top the canister.

I guess what I'm asking is how do you keep your fuel canister warm enough, outside of hiking with it in your coat the last few miles of the day once in camp and lit?

Thanks,

-Kevin

ClassicMagger
01-13-2010, 13:27
Okay and something else, I've been slightly debating, but leaning towards not...a friend suggested these and swears by them.

A set of crampons, but more specifically not 'real' crampons but the YakTrax Pro, which are like 30 bucks: http://www.yaktrax.com/ProductsPro.aspx

Anyone thinking of taking something like this for the slippery fun...btw- I do NOT use Trekking poles if that is what someone is going to ask.

-Kevin

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 14:49
YakTrax don't do anything on ice- I find they make it worse. The only thing they help with is slipper snow. If I was say, in VT in Feb, I'd get real crampons.

white_russian
01-13-2010, 15:31
White_Russian - I've seen these stoves but my biggest worry is a large pressure drop and my canister stove becomes useless. BTW- How do you like the legs on the stove in comparison? I thought they might actually be a little more wobbly then the Pocket Rocket, besides the fact that it isn't on top the canister.

I guess what I'm asking is how do you keep your fuel canister warm enough, outside of hiking with it in your coat the last few miles of the day once in camp and lit?

Thanks,

-Kevin
I think the Windpro does better in cold because of the preheat tube that the pocket rocket/ect. does not have. Now if it gets really cold with the windpro you can always turn the canister upside down and get every last drop of fuel out if you need to. If you were going to be doing that a lot then a real inverted canister stove would probably be better, I don't do it enough to worry with that. As far as the legs go it is way better than a pocket rocket/ect. The base is wider, the pot supports are wider, and it is lower.

Lyle
01-13-2010, 15:32

Just a comment about down bags and moisture:

Yes it's a concern. Yes it can be dealt with if you use some common sense and a few basic precautions.

1) Protect your bag when it's stuffed. Keep a plastic liner inside the stuff sack. Keep you pack covered when it is raining. This is a higher priority than keeping myself dry.

2) Do not unpack your bag too early when the weather is very damp, it will take on some of the damp air.

3) In the AM, if it is cold, stuff your down bag as soon as you get out of it. This will force the warm, moist air out of the down so that it doesn't condense as the bag cools down.

4) Take advantage of every opportunity to air/dry your bag when the weather is sunny and dry. This will go a very long way in combating the every-night accumulation of moisture from your breathing and sweating. If you stop early and the weather is dry, hang your bag in a sunny spot. If you are leaving late on a dry morning, hang your bag in a sunny spot, if you take your lunch break at a sunny spot, pull out your bag and hang it for a while. Finally, if you have not had nice weather for a few days, and now your find yourself hiking down a sunny path, pull your bag out and drape it over your pack to get some air. Looks silly, but works.

5) When you come into town, toss your bag into a dryer set on low for a cycle or two, even if you don't think it's wet. It will help.

Know that a down bag gets wet gradually. One night or two nights of downpour should not saturate your bag. Falling into a creek with your bag stuffed will hardly be noticeable to the bag. It is difficult to saturate a down bag, ever try to wash one? That's one of the hardest parts, to get it wet.

What is possible is a gradual degradation of insulating ability due to night after night of sweating, breathing, tent condensation. This is what you have to be aware of and counter. Too many folks worry that one rainy night and their down will become useless. Besides, a wet synthetic bag is not comfortable to sleep in either. It may be a bit warmer, but you will still be wet and miserable. You really need to take the same kind of precautions with a synthetic as you do a down if you want to stay comfortable.

That's all for my rant. Learn to protect and care for your sleeping bag properly and down will serve you very well for many years. It's more comfortable when it's warm out too.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:15
3) In the AM, if it is cold, stuff your down bag as soon as you get out of it. This will force the warm, moist air out of the down so that it doesn't condense as the bag cools down.

Likewise in the summer, if you were sweaty a bit while you slept, pack your sleeping bag last and try to let it dry a bit first.

Sun does a surprisingly good job of A- drying any (slight) dampness of your bag, and B- making it feel and smeel fresher. In my opinion.

BrianLe
01-13-2010, 18:03
ClassicMagger asked:

"What kinda stove is everyone using either gas or liquid...I have my pocket rocket and figured I'd be fine, but I'm beginning to have my doubts as the date approaches closer and closer."

I'm not sure why you're having doubts, so tough to address that. Seems to me that if you already own that stove, you're set. What I'm personally bringing for this trip is a UL Caldera Cone (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=129&osCsid=c9077fc47d407c63d5951b868d05f27b) setup from MLD along with their 850 ml titanium cup/pot (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=113&osCsid=c9077fc47d407c63d5951b868d05f27b). But if you already have a stove and pot that work for you, then ... ?

Yaktrax: I'm not a fan. Not too good in snow, IMO, just ice, and I've seen them just fall off. If you're set on traction devices, consider Kahtoola Microspikes (http://www.rei.com/product/774966), or Camp 6-point ~crampons (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/CMP300). I'm starting in late Feb and not bringing any sort of traction devices; if it gets icy, I expect I'll make do with just a bit of care and judicious use of trekking poles.

TEXMAN
01-13-2010, 18:19
Last year I started on Feb 15 and when I got to Mt Crossings I got rid of my synthetic 10 degree cheap bag and my North Face Fleece jacket and bought a Montbell Down Jacket and a 20 degree Western Mountaineering bag...
BEST DECISION I EVER MADE ... I was never cold from that point on and often slept only in underwear BECAUSE THE BAG WAS SO WARM....:banana

Your bag will be fine , just keep it dry...

and I don't know about "unusually cold this year" I remember waking up to 15 degree weather - in my tent - in a shelter ...everything was frozen except what I had in my bag with me.. (including my pee bottle which started out at 98.6 degrees at 2 am)

Good Luck

May see you on the trail
O.M. River

Thrasher
01-13-2010, 18:49
What kinda stove is everyone using either gas or liquid...
I'm using a caldera cone and alcohol stove. Leaving Feb. 13th. I have to tilt the stove a little towards my lighter to light it, but it seems to work fine in cold weather. Just takes a minute to get it started sometimes.

dgaf169
01-18-2010, 11:06
Damn weather!!! I was gettin ready to do a 100 mile section in northern va so I could play with some of my new cold weather gear that I bought but wasn't sure if I was gonna take on my thru. There calling for temps in the high 40's to low 50's...I think I'm gonna go anyways I'm getting a little stir crazy waiting around for feb 15th. Guess I see yall in 5 or 6 days. Adios!!!

takethisbread
01-18-2010, 22:12
I have finalized my gear.
Pack: ULA Catalyst- love it, perfect for a Feb start
Bag: Golight Zero degree- a bit warm for some, but I like it.
Pad: Big Agnes: so much cold protection.
Stove: Jet Boil with converter kit- toughest choice. I tried an Alcohol
Stove, a Esbit Stove and a Whisper Light as well. Seen countless others on the trail.
JetBoil has its drawbacks, namely the fuel. But it's so efficient, it's hard to screw up
The converter kit makes it lighter and more versatile. I like it's reliability, as the alcohol had problems in the coldest temps, and the esbit smells. The whisperlite needs a babysitter.
Pillow- yes I bought one. I'm sorry but I think the 8 oz are worth a healthy neck.
It compressed really small.
Bivy sack-neccessity
Headlamp-ditto
Cell phone and charger-ditto
Grill lighter- size does matter
Steripen- water treatment
Contact lenses-couple pairs
AT guide-just a few pages from Ga/Nc section
Camera-nikkon Coolpix1000, big but useful
Fuel-2 canisters
Tent-Golite Xanadu. Very light, might switch to hammock in spring
Mittens- nice and crucial.
Rope- some rip chord like 50 ft
Bum-baby wipes(half dozen dried out a bit
Mini toothbrush with mini paste and mini purell
Titanium spork
Umbrella
Trashbags and stuffsacks

Items missing that most people carry;
Maps
Soap
First aid kit
Swiss army knife
Exotic cookware(I just carry a light titanium pan)

Clothing in bag: ( not on me)
Extra pair socks
Extra jersey
Down/polypro coat
Lohn johns-ua coldgear
Knit hat
Camp booties

Elder
01-18-2010, 22:31
I have finalized my gear.
Pack: ULA Catalyst- love it, perfect for a Feb start
Bag: Golight Zero degree- a bit warm for some, but I like it.
Pad: Big Agnes: so much cold protection.
Stove: Jet Boil with converter kit- toughest choice. I tried an Alcohol
Stove, a Esbit Stove and a Whisper Light as well. Seen countless others on the trail.
JetBoil has its drawbacks, namely the fuel. But it's so efficient, it's hard to screw up
The converter kit makes it lighter and more versatile. I like it's reliability, as the alcohol had problems in the coldest temps, and the esbit smells. The whisperlite needs a babysitter.
Pillow- yes I bought one. I'm sorry but I think the 8 oz are worth a healthy neck.
It compressed really small.
Bivy sack-neccessity
Headlamp-ditto
Cell phone and charger-ditto
Grill lighter- size does matter
Steripen- water treatment
Contact lenses-couple pairs
AT guide-just a few pages from Ga/Nc section
Camera-nikkon Coolpix1000, big but useful
Fuel-2 canisters
Tent-Golite Xanadu. Very light, might switch to hammock in spring
Mittens- nice and crucial.
Rope- some rip chord like 50 ft
Bum-baby wipes(half dozen dried out a bit
Mini toothbrush with mini paste and mini purell
Titanium spork
Umbrella
Trashbags and stuffsacks

Items missing that most people carry;
Maps
Soap
First aid kit
Swiss army knife
Exotic cookware(I just carry a light titanium pan)

Clothing in bag: ( not on me)
Extra pair socks
Extra jersey
Down/polypro coat
Lohn johns-ua coldgear
Knit hat
Camp booties

I highly recommend Lekis...support, balance, propulsion and stability..nothing else compares :D

sarahgirl
01-28-2010, 20:00
My strong advice is get yourself a good quality down jacket such as the Mountain Hardwear Nitrous, weight is only around 8 oz., and it will be invaluable to wear in subfreezing temps after stopping the day's hike and sitting around in shelters or in camp. I hiked from Dicks Creek Gap to Winding Stair Gap back in 2nd week of December, and hit night time temps below 10 degrees along the trail, with 25-35 mph winds at Standing Indian Mtn, wind chill was close to zero. That Nitrous down jacket was the BEST clothing item I brought along, plus you can wear it inside a 15 degree sleeping bag and it keeps you plenty warm down to zero.

The second best clothing item I use is a Patagonia R2 Regulator fleece jacket. It is fantastic for wearing over your wicking base layer for hiking in temps below 40 degrees or so. I also own the Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Tech jacket, and it is great for WIND, but not so great for keeping warm in camp at night or below 40 degree temps when you are not moving. You can suddenly hit very high winds on the trail when you come out from behind the lee side of a mountain or ridge line, suddenly that wind hits you like a fire hose, and you will be scambling for hat and gloves, so bring them too.

And it goes without saying, bring quality breathable rain gear, (GORETEX, Event, or similar).

If you are staring in Feb or early March, you will see temps similar to what I saw in mid December, bring the clothing to deal with everything from zero to 50s or even 60s daytime temps, and expect rain.

I also have a Patagonia R2 Regulator fleece (actually have two of them), and will be bringing one of these along.I love this jacket!!! I'm thinking it will be worth the weight ;) Combined with a lightweight and midweight pair of icebreakers and waterproof/windproof jacket. I think this will be all I need, I hope so anyway.

...I will also be wearing pants.