PDA

View Full Version : Can I use MSR Viralstop with Aqua Mira?

Lucinda
09-12-2004, 16:58
I am wondering if it's safe to treat my water with both an antiviral solution ( http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/sweet_viralstop.asp ) together with Aqua Mira?

The MSR solution is supposed to be used with one of their pump filters for a "complete" system (but I don't see why you couldn't use it with any other pump system). I'd rather avoid a pump system altogether and use just drops. Is there any danger in mixing the two solutions, so that I could get protection from both viruses and bacteria? Or is this just overkill (Aqua Mira claims that it may kill SOME viruses).

And what technique do you use to pre-filter your water? I.e. How do you keep the big stuff from getting into your water bag?

orangebug
09-12-2004, 17:25
Bleaches (Chlorine, Iodine or Oxygen based) all kill viruses rapidly. Check with the CDC if you wish to see that there are no recommendations for virus treatment of water in the Continental US. I think you are suggesting to wear both red and yellow suspendors, along with your belt.

If you believe there is a need for water treatment, giardia and crypto are the usual big concerns, at least based on marketing. These require either filtering or prolonged treatment with a bleach.

GI events occur to hikers independently of how/if they treat water. Toilet hygiene and food handling are probably far more important.

Bill...

hustler
09-13-2004, 23:00
Just go with the Aqua-Mira. I saw no one on my 4 1/2 month hike that got sick when they treated with that product. Its a little pricey for thru hiking but it is well worth it. I used the cheap skate method and used house hold bleach (2 drops per quart).

gravityman
09-14-2004, 10:35
Just go with the Aqua-Mira. I saw no one on my 4 1/2 month hike that got sick when they treated with that product. Its a little pricey for thru hiking but it is well worth it. I used the cheap skate method and used house hold bleach (2 drops per quart).

Note : Household bleach is NOT the same chemical as aquamira...

Found this on the Canadian Health Ministry website :

NOTE: Bleach does not work well in killing off beaver fever (Giardia) or Cryptosporidium parasites. The amount of bleach needed to kill these parasites makes the water almost impossible to drink. If beaver fever or Cryptosporidium are in your water, boiling is the best way to ensure safe drinking water.

http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile49b.stm

That should essential put to an end the myth that Bleach can be used to disinfect water...

Gravity Man

bearbait2k4
09-14-2004, 13:29
Just go with aqua mira. It's the most effective chemical treatment, and has the weakest aftertaste.

If you are using drops, like aqua mira, a good way to prefilter is by using a bandana. Keep a bandana just for filtering purposes, and throw it over the mouth of your bottle, or whatever you have for water storage. It may take a bit longer than just dunking, but you have to wait 5 minutes before you can add the aqua mira solution to your water anyway.