PDA

View Full Version : Swatara Gap

Pole Climber
09-12-2004, 17:46
I'm doing a section hike in PA in October. I want to park at Swatara Gap PA 72. Has there been any vandalism reported there recently? How much parking is there?
Pole Climber

Palmer
09-12-2004, 18:19
Don't know of any recent vandalism. There's a small parking lot just off Rt. 72 where I've left a car for a couple of nights with no bad consequences. They found a dead guy in a car there a few years ago, but I think the murder took place elsewhere.

Lugnut
09-13-2004, 00:29
Well Mike, that ought to make you feel better! :banana

c.coyle
09-13-2004, 06:47
I'm doing a section hike in PA in October. I want to park at Swatara Gap PA 72. Has there been any vandalism reported there recently? How much parking is there?
Pole Climber

There's parking on Old State Road, for 8 to 10 cars. This is at the trail north end of the Iron Bridge (far end from 72) over Swatara Creek. The AT goes over the bridge. I haven't heard of any vandalism in years.

They are putting up a new I-81 bridge over the gap just downstream. Not very scenic this year, but it won't cause you any problems.

For all practical purposes, there's no parking on 72 where the AT crosses Swatara Creek.

You can also park about a mile away (trail south) on Route 443, just off 72, at a Game Commission lot.

Crash
09-13-2004, 08:12
Are you going Nobo or sobo?

Steve W
09-13-2004, 14:37
I parked at the above mentioned lot on the corner of 443 and 72 for a few days two weeks ago and there were no problems.

Pole Climber
09-13-2004, 20:50
Are you going Nobo or sobo?Will be hiking between PA 225 and PA 183, Probably will hike part North and part South. Plan to start on Oct. 24 at PA 225. There will be at least two of us from Ohio. Always room for one more.
Pole Climber

:welcome

Crash
09-15-2004, 23:15
I've done that section before but I really liked the St Anthony Wilderness and Rausch gap shelter. mmmmmmmmmmm may have to do it again.

Toolshed
09-16-2004, 13:43
I parked my car in the small AT lot back on Rte 443 just before the Rte 72 intersection in November-03, again in December-03 and then around March of this year.
I decided not to leave my car there overnight due to the amount of broken window glass that was there in both November and December.

I didn't see any new glass on the ground during my march visit, but I would advise anyone to park on the wide pulloff on Rte 72 right where it joins Rte 443 (There is a state land gated road here as well). The pullout is on the Eastside of the road and about 200 yards long and about 40 yards wide.
Many folks park there to bike into Swatara Park.

C.Coyle - Are you saying that this pulloff is now closed?

c.coyle
09-16-2004, 15:25
... I would advise anyone to park on the wide pulloff on Rte 72 right where it joins Rte 443 (There is a state land gated road here as well). The pullout is on the Eastside of the road and about 200 yards long and about 40 yards wide.
Many folks park there to bike into Swatara Park.

C.Coyle - Are you saying that this pulloff is now closed?

No. Your suggestion is a good one. When I said no parking on 72, I was referring to the area right at the iron bridge, where the AT crosses Swatara Creek, not the pulloff I think you're referring to, which is roughly a mile road - north (trail south) on 72. I completely forgot about that. It's probably a better choice than the GC lot at 443 if you're parking overnight.