PDA

View Full Version : Chacos vs. cheap camp shoes

Buckeye Hike
01-10-2010, 20:06
Was wondering what camp shoe was best for a thru-hike. I know Chacos weigh more but I feel they have good support. I hear about people that buy cheap sandels to save on weight but I feel that having a cheap shoe could cause injury when hiking into town or to get water. What does everyone think?

Chaco Taco
01-10-2010, 20:23
Chacos are way to heavy for camp shoes. Most people that have chacos actually hike with them. I dont even use camp shoes. I get to camp, set up, cook dinner, hang out and go to bed. No reason for camp shoes IMO. Not worth extra weight

Cabin Fever
01-10-2010, 20:52
19 of the next 20 posts will be in favor of crocs or cheap knock offs. I have a pair of Croc brand flip flops that I take in the summer. I have down booties for the winter. The flip flops are basically foam so the weight practically nothing.

white_russian
01-10-2010, 21:15
You don't need support for walking around in camp. I like crocs, but any cheap sandal works fine

CrumbSnatcher
01-10-2010, 21:18
Chacos are way to heavy for camp shoes. Most people that have chacos actually hike with them. I dont even use camp shoes. I get to camp, set up, cook dinner, hang out and go to bed. No reason for camp shoes IMO. Not worth extra weight
chaco taco is right on!!! the sandels were so comfortable,i had no camp shoes
its too bad the new chaco sandels ain't worth a damn! to even consider hiking in. they are now considered college campus instead of performance sandel. the sweet vibram soles are a thing of the past!

Blissful
01-10-2010, 21:20
Crocs. I bought mine in Franklin on my hike in '07 and am still using them today.

Anumber1
01-10-2010, 22:08
I never thought I would ever wear crocs, but I found a pair of wal-mart brand on clearance for $3 and I was actually very happy.

They weigh nearly nothing, they float, and you can use them as a beer coozey

See Here:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/3/9/4/47030003_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38883&c=538)

leaftye
01-10-2010, 22:58
If I was going to get something that's nearly a pound, I think I'd get Chuck Taylor's.

Those Crocs look pretty hard to beat though. They'd probably work pretty well as shower sandals too.

Buckeye Hike
01-12-2010, 21:00
Thanks everyone...I think I'll go with a off brand croc shoe. I mean a shoe that doubles as a beer coozie...who could pass that up.

Dogwood
01-12-2010, 23:41
Thanks everyone...I think I'll go with a off brand croc shoe. I mean a shoe that doubles as a beer coozie...who could pass that up.

BS. It was the $3 price tag that sealed the deal. That they also double as a beer coozie only sweetened the deal. Guess it's kinda why marketing reps show beer commercials during football games?

Tinker
01-12-2010, 23:46
Fwiw: I haven't used camp shoes since 1993, after I broke in my Limmer Heavyweight boots. I wore them loosely tied in camp. I could slip my feet in and out of them for bathroom breaks. I slept in shelters a lot in the 1990s (I'm just clearing my conscience here :o).
I switched to lighter shoes around 2000 and they have been getting lighter every year. I wear my hiking shoes as camp shoes. If they're wet and it isn't too cold I put them on over bare feet (after rinsing the mud off in camp). If it's colder, I put my Sealskinz socks on before donning the cold and/or wet shoes.
In winter I wuss out and bring down booties ;).

bpenpusher
04-28-2010, 02:14
I'd rather not waste my money on other cheap sandals...true that Chacos weight more but yes it provides sturdy comfort in one's feet when in hiking.