PDA

View Full Version : Pensacola Hikers

Red Dawn
01-10-2010, 00:14
I just finished my solo AT thru-hike and I'm quite addicted to hiking now. Since I live in Pensacola I have been hiking sections around my area. Out of all the people I know I'm the only person enjoys hiking - We did Blackwater section while he was in town but he lives in G-ville. We have it planned to do the Apalachicola section over spring break. I have looked into joing the local FTA - but there doesnt seem to be members under 50+ - While I met many older guys on the trail and enjoyed there company. I like to hike high miles 20+ and perfer hikes longer then a weekend. So if there are any Pensacola hikers out there..Please reply here. I'm desperate. :confused:

Nean
01-10-2010, 03:54
I see a PCT hike in your future! :D

BTW- you mention you hiked solo on the AT - why not in your neck of the woods?:confused: Just a wonderin...:o

zeus307
01-10-2010, 09:50
I can understand your frustrations!! I live in eagle lake, fl and love hiking and I to hike the local state forest and areas for hiking. I love hiking and I section hike the AT every year for a week. My theory on it, I just go and hike as I can and when I can. Stay focused and do what you love!!

jnanagardener
01-10-2010, 16:08
Have you thought of starting a hiking group? You'll probably find lots of people in your area who share your frustration and will be grateful for your leadership. Congrats on your thru hike!

Red Dawn
01-10-2010, 21:10
Thank you! I did not do it totally solo I had my Amtaff Terrier - minus smokies and baxter of course. I actually didn't know much about the Florida trail until I ran into a few FTA members at the Wapiti shelter of all places. I enjoyed hiking it so far something about the change up of mountain hiking to swamp hiking. I have tried to reach out to other hikers in my area but hiking is just not big in this state. I'm hoping some will read this post. Knock on wood.

jnanagardener
01-10-2010, 22:20
I recently joined a group called Florida Trekkers. Nearly all (so far) live in northeast Florida (Jacksonville) except me (Palm Harbor, west central FL). There is a decent age range and an ever-growing range of hikes/overnights. Check out the site and you'll find events planned through May, including Cumberland Island Georgia, Etoniah State Park, Paynes Prairie, Juniper Wilderness, Little Econfina, a week-long expedition in Withlacoochee and yes, Springer to Neel's Gap on the AT in May. Florida hikers are out there! The more who join the more the range will too. Take care.

BumpJumper
01-11-2010, 10:56
Red,
Sent ya an inbox.:D

Gray Blazer
01-11-2010, 11:20
There's a FL WB event planned for Etoniah on Jan 29. Check the calendar on this website.

greg burke
01-11-2010, 12:04
Wow , how cool is that .I use to live in Pcola from 1968 to 1977 we use to go camping at black water river state pare all the time man I love that place. Thanks for sharing.

Mountain Dog
01-11-2010, 20:06
I too live in Pensacola but am of the really old generation. I only average 16 to 18 miles per day, unless the days are long. So, I'm not really a match for you. BUT, while hiking areas are being thrown around, I recommend you tackle the Pinhoti in at least Alabama. The Alabama Pinhoti is currently about 150 woods miles and only 4.5 hours from Pensacola. It is not the AT because the pulls are not as long but there are decent pulls and prety views. But, you'll love it if you like some mountain views and solitude on the trail. go to http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/ if you want more info.