PDA

View Full Version : base layer

slugger
01-10-2010, 07:55
I was wondering what makes up a good base layer.
I currently have (http://www.rei.com/product/755379)and a matching top. I was wondering if I need a base layer under this and if so what you would suggest for a good base layer.

Cabin Fever
01-10-2010, 08:02
Those are probably too thick for a base layer. The going debate on what is best is between Under Armour Cold Gear, Smartwool and Patagonia Capilene. I have UA and Patagonia and use both. My layers are usually UA cold gear pants and hiking pants on the bottom (and UA boxer jock underwear). On top, capilene, long sleeve 1/4 zip of some sort, then fleece/coat/vest.

Egads
01-10-2010, 09:55
Dead link

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters

bigcranky
01-10-2010, 11:05
Link: http://www.rei.com/product/755379

The Powerstretch is great stuff for camp and sleeping on cold nights. It has to be *really* cold for me to wear mine as a base layer while hiking. (Really cold = highs below 15-F. And maybe not even then.)

Hiking base layers should be fairly light and breathable and able to wick sweat away from your skin. They shouldn't be very warm on their own. Any of the light synthetics are fine, though I have come to prefer wool. The Icebreaker 150 weight wool long johns great for both top and bottom. Smartwool makes a similar weight, as does Ibex.

BrianLe
01-10-2010, 11:46
"I was wondering what makes up a good base layer."

Define "good" ... seriously. Since you're planning a 2011 thru-hike, I agree with Bigcranky about "light and breathable and able to wick sweat away" being great virtues. So when I use Capilene, I go for Capilene 1 (or the equivalent), quite thin --- I've been okay with a white long-sleeved Cap 1 base layer hiking in 80 degree weather.

But depending on hiking style and situation, perhaps some people think of "base layer" as something to pile on to add warmth, so it depends on what you're thinking about here (?). Smartwool has the advantage of accumulating less smell, which for long-distance hikers ultimately becomes more an issue of not offending others (perhaps to include those who might offer a ride at a trail head ...) than yourself, but perhaps holds onto moisture more than Cap 1.

In some situations, your base layer might --- or might not --- be helpful in protecting you from sun, even from insects. You might wear a lower-body base layer (for example, silk, or smartwool, or cap 1 long johns) under long pants, or just under shorts when hiking.

The better you can prioritize what you want your base layer to do or not do for you in a given situation, the easier it is to pick which one is "best".

JAK
01-10-2010, 13:11
In my opinion, base layers should be thin and flannelly and loose but snug.
I don't think Armour All or whatever its called is a proper base layer for outdoors.

Silk, wool, flannelly polyester, make good baselayers.

Its good to skip the baselayer most of the time during fair weather on multiday trips. i.e Wool sweater and shorts, without baselayer most of the time, adding baselayer and shells and hat and mitts only when needed. Its easier that way, to keep the wool sweater on, and stash and unstash lighter stuff. The idea works all four seasons, but the total weight of all your layers changes depending on the temperature extreme for that month. Since most days will be above the extreme, by definition, you will be delayered most of the time, and it doesn't matter if you delayer unevenly since you still have to carry it all.

Lostone
01-10-2010, 13:18
I like these

http://www.rei.com/product/778398

I am not a big fan of patagochi but it is an easy example. Check sierra trading post, rei-outlet or other sources for less expensive long johns.

I really dislike underarmour long underwear. Their boxer briefs are good but way over priced.

slugger
01-10-2010, 15:19
Lots of good info. Thanks all. I was looking for a base not only for my '11 thru (leaving late and hike slow...) but for hiking in the winter too.

Tinker
01-10-2010, 15:38
Something very light (often referred to as "silk weight") in wool or polyester would be what I would choose (and what I use on my long section hikes). Lighter undies dry quicker, pack smaller, and weigh less than the heavier stuff. If you want to take two base layer garments for your torso it wouldn't be a bad thing. I recommend that at least one of them have a zipper on the neck for venting for strenuous hiking.
Note: Wool garments don't take friction as well as most (not all) polyester ones, and, though they make a comfortable pair of long underpants, and don't pick up body odors as readily as polyester (or polypro), you might be better off with synthetic lowers for the wear factor if you hike with them on.

nox
01-10-2010, 15:44
Slugger - have you checked out the Philadelphia Premium Outlets? they have a Columbia store that sells last years stuff dirt cheap. Midweight poly thermals for like $10, light wool and acrylic sweaters for $10. They make a great first and second layer. If you don't find anything you like there, there's an Under armour outlet there too (not as cheep though).

Cabin Fever
01-10-2010, 17:26
Watch out for brand elitists/haters. It's almost like football the amount of passion about brands on here.

Lostone
01-10-2010, 19:00
I am a fan of saving money. If I lived near Philly I would be all over that Columbia store.

Del Q
01-10-2010, 19:54
I have converted to wool, lightweight merino from Icebreaker or Backpackinglight.com

Wool tee shirt is a great "baselayer", never stinks, great in all 4 seasons. Icebreaker longjohns work for me, for the most part I am either moving or in my down bag. In super cold I add thin Patagonia Capilene, also carry a super lightweight GoLite wind shirt.

Thin layers and a rain jacket, when moving is fine to almost any temp.

J-Fro
01-10-2010, 20:25
Smartwool Midweight for me. Doesn't stink and feels great. Check out www.moontrail.com for good deal.

Bilko
01-10-2010, 20:43
J-Fro MoonTrail is a great site. Thanks for sharing it. I'm thinking about buying a bag from them right now.

Tinker
01-11-2010, 00:56
J-Fro MoonTrail is a great site. Thanks for sharing it. I'm thinking about buying a bag from them right now.
I bought my Akto tent from them a few years ago.
Very informative site.

verber
01-11-2010, 02:42
PowerStretch can be a good base layer in cool to cold condition. I used it a lot back when I was climbing (because it is more abrasion resistant that powerdry which is the material I typically use) and skiing (because it was more body hugging).

As others have pointed out, it a bit heavy in warmer conditions. I second going with a feather weight base. I like PowerDry + Xstatic or VisaEndurance to reduce stink. Some people like wool though I am not one of them due to alergies. I have collected links to some additional base info on my recommended bases (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html#BaseTorso) page.

--mark

brooklynkayak
01-11-2010, 09:32
My vote is for light weight natural fibers. I can't tolerate the stench of synthetics and the smell doesn't go away very easy. Natural fibers clean in cold water, The smell in synthetics will stay unless you really wash well with detergent/soap and use warm to hot water.
Washing in cold water is convenient on the trail and the natural fibers tend to smell cleaner after just rinsing in cold water.

Merino wool, silk or bamboo fiber light base layers and use synthetics for mid and top layers.

lilricky
02-10-2010, 00:16
If your looking for a good, breathable, wicking, lightweight, and cheap baselayer, check out the C9 line by Champion. You can find them online and at your local Target store.

Wags
02-10-2010, 11:17
i've found marmot polartec power dry tops and bottoms at marshall's for under $10. they are exactly what you want out of a base layer. exactly

NorthCountryWoods
02-14-2010, 11:23
Smartwool Midweight for me. Doesn't stink and feels great. Check out www.moontrail.com (http://www.moontrail.com) for good deal.

Totally agree. Used to stick with all synthetic, but I'm a new convert to wool. Wife bought me an assortment of smartwool for xmas 08 and am very impressed. Doesn't itch, doesn't stink, feels warmer when wet, and has lasted longer than comparable synthetics.

Haven't tried the briefs yet, but they're next on my list.

Mags
02-16-2010, 13:47
For all my long hikes, I use the generic polypro. Light, cheap and it works.

Bags4266
02-16-2010, 13:55
I second the C9 Champion line at Target. Good summer T's also

WalkSoftly33
02-16-2010, 15:49
I am a huge fan of merino wool. The smell factor/ feel cant be beat for me at least.

With that said, hiking in the Whites of NH last october I had a L/s 200wt merino and a L/s Zip neck Capilenne (2or3?) The Merino was on under my rain jacket.

We were basically in a cloud never raining hard but just plain wet. My rain jacket became soaked and I took it off. The merino became pretty saturated. Once we stopped I changed into my Capillene, It performed amazing! My body heat was drying it as we hiked and I felt perfect in it, all I needed for the rest of the day.

I will be bringing a merino base layer for my thru. I find it better to sleep in and the smell factor. Im just in between a 260wt icebreaker that I love.(grey/green) Or a 150wt black smartwool. I just do not like the look of all black. I know fashion! but still I feel like im getting ready to rob a bank in it or something. and the 260 is slightly looser so it hides my manboobs.

A zip neck is very functional/useful