PDA

View Full Version : Vermont

modiyooch
01-10-2010, 22:06
When is the best time to hike VT in regards to avoiding the mud, and black flies? Are there black flies?

Cookerhiker
01-10-2010, 22:12
Avoid hiking in May and most of June. May is still mud season and the Green Mountain Club recommends hikers wait until after Memorial Day. Re. black flies, they should be gone by July 1.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2010, 22:13
When is the best time to hike VT in regards to avoiding the mud, and black flies? Are there black flies?

mid august

Snowleopard
01-10-2010, 22:16
There are indeed black flies, also mosquitos. Trails are closed from mid April to Memorial day for mud season. September and October are the nicest months.

Cookerhiker
01-10-2010, 22:17
If you can wait 'till mid-August per Wolf's suggestion, you'll also miss the mosquitos. At least I didn't have them when I hiked the Long Trail starting in mid-August '07 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248) - not even around the ponds like Stratton.

modiyooch
01-11-2010, 08:49
My thought was to get in there after the trail recovered from snow melt and before it got mucked up with foot traffic. I ran into alot of NOBOs last year in mid August that were remarking about the mud and advising me to not hike that season. Not sure it that was typical of VT hiking, or whether or not is was an unusual season. I do know that ME got about 6 weeks of straight rain, but I was able to hike in ME.

modiyooch
01-11-2010, 08:53
There are indeed black flies, also mosquitos. Trails are closed from mid April to Memorial day for mud season. September and October are the nicest months.not sure if I can mentally wait until sept/oct until i hike. waiting until late July is bad enough. this trip should be my grand finale. :banana

makoboy
01-11-2010, 08:54
Last year was a bizzare summer for New England, and I wouldnt compare it against anything normal. I was still running into a ton of mud in Sept in CT, where previous years Ive had trouble finding drinking water.

modiyooch
01-11-2010, 08:57
Last year was a bizzare summer for New England, and I wouldnt compare it against anything normal. I was still running into a ton of mud in Sept in CT, where previous years Ive had trouble finding drinking water.
ok, thanks. good to know.

10-K
01-11-2010, 12:27
There are indeed black flies, also mosquitos. Trails are closed from mid April to Memorial day for mud season. September and October are the nicest months.

That's interesting - they close the AT from mid-April until May 31st?

Slo-go'en
01-11-2010, 12:48

The AT isn't exactly "closed" but it is strongly advised not to hike it during mud season. They would like you to avoid hiking on Stratton and Killington, which are on the AT.

However, all trails which are on state owned land, including Mt Mansfield and Camals Hump are closed during mud season.

makoboy
01-11-2010, 12:51

The GMC requests that people do not hike during that time to prevent errosion to the trail, additionally per the GMC website:

"The State of Vermont closes all trails on state land including those on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield from mid-April until Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas.

Also avoid: Stratton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak"
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

tiptoe
01-11-2010, 13:39
A couple of years ago, I hiked Williamstown to Hanover in August. The first week was all rain, and the trail was a big muddy stream. After that, things got better, but the skeeters were out in full force.

Snowleopard
01-11-2010, 16:16
Last summer was very, very wet and cool in New England. I expected all the water to make the mosquitos absolutely awful here, but they weren't bad at all (in Central Mass.). In the Berkshires they were a little worse, but still not bad.

If you want to hike in June, just carry DEET and a mosquito net, treat your clothes with permethrin. If you have a light tent, carry it for the bugs.

emerald
01-11-2010, 18:50
"The State of Vermont closes all trails on state land including those on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield from mid-April until Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas.

Also avoid: Stratton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak"
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

See the linked page for alternate hikes. The places listed are mostly north of The Maine Junction, but mud doesn't mind GMC's website.

10-K
01-12-2010, 09:43
Well, that makes it interesting....

I'm planning on starting at Bear Mt, NY on May 16th... that would put me at the VT/MA line close to but before Memorial Day (May 31 this year).

So.... ??

Lone Wolf
01-12-2010, 09:45
Well, that makes it interesting....

I'm planning on starting at Bear Mt, NY on May 16th... that would put me at the VT/MA line close to but before Memorial Day (May 31 this year).

So.... ??

you'll be in mud the whole way

sasquatch2014
01-12-2010, 10:05
Except for those times when you are on solid rock.

Jeff
01-12-2010, 10:40

10-K,

I did a section in 2005 from Greenwood Lake to North Adams, MA and started April 18th. No mud til Mass.... and Mass is full of bogs and wetlands year round anyway.

Guess it depends on the year. You may luck out!!!!!

10-K
01-12-2010, 12:40

I guess it's better than being at work.... :)