PDA

View Full Version : TNF Dolomite Sleeping Bag

gunner76
01-10-2010, 14:18
North Face Dolomite Sleeping Bag test

I am 6 ft 2 and 290 lbs
Sleep hot and on my side

I have a North Face Ibex that I bought in the early 70’s; that I used to death and need to throw away but keep it out of sentimental reasons. I also decided to go with a rectangular bag for the extra room to twist and turn in and I wanted a bag for cool/warm conditions (to 20 degrees) that I could use car camping and backpacking. I will be looking for a cold weather (sub zero) bag later.

I decided to get the TNF Dolomite bag. Got the Large version in green. I paid $80 online with shipping. The spec for the bag are at the bottom of the page. I have used this bag for car camping when the temp was only in the 40’s and found it to be easy to get in and out of and no cold spots. Next I had to wait for the temps to really drop so I could give it a real test

I tested the bag in my shed in my back yard. My main problem was waiting for a night for the temp to get into the 20’s . With the doors open its like a shelter along the Appalachian Trail and it has a wood floor (I left the shed doors open for the test). I used a 1.5” thick self inflating pad.

I found that it kept me warm to the mid 20’s (that is as cold it got here). Since the bag does not have a hood I placed my winter coat over my head to keep my head warm and it worked fine. I found the long bag to be plenty long for my 6 ft 2” size although I would have liked it to be a little larger in the girth for my shoulders. For the price I am very happy with the bag.

Here are the specs from TNF……..
Dolomite
20ºF/-7ºC
H.O.T™ SL
Semi-Rectangular
Reg RH, Lng RH
Reg: 3 lbs 10 oz (1640 g) Lng: 3 lbs 14 oz (1770 g)
8" x 17" (20 cm x 43 cm

Slip into this semi-rectangular sleeping bag and stay warm in temperatures down to 20ºF, or unzip it to create an extra blanket to share with a friend. A campground favorite, this synthetic-insulated bag's versatility makes it stand out among other cool weather sleeping bags, and blankets.
Features

20°F rectangular bag unzips flat for campground versatility
Heatshield Optimal Technology™ (H.O.T. SL) synthetic insulation
Silky polyester taffeta shell and liner fabric
Full-length draft tube
Easy-grab zip pulls
Shoulder-level zip pocket
Overlapping shingle construction
RH= Right Hand Zip
*Gift box not available for this item
Sizes RRH
Avg Total Weight reg: 3 lbs 10 oz (1640 g) lng: 3 lbs 14 oz (1770 g)
External Length reg: 77" (213 cm) lng: 83" (228 cm)
Fabric 100% polyester Enduralite
Fill Weight reg: 2 lbs 3 oz (980 g) lng: 2 lbs 6 oz (1065 g)
Foot Circ reg: 65" (165 cm) lng: 65" (165 cm)
Hip Circ reg: 65" (165 cm) lng: 65" (165 cm)
Max User Height reg: 6' 0" (183 cm) lng: 6' 6" (198 cm)
Max User Height reg: 6'0" (183 cm) lng: 6'6" (198 cm)
Shoulder Circ reg: 65" (165 cm) lng: 65" (165 cm)
Stuffsack Size 8" x 17" (20 cm x 43 cm)
Temp Rating 20° F/-7° C
Technology H.O.T.™ SL Fill (http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TNFProductTechnologyDOMWindow?technologyId=29016&storeId=207&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&queryParams=here&startDOMWindow&iframeDOMWindow=true&height=696&width=624) H.O.T.™ SL Fill

Tinker
01-10-2010, 14:55
I'll use it if you carry it :D.

gunner76
01-11-2010, 21:40
Never said it was lightweight.

At my size I am limited to the bags and tents I can fit in.

The cold weather sleeping bag I want to get is by Western Mountain due to its large size.