PDA

View Full Version : Planning a thru hike

echoes
01-11-2010, 03:06
I'm considering thru hiking the AT this year. I'm wondering if it's possible to plan it in just a few months and leave by April or May. I've heard a lot of people say they spent over a year planning. How much planning is really necessary? Can I just get the guidebooks/maps and hit the trail? I already have all my gear and decent hiking experience (I did a good portion of the Colorado Trail last summer).

Also, what's the latest one should start a NOBO?

el.com
01-11-2010, 04:19
Well, I think it should be possible to plan the hike in a few months, but maybe you have to hurry up. I am planning since May 09 for my thru-hike starting mid march. For me it's a bit harder because I am not U.S. citizen and had to go through the whole visa progress.

So you said you already have all your gear and hiking experience. At least you will need a guide book with all the A.T. data, e.g. the Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion (2010) (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=642&compid=1). Some people say you don't need the maps, other will advise you to carry them. I think you should decide it depending on what's best for yourself whether to carry them or not. With maps you can always take a look at where exactly you are and in an emergency how to get off the trail very quick. I just purchased the first map set (this one: click (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=62&compid=1)). How much I really need them I will realise while I'm hiking. Depending on this, I will decide if I buy more maps or just hike on without them.

And about the start date: I don't know how fast you are hiking, but always consider the opening seasons of the state parks. For example, Baxter State Park is closing on Oct. 15 (see here (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html)).

BrianLe
01-11-2010, 04:33
I've been planning for a while myself; I think it depends on how flexible you are. The issue of resupply drops comes to mind. Are you a person who's okay to sort of "wing it", adjust to things as you go? Then barring specific dietary needs or prescription drug refills or the like, you can do a lot less preparation in this regard.

Another possible issue is how much money you have to spend on the thru-hike. The less planning, the bigger the chance of finding out along the trail that you don't like your specific gear mix; on the AT there are outfitters to allow you to buy alternatives, but it takes $$.

I can't speak to the "latest" date to start; not something I've researched, but it seems to me that it's not too late to do some basic prep for a thru-hike this year, i.e., pick a guide book and get that, consider the map issue, figure out transportation to get onto the trail, pick a starting gear mix, and try to get in some walking/hiking at home for a while before starting out.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2010, 05:53
I'm considering thru hiking the AT this year. I'm wondering if it's possible to plan it in just a few months and leave by April or May. I've heard a lot of people say they spent over a year planning. How much planning is really necessary? Can I just get the guidebooks/maps and hit the trail? I already have all my gear and decent hiking experience (I did a good portion of the Colorado Trail last summer).

yes a few months is all you need. you'll be fine

Spokes
01-11-2010, 07:48
Yes you can! Here's a great article about the AT that offers some fantastic tips.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

I'd suggest scanning www.trailjournals.com and read some journals from last year. It'll give you a good perspective as well. Good luck!

white_russian
01-11-2010, 09:57
For a NOBO you basically need no planning other than taking care of issues in your personal life. All you need to worry about is going the 30 miles from Springer to Neel Gap, 3 days of food usually. Seriously that is all the planning you need. There are places in every town to buy food and outfitters all along the trail to take care of any gear issues.

Blissful
01-11-2010, 11:09
As long as your have the gear, the time and money and the motivation, why not?

You could make it starting May 1, barring any injuries. There could be snow though on Katahdin by Oct 1st.

Ox97GaMe
01-11-2010, 11:10
you can take as long as you want to plan. Quantity of time spent planning doesnt equate to a successful thru hike. There are people every year that spend months or even years thinking/planning their hike that dont make it out of the state of Georgia. There are people (like myself) that only spend a few days or weeks planning and make it all the way. Ive even known of a couple that drove through Neels Gap on their honeymoon, decided to hike the trail, and geared up right there and got a ride to springer. They made it all the way to Maine.

There is such a thing as over analysis. But on the other hand, you want to be prepared for your hike. You need to set/understand the budget, acquire adequate gear, and set up your initial transportation needs. If you already have gear and a reasonable budget set aside, just pick a date and head to the woods.

After that, you will figure it out as you go as most people do. VERY few people stay 100% on plan when doing a long distance hike. There are just too many variables to deal with. Think of the trip as 20-25 consecutive week 5-6 day hiking trips. Establish a plan for the first couple of weeks and you will be fine. There is such a strong support network in place in GA/NC/TN, that you shouldnt have any problems getting into town if you need to alter your plan.

Have a great hike. Maybe I will see you out there.

emerald
01-11-2010, 13:15
For example, Baxter State Park is closing on Oct. 15 (see here (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html)).

Only BSP campgrounds close on October 15. It may be possible to finish after that date as a day hiker, but day hikers must have the ability to wait for suitable weather outside BSP and vehicular support of some kind.

It's not a bad idea to wrap up a hike by the end of September, but that could mean missing the best of the fall color. To include that element in its greatest measure requires swapping out one's summer gear and likely playing a waiting game with the weather which might be lost.

The probability of losing one's opportunity to summit increases as time goes on and one's capacity to wait is reduced by personal time constraints and financial considerations.

emerald
01-11-2010, 13:24
For a quick introduction to AT hike planning and some of the more important points to consider, click on the link.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm)

Spirit Walker
01-11-2010, 13:31
If you are in good shape and have your gear, you can easily leave within the month, if you want to. Biggest issues are dealing with your current home situation. Do you have to give up an apartment and put things in storage? How about work? How much notice do you need to give? There are lots of odd details involved in seperating yourself from your current life. The Thruhiking Papers has a list of some of them at http://spiriteaglehome.com/TH%20faster.html . ) On my first thruhike, I spent about 4 months reading books about the AT and doing physical preparation. I was living at home at the time, so my real prep was just packing up my room and putting everything in the shed out back. I did mail drops on that one, which took a few weeks. On my second thruhike, I quit my job unexpectedly and was on the trail less than a month later. Only two maildrops (Wesser and Fontana) and I had my apartment packed and moved into a storage unit in about two weeks.

As to how late you can start: it depends. My ideal starting time would be mid-April. But if you start in May or June and don't want to push big miles you can always flip to Katahdin and hike south somewhere along your journey. Most people don't want to deal with the uncertain weather of New England in October so they make sure to finish Maine and the Whites before then.

ShelterLeopard
01-11-2010, 13:34
I could've done all this planning in a month, but I've been planning since August just because that's when I started planning. You do need to get and test your gear though, and that can take time. Better start now! Seriously though, you could start March 1st easily. I do suggest buying any gear you need in person, it'll eliminate a lot of time. (Mailing it to you, realizing it doesn't fit, mailing it back, getting a different thing mailed to you, arg.) Good luck.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2010, 13:37
You do need to get and test your gear though,

not really.

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 13:41
not really.

Yea if you are buying the right stuff, no need to test it in the field. I mean when you get stuff, like a stove, def crank it up and make sure it works, but most of your gear should be in working order when you get it

Disney
01-11-2010, 13:44
For a NOBO you basically need no planning other than taking care of issues in your personal life. All you need to worry about is going the 30 miles from Springer to Neel Gap, 3 days of food usually. Seriously that is all the planning you need. There are places in every town to buy food and outfitters all along the trail to take care of any gear issues.

That's absolutely true, once you do have the gear. I was amazed at how meticulously everyone planned out mileage days months in advance. Just get out there and start walking. When you hit town, figure out how long the next town is going to take you, and buy food for that stretch.

Disney
01-11-2010, 13:52
Yea if you are buying the right stuff, no need to test it in the field. I mean when you get stuff, like a stove, def crank it up and make sure it works, but most of your gear should be in working order when you get it

The stove certainly and make sure you actually know how to pitch your tent.

Also:
You MUST know how to tie your own shoelaces.
You HAVE to be able to work zippers by yourself.
You CANNOT put your left boot on your right foot.
You NEVER ask people to carry you piggyback over the mountain.

That's about it. For more nuanced requirements, please refer to Jester's Shelter Etiquette Guide

Durgon
01-11-2010, 13:55
Hi Echoes,

30 days after finding out about the trail, I was on it. I started March 8th and the only thing that I spent my time preparing was my gear list. I would recommend the Appalachian Pages data book. its the best in my opinion. try and target 35ish pounds in packweight (with 3-4 days food and 1.5 liters of water) and they'll shake you down at Neels Gap.

The main thing to consider with your start date is allowing for enough time to finish. The amount of people that I met that had to change their NOBO into a flipflop because of time constraints was surprising (school, jobs, weddings, Baxter closing, etc..). I felt bad for them and it seemed like they would have preferred to do a regular NOBO. I couldn't have imagined leaving the group of people that I met on the way, jumping up to Katadhin and heading south. The buildup to Katadhin ended up with the single best day of my life at the summit with trail comrades. I could have been robbed of that experience if I had an date that I needed to finish by.

Who knows how fast you'll want to move, but I would leave by mid april if you can. hope that helps

-McBride

ShelterLeopard
01-11-2010, 14:32
I always say that you should test your gear (though, you won't die with the Walasi Yi as close as it is), because you need to know how to set it up/use it, if it fits/is comfortable, and if it is warm enough.

Mags
01-11-2010, 15:15
I wrote a Q&D guide to AT planning that may assist:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/A-Quicky-and-Dirty-Guide-to-the-Appalachian-Trail.html

Yea if you are buying the right stuff, no need to test it in the field.

Possibly true. But I'd argue having your gear dialed-in (set up of pack, where certain items go, getting a rhythm of your camp break down and set up each day) is going to make the first two or three weeks of a hike go smoother. Plus if you backpack before you head off on the AT, it is a lot of fun. :)

emerald
01-11-2010, 16:57
35 pounds packweight (with 3-4 days food and 1.5 liters of water) and they'll shake you down at Neels Gap.

One thing I find interesting after all these years is that Jean Stephenson recommended carrying no more than 35 pounds many years ago.

Do your research here, weigh your pack and save your money for when you really need it. If you can't figure it out yourself, sure, there are people who will be willing to figure it out for you. There always are, but they expect to be paid for their trouble when you require instant gratification.

Spokes
01-11-2010, 17:10
not really.

That's sorta like fishing......... you can use anything from a cane pole to dynamite?

I agree with Shlep and Mags on this one.

emerald
01-11-2010, 17:22
One thing I find interesting after all these years is that Jean Stephenson recommended carrying no more than 35 pounds many years ago.

Her advice appears in ATN's Golden Anniversary Issue, January 1989, which includes excerpts from other issues dating back to the 1930s and dedicated to her memory. It's one of the AT classics, right up there with Hiking the Appalachian Trail and Ed Garvey's 1st book.

The article on page 16 about Jean should be converted to a *.pdf and made available on ATC's website as should information about others who made AT history happen.

She's remembered as remarkable, brilliant, and valuable to the Appalachian Trail project. Truly, her accomplishments are legendary.

In addition to her numerous other contributions in behalf of the Appalachian Trail and ATC, Jean Stephenson founded ATN and served as its volunteer editor for a quarter-century.

echoes
01-11-2010, 17:53
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like it's not too late to decide to hike the AT this year.

As for testing my gear, I used all of it on the Colorado Trail last year, so no problems there.

Pootz
01-11-2010, 18:33

GO FOR IT, all you need is the gear, money and the desire. You have plenty of time to get everything together.

As for what is the latest start date that all depends on the miles you are willing and able to do. Your plan should have you finishing by October 1-15 at the latest.

April 1 to October 1 = 180 hiking days or 12 miles per day.
May 1 to October 1 = 150 hiking days or 14.5 miles per day.

A 14.5 miles per day is a very doable average. You should leave some extra days for 0 days in town.

Good Luck