PDA

View Full Version : What kind of sleeping bag should i get for a thru hike

hikerboy4211
01-11-2010, 12:03
I am planning a 2011 thru hike and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about sleeping bags? What should it be rated for?

Pacific Tortuga
01-11-2010, 12:11
The best you can afford. Are you a cold or warm sleeper ? When are you leaving ? There are so many more questions you need to ask yourself.

Kelty Light Year has a mid-priced with a few temp ranges and a fill option.

2011, will give you plenty of time to figure that out and hopefully at a great price.

bigcranky
01-11-2010, 12:13
northbound or southbound? when do you plan to start? what shelter and pad will you use?

For a March 1 nobo start, a good 15-F bag should suffice, though you'll likely need to wear a lot of clothing to bed on the colder nights. For a January 1 start, you'll need a warmer bag (duh.) For a May 1 nobo start, a 30-F bag is fine.

wudhipy
01-11-2010, 12:18
:-?I'm starting out with a zero....switching out to a 40....back to the zero toward the end.

Ender
01-11-2010, 12:46
There's a lot of room in the question for personal preferences and sleeping habits, but here's what I would suggest...

First, get the best bag you can. It's worth the money and will last you for years. Second, get down... it's lighter, breathes better, lasts longer, and takes only minimal care to keep dry (like, keep it inside your backpack, in a garbage bag, and don't sleep outside of your tent in a rainstorm, and you'll be fine). Third, if you're only going to buy one bag (like most people), get a 20* bag. If you're going to buy 2 bags, get a 10-20* bag, and a 40* bag.

Manufacturers to check out, in order of (my) preference:
Western Mountaineering (top notch bags)
Feathered Friends
Marmot
REI
Campmor (for the budget minded... it's a hell of a bag for the price)

That's really about it. Hope this helps.

garlic08
01-11-2010, 14:35
I started NOBO in April and really needed my Marmot Helium 15 a few nights. But if I had a crappy bag, I could have always bailed out to towns, too. I think the extra money that would have cost paid for the extra cost of the excellent sleeping bag.

Many hikers use two bags over the course of a thru hike. I swapped to a Mountain Hardwear Phanton 45 in May and that worked fine for the rest of the hike, which ended in July.

I already had the Helium and bought the Phantom for the hike and sold it afterwards. Still have the Helium, it's my favorite piece of gear ever. It's way too warm for summer on the AT, though.

I agree that the Campmor 20 down bag is a good value and is probably good enough for the whole hike if you're on a budget.

double d
01-11-2010, 14:43
While I've never thru hiked, I do section hike the AT and other trails and I would also recommend the Campmor 20 degree bag. Its lightweight down (550, not the best, but very good), its got a great price ($130 for the long bag, which I suggest if your over 5'10") and its just a good, all around bag, although I would not suggest it for very cold nights (below 10 degrees).

mountain squid
01-11-2010, 18:09
Since your planning for 2011, I suggest going to Mountain Crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/about-us.aspx) at Neels Gap this year while the hikers are coming through. Pick a weekend in Mar/early Apr and head out. You'll meet alot of hikers and will be able to see what they are carrying (including sleeping bags and other gear). You'll also get to talk with a very knowledgeable staff.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Jim Adams
01-12-2010, 01:00
:-?I'm starting out with a zero....switching out to a 40....back to the zero toward the end.
Smart way to do it. You will be comfortable the entire trip.:cool:

geek

YoungMoose
01-12-2010, 09:37
You should get a 10* bag at the beginning and a 40* bag for the spring. IF you are going northbound.

hikerboy4211
01-12-2010, 10:15
i am going nobo starting in march im kind of a cold sleeper

GeneralLee10
01-12-2010, 10:25
I have a WM Alder MF, I think it is rated at 25deg. I have had it in cooler temps than that and I was fine that is me though. Mite I add I had clothing on to.

Ender
01-12-2010, 10:43
i am going nobo starting in march im kind of a cold sleeper

Another thing you may want to consider, is also using a silk liner with your bag. In the cold weather, it adds a small amount of extra heat. In hot weather, you can use just the liner as a sheet. Also, the liner keeps you from sticking to the fabric of your bag if you aren't sleeping in clothes. Not everyone likes them, but I swear by them. The extra level of comfort they provide, especially in the hot weather, is worth the extra few ounces for me.

buz
01-13-2010, 09:56
Or if not a liner, sleeping clothes, like silk tops and bottoms. I can't use a liner, have tried, because I flip/flop side sleep. But I carry silk jammies, same principal, love them. If you are cold sleeper, I would go with good 10-15 degree bag, down, depending on when in march you start. If you start late march, good 20 bag is probably fine. Spend good money on your bag, you won't regret it.