PDA

View Full Version : Gear list review

downes911
01-10-2010, 21:07
I am trying to post link to gear list, not sure if it will work but if it does please review thanks.
Oh leaving for thru on 3/12/10
Thanks

Blissful
01-10-2010, 21:13
Might try to copy the list and paste onto your post here. Easier to look at

downes911
01-10-2010, 21:38
I tried, it won't let me. I tried the attachment though it works.

Thanks

mountain squid
01-10-2010, 21:55
ITEM
CLOTHES BAG
shorts
short sleeve shirt
lightweight base layer
fleece pants
socks
liners
hat/headgaiter
mitten/liners
down parka
windstopper jacket
FOOD BAG W/O FOOD
titanium pot w/lid
pot cozy
titatium mug
spork
salt/pepper
windscreen
alcohol stove
TQ BAG
sleeping clothes
sleeping socks
pillow
HAMMOCK/UQ BAG
STAKE BAG
ROPE
1ST AID/PERSONAL BAG
moleskin
bandades
gauze pads
antibiotic cream
excedrin/advil
needle
batteries
hairties
mirror
contacts/solution/case
comb
pack towel
toothbrush/paste
floss
chapstick
RAINGEAR
CAMERA/CORD/TRIPOD
WATER VESSELS
CAMP SHOES
BANDANA
STERIPEN
HEADLAMP
CARDS
DL/CC/CASH
SANITIZER (2OZ)
KNEE STRAPS
COMPASS
KNIFE
BINERS
JOURNAL/PEN
PHONE/CHARGER
PACK RAINCOVER
TOILET PAPER
WEARING OR ON PERSON (below in red)
GAITERS
KEEN WINTER BOOTS
LEKI POLES W/DUCT TAPE
SMARTWOOD HIKING SOCKS
EXOFFICIO CAMISOLE
PATAGONIA CAPILENE LONG SLEEVE PERFORMANCE BASELAYER
North Face convertible pants
BANDANA
LAYNARD/WHISTLE/LITE
CLOCK/TEMP/ALARM
SEATTLE SOMBRORO

See you on the trail,
mt squid

downes911
01-10-2010, 22:18
thanks squid :)

Mango
01-10-2010, 22:20
Here are a few suggestions. Delete the cards, compass, carabiners (unless crucial for hammock), lanyard, and clock. The wt of clothes seems awfully high. You'll be hiking in a light base layer, so you don't need another. A fleece pullover might substitute for the down jacket, then use a windbreaker for the outer layer. Remember, there are only 3 situations to dress for - hiking (a few light layers); cooking / making or breaking camp (more layers but relatively short time), and bed (put on everything and get in the bag if it's really cold). Final suggestion - sleep out on the porch or in the yard with ONLY your hiking gear whenit's very cold. This will give you an idea if what you're planning to take is adequate. Good luck.

mountain squid
01-10-2010, 22:22
You're Welcome!

Very thorough. Some observations:

can shorts or other clothes double as sleeping clothes?
maps
Companion (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=642&compid=1)/Handbook (http://trailplace.com/hb_2010edition.html)
fuel container
lighter
do water vessels include a hydration tube for drinking on the go?
is that clock/temp/alarm thing a watch?
sunscreen (no leaves on the trees)
ear plugs
are biners small ones?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Mango
01-10-2010, 22:38
After further review ... Also ditch the pillow (use unworn clothes in a stuff sack), the tripod, the needle, and anything else you won't need every day. Put a sewing kit and extra meds, toothpaste, Vit I, etc. in a bounce box. Maybe even put the phone recharger in there. A phone itself really isn't necessary; others you hike with will probably have one if you have an emergency. Otherwise, call when you get to town. Another thing that could cause problems is wearing contacts. Keeping your hands clean and finding a clean surface to use for removal, insertion, cleaning, etc. will be a challenge. If they're extended wear, it might not be so much of a problem. The mirror might not be necessary if you wear glasses instead.

jombo22
01-12-2010, 22:45
I think a pillow is a very worthwhile luxury item, and it also allows for wearing everything you have for warmth if necessary. Get a small inflatable pillow, shouldn't weigh more than a few ounces.

Blissful
01-12-2010, 22:49
I think a pillow is a very worthwhile luxury item, and it also allows for wearing everything you have for warmth if necessary. Get a small inflatable pillow, shouldn't weigh more than a few ounces.

I always bring two cocoon pillows, but they are my luxury items. Clothes don't cut it for me.

Blissful
01-12-2010, 22:51
Here are a few suggestions. Delete the cards, compass, carabiners (unless crucial for hammock), lanyard, and clock. The wt of clothes seems awfully high. You'll be hiking in a light base layer, so you don't need another. A fleece pullover might substitute for the down jacket, then use a windbreaker for the outer layer. Remember, there are only 3 situations to dress for - hiking (a few light layers); cooking / making or breaking camp (more layers but relatively short time), and bed (put on everything and get in the bag if it's really cold). Final suggestion - sleep out on the porch or in the yard with ONLY your hiking gear whenit's very cold. This will give you an idea if what you're planning to take is adequate. Good luck.

With that start you're gonna need a down jacket. It can get to single digits mid March to early April at night.

Blissful
01-12-2010, 22:54
I don't know what sleeping bag you have, but you're gonna be cold in a hammock set up. IMO. Unless you are used to it in cold temps.