PDA

View Full Version : Cool Breeze Itinerary

Tuney
01-11-2010, 09:21
The ATC web site shows an alternative thru-hike itinerary they call Cool Breeze.
The itinerary breaks the hike in to 3 700+ mile sections to supposedly let you hike in optimum weather conditions on the entire trail. The sections are 1)CT->VA, 2)ME->CT, and finally 3)VA->GA.

I'm wondering if any forum readers have tried it and what their experience was like. On paper it looks like there might be some significant advantages for us older slower hikers with the big disadvantage being the cost and logistics of the double flip.

bulldog49
01-11-2010, 13:36
Can you provide a link? I can't find it on the ATC website.

randyg45
01-11-2010, 13:47
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805565/k.67EA/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

7th alternative...

On a related note, I cannot find anything about an "inside out"- HF to Springer, then HF to Katahdin- which is how I think I might try it if I get the funds up... Start without crowds in relatively gentle terrain in hopefully decent weather, join the pack after it thins out....

Tuney
01-11-2010, 14:21

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805565/k.67EA/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

http://docs.google.com/#folders/folder.0.0B1SiSdgEhiVuNTdhMTUwYjYtMTgxNi00NzFmLWIw OTgtM2QwOGI1ZTQ1MGY1

Here's a link to the ATC itineraries, and one for the PDFs of a set of plans for Cool Breeze that I worked up with the Appalachian Trailmate program.

cwulff
03-08-2010, 02:55
Thanks for providing the guide for the Cool Breeze! This was very helpful.

I had one question though. I'm not sure that I understand why it's set for Connecticut south instead of Virginia north. Wouldn't that be a more comfortable hike to start in April? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
CW

Tuney
03-08-2010, 05:38
...why it's set for Connecticut south instead of Virginia north. Wouldn't that be a more comfortable hike to start in April? Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks,
CW

Not Really, It's something I've been overlooking. My starting position has always been thru-hiking the trail SOBO (i.e Walking home). And I've planned everything going SOBO even my shakedown hikes. I never considered going north from Daleville. Now, I'll be giving it a look, and looking at the weather reports. It would have the advantage of providing a shorter commute to my start point, and may in fact be a better option for an April Start.

One thought about that though is "How much Solitude is enough Solitude", by hiking south from CT wouldn't I be more likely to meet up with the early starters from Springer? If I start at Daleville and hike north, I'll always be ahead of the pack unless some really fast hikers catch up with me.

The first thing that appears, is the daily mileage starting out needs to be adjusted. I don't think I'll be jumping right into 15 - 17 mile days.

Thank you for pointing that out. Sometimes you get so close to the problem you lose sight of the forest.....

warraghiyagey
03-08-2010, 08:06
CoolBreeze is cool. . . :sun

sasquatch2014
03-08-2010, 08:49
Met a few hikers who were basically doing this last year. They went Bear Mt Bridge to Pairsburgh (sp) and then came back up to NY and went north up Mt K then back down to Pairsburgh (sp) and on down to Springer. this way they go a chance to meet some Nobo on the first leg that they then hiked with later on the second leg during which time they were meeting Sobo who then wrapped up with on the 3rd leg.

Trisha
03-10-2010, 07:01
The Cool Breeze and Wraparound make sense, especially since you experience Katahdin and the Whites after black fly season and before icy weather.
I'd think it would be easier to reserve a few days at Abol Bridge or Abol Pines campgrounds or the state park, head up Katahdin on a Class 1 day, then head south with a shuttled food bag at Jo-Mary Road or Katahdin Ironworks Road. Once in Monson it's business as usual, with no food or lodgings worries.

Currently a Greyhound bus ticket from Gainesville, GA to Bangor, ME with 21-day purchase and no discount is under $90.

Check Datto's Tips and Tricks article for mileages. A rough NOBO guide from that is:

Springer Mt, GA to Nantahala Outdoor Center (Wesser, NC) = 135.0 m = 8 to 10 mpd = 14 to 17 days
NOC to Waynesboro, VA (southern terminus, SNP) = 717.5 m = 10 to 12 mpd = 60 to 72 days
Waynesboro, VA to CT / MA state line = 643.5 m = 14 to 16 mpd = 40 to 46 days
CT / MA state line to Glencliff, NH (southern terminus, White Mts) = 283.8 m = 12 to 14 mpd = 21 to 24 days
Glencliff, NH to Gorham, NH (White Mountains) = 100.6 m = 5 to 8 mpd = 12 to 20 days
Gorham, NH to Rangeley, ME = 77.8 m = 8 to 10 mpd = 8 to 10 days
Rangeley, ME to Katahdin (includes 100 Mile Wliderness) = 220.1 m = 10 to 12 mpd = 18 to 22 days

Good luck!

Tuney
03-10-2010, 12:58
Thanks for the Input.

The current plan is to stop in Millenocket ad Paul Renaud's place, get droped at Baxter in time to do the day hike of Katahdin, and finish the day at Abol Bridge.

I'm planning to do short term resupply at Abol Bridge, and White House Landing.

By the time I get there at the begining of July, I should be in pretty good condition from being on the trail a little more than 2 months hiking from Daleville VA to Kent, CT. :sun