PDA

View Full Version : ULA Production halt?

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 10:29
Heard that ULA is pretty much at a halt. The circuit are not being made and ULA is not producing any packs. I know someone bought the company but 2 people at AT outfitters are saying the company is not producing any packs. Anyone got any info on this right now? Im thinking of buying a ULA but if they are going to be around in 6 months no reason to get one of their packs.

Hooch
01-11-2010, 10:32
Just give 'em a call, they'll let you know what's up. 435.753.5191

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 10:33
Just give 'em a call, they'll let you know what's up. 435.753.5191

Just heard that the guy is sick or something

jombo22
01-11-2010, 10:34
Oh no! I hadn't heard about any of this. I was planning to buy ULA for my next pack. I hope I didn't miss the boat :datz

jombo22
01-11-2010, 10:35
Or if they are going to continue making packs under the new ownership, maybe I should buy NOW before they go the way of Go-Lite...

Hooch
01-11-2010, 10:38
Just heard that the guy is sick or somethingI heard he still knows how to answer the phone. Just sayin'. :rolleyes::D

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 10:44
I heard he still knows how to answer the phone. Just sayin'. :rolleyes::D

Just called not realizing its early as hell.

I heard from one outfitter that the Circuit is not going to be made anymore.

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 10:48
Or if they are going to continue making packs under the new ownership, maybe I should buy NOW before they go the way of Go-Lite...

It seems that the quality has gotten better. The 2010 edition of the Circuit is supposed to be great, from what people are telling me

coldspring
01-11-2010, 10:53
I noticed the prices have went UP!

Hooch
01-11-2010, 10:59
Just called not realizing its early as hell.

I heard from one outfitter that the Circuit is not going to be made anymore.

It seems that the quality has gotten better. The 2010 edition of the Circuit is supposed to be great, from what people are telling me
I'm wanting one of those babies too. I'll give the nice folks out in the other time zone a call a little later on and find out what's up.

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 11:05
I'm wanting one of those babies too. I'll give the nice folks out in the other time zone a call a little later on and find out what's up.

I did talk to Jeff at MRO and they have some (Circuits) as well. Bluff Mountain and Mountain Crossings only have the Catalyst.

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 11:14
The guy at ULA just called back and there is nothing going on. I posted this because I had 2 outfitters tell me the same thing so I came here. Not trying to start trouble just trying to get info.

He said I was the second person on the east coast to call him about this.

Go get your ULA's everyone

coldspring
01-11-2010, 11:20
The guy at ULA just called back and there is nothing going on. I posted this because I had 2 outfitters tell me the same thing so I came here. Not trying to start trouble just trying to get info.

Go get your ULA's everyone

I read this on TMZ last week. They can deny the rumors, but you know it must be true.

Hooch
01-11-2010, 11:21

Go get your ULA's everyoneYay! It's ULA time! :banana

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 11:55
Yay! It's ULA time! :banana

When are you getting yours?

Hooch
01-11-2010, 12:00
I dunno, when are you ordering yours?

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 12:04
I dunno, when are you ordering yours?

I found a used one but may get Wak's Thursday. If I could I would order one today

Hooch
01-11-2010, 12:10
I'll probably order mine before Spring arrives. Won't really need it til then anyway. I'd like to have it for the April Fools hike if at all possible. If not, then I'm cool carrying my Catalyst til I get it. Either way, it's all good. :D

Yukon
01-11-2010, 12:15
I love my Gregory Baltoro but have thought about giving a ULA a try because of all the good things I have heard about them...

Raul Perez
01-11-2010, 12:45
I ordered mine 12/31 to ring in the new year. Still waiting on the shipment.... I hope it comes soon I'm really excited about it.

Raul Perez
01-11-2010, 12:46
circuit that is

Rcarver
01-11-2010, 12:56
The Circuit is the best fitting pack I have ever carried.

Raul Perez
01-11-2010, 14:51
just received confirmation that my Circuit has shipped from ULA. Another confirmation that there is NO production halt.

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 15:17
just received confirmation that my Circuit has shipped from ULA. Another confirmation that there is NO production halt.

Sweet. i just scored one on bpl for $145!!!

Hooch
01-11-2010, 15:28
Sweet. i just scored one on bpl for $145!!!
Cool deal! That one for you or Wak?

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 15:31
Cool deal! That one for you or Wak?

Probably me. We will probably have to get her a small. Did get her a new sleeping bag from rei clearance today with our gift cards from Xmas

Franco
01-11-2010, 17:58
Hear are some facts...
http://hikinginfinland.blogspot.com/2009/11/interview-chris-mcmaster-from-ula.html (http://hikinginfinland.blogspot.com/2009/11/interview-chris-mcmaster-from-ula.html)
Interview with the new ULA owners.
Franco

Hooch
01-11-2010, 21:38
I noticed the prices have went UP!ULA's prices did go up and I found out why. They made all pack options (water bottle holders, hand loops, hyration pouch, internal mesh pocket, etc.) standard features on all ULA packs. They raised prices a little to compensate for this. The announcement is on their homepage.

Chaco Taco
01-11-2010, 22:15
ULA's prices did go up and I found out why. They made all pack options (water bottle holders, hand loops, hyration pouch, internal mesh pocket, etc.) standard features on all ULA packs. They raised prices a little to compensate for this. The announcement is on their homepage.

Cant wait for mine to get here:banana

Hooch
01-11-2010, 22:16
Cant wait for mine to get here:bananaRub it in, tard. :p

skinewmexico
01-12-2010, 01:26
They were closing out 2008 Catalysts in size small at a really good price.

Sly
01-12-2010, 06:09
Hear are some facts...
http://hikinginfinland.blogspot.com/2009/11/interview-chris-mcmaster-from-ula.html (http://hikinginfinland.blogspot.com/2009/11/interview-chris-mcmaster-from-ula.html)
Interview with the new ULA owners.
Franco

Brian sold the business. Didn't know that....

I have never sewn anything larger than a button.

Cringe...

Doooglas
01-12-2010, 08:01
It's nice to see a good ole boy bought it.
As a mountaineer I betcha he comes up with some killer gear.

Normally a business like that gets sucked up by the big boyz and everything goes to crap..

Yukon
01-12-2010, 08:40
Who here has the catalyst? That's the one I'm thinking about trying out. Are they as durable as the Gregory Packs? That's one of my biggest peeves...

Raul Perez
01-12-2010, 10:01
Sly based on the article all the individuals who did the sewing are retained by the new owners. I'm ok with the fact that he cant sew as long as the people who have been sewing the packs with Brian are still doing the job.

Hooch
01-12-2010, 10:10
Who here has the catalyst? That's the one I'm thinking about trying out. Are they as durable as the Gregory Packs? That's one of my biggest peeves...I've got a Catalyst. I can't compare it to a Gregory pack because I've never owned one. My girlfriend has a Gregory pack and loves it. I can, however, say that my Catalyst is a great pack, holds up to all that I give it and I'm planning on buying another ULA pack soon. :D

Red Beard
01-12-2010, 11:06
@ Hooch, thanks for the explanation on the prices going up. After I looked at an archived version of the old ULA page, it's clear that I was going to get most of what's considered standard on a circuit now, anyway. If you look at it from an economists' standpoint, the prices didn't really go up. I've heard great things about ULA, time to ditch the o'l Gregory Lassen, and test out the new ULA Circuit.

jombo22
01-12-2010, 11:50
Sly based on the article all the individuals who did the sewing are retained by the new owners. I'm ok with the fact that he cant sew as long as the people who have been sewing the packs with Brian are still doing the job.

The article also mentioned that Brian is "taking some time off", but hopefully he continues to be a driving creative force there. Heck, maybe they will be better off this way, because Brian will be able to spend all his time out testing gear and coming up with new innovations instead of worrying about the business side of things.

ulachris
01-12-2010, 11:52
Hey folks I don't know where this rumor started, but we are producing more packs than ever / every pack in every size is in stock, and orders are generally filled the day they come in. At this point, other than through our website, we only sell through a couple of retailers, Down Works in Santa Cruz, Mt Rogers in VA and Mountain Crossings in GA, they should all have packs in stock, or could get them in a week or so// Hope this clears things up //Chris McMaster Owner// ULA

Hooch
01-12-2010, 11:59
:welcome to WhiteBlaze, Chris. Nice to see you here. It looks like you are carrying on the fine tradition started by Brian of making great packs for hikers and some of the best customer service in the business. Looking forward to buying my Circuit soon! :D Are we going to see ULA at Trail Days this year? :-?

Doctari
01-12-2010, 12:26
Hey folks I don't know where this rumor started, but we are producing more packs than ever / every pack in every size is in stock, and orders are generally filled the day they come in. At this point, other than through our website, we only sell through a couple of retailers, Down Works in Santa Cruz, Mt Rogers in VA and Mountain Crossings in GA, they should all have packs in stock, or could get them in a week or so// Hope this clears things up //Chris McMaster Owner// ULA

Welcome aboard Chris! I suspect that making the more popular optional items standard features is a good move. My Ohm has the "Optional" hip belt pockets, & I can't imagine taking them off, or even not having them, so: Way to go.

SGT Rock
01-12-2010, 12:29

Cool to know. I got one of the ULA packs this year and love it.

Hooch
01-12-2010, 12:30
I got one of the ULA packs this year and love it.And it loves you. :rolleyes::D

SGT Rock
01-12-2010, 12:31
It hugs me all the time.

Hooch
01-12-2010, 12:33
I named mine Cindy, after my first ex-wife. That bitch was always on my back, too. :banana

SGT Rock
01-12-2010, 12:34
I named mine Cindy, after my first ex-wife. That bitch was always on my back, too. :banana

Good one :sun

Ewker
01-12-2010, 13:02
never ever seen one so no judgements can be made if they are good or bad packs

Chaco Taco
01-12-2010, 21:01
Waiting on ours. Looking forward to receiving it and ordering a new one for Wakapak

skinewmexico
01-13-2010, 01:19
Who here has the catalyst? That's the one I'm thinking about trying out. Are they as durable as the Gregory Packs? That's one of my biggest peeves...

Never had a Gregory, but my Catalyst and Circuit seem more than durable. And I've never seen the owner of Gregory post on here.

Yukon
01-13-2010, 09:44
While the owner of ULA posting on here is definitely cool, and I give him props for it, it's not a pre-requisite for making a durable pack. I really would like to try out a Catalyst, I just can't bring myself to shell out the $250 when I like my Gregory pack so much. But hearing how many people like the ULA packs leaves me wanting to try one so I might have to at some point just to satisfy my own curiosity. Worse that could happen is I don't like it and I sell it.

schnikel
01-13-2010, 09:53
I bet you could sell a used ULA pack on this site in 5 minutes flat.

Marta
01-13-2010, 13:31

Yeah, this site is where I bought my Conduit a couple of years ago.

AUhiker90
01-16-2010, 21:19
Sent my conduit in a few weeks ago and the new folks up ther are very nice but Bryan is the one that really helped me with my selection and sold me on his awesome products. I hope that only the ownership has changed and the products will stay on their same path as bryan had them and that Bryan will still give thoughts and new suggestions to the product line in the future

schnikel
01-16-2010, 21:44

Used ULA Catalyst for sale right now on Trailjournals.
Just an FYI for anyone looking.
Schnikel

TwoForty
01-17-2010, 18:01
While the owner of ULA posting on here is definitely cool, and I give him props for it, it's not a pre-requisite for making a durable pack. I really would like to try out a Catalyst, I just can't bring myself to shell out the $250 when I like my Gregory pack so much. But hearing how many people like the ULA packs leaves me wanting to try one so I might have to at some point just to satisfy my own curiosity. Worse that could happen is I don't like it and I sell it.

Depends on what Gregory. I have straight up abused my 2003 Gregory Shasta and it doesn't have no much as a scratch. That's the problem, as I don't need a pack that durable anymore so I don't want to carry all that weight. My 2006 Catalyst has some holes, ripped seams, and abrasions, but nothing major. I would say it hasn't even reached it's halfway point in life and I have used it a whole lot. It'll probably be discontinued by the time I want to replace it.

In the end it's only a backpack. If you like your Gregory, keep it. You shouldn't try to make a ULA fit if it's not the pack for you, just because everyone else says great things about theirs.

Chaco Taco
01-17-2010, 18:20

Lets see what happens. Just put one up on the gear forum.

peakbagger
01-22-2010, 14:07
I ordered a pack last evening From ULA with some custom modifications and they shipped it this morning.

Assuming it shows up in a few days, I am impressed!

srestrepo
01-22-2010, 16:55
the ULA sale is a safe bet, but the resale value on a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock... nothing better than that...

Chaco Taco
01-22-2010, 19:52

Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs was carrying this pack and has a couple of them in stock but they seem to think the same that I thought a few weeks ago. I told them that Chris was producing packs.