PDA

View Full Version : Insoles in your hiking boots?

grrickar
09-12-2004, 19:20
Anyone have any recommendations on insoles for hiking boots? The Dr. Scholls gel inserts look to be comfortable. My boots are at least 3 years old, and I would guess that the insoles that came from the factory have lost their spring.

Brushy Sage
09-12-2004, 19:26
I have tried several brands, and I always wind up with Superfeet.

Tripod
09-12-2004, 20:08
Try Soles brand insoles. There not cheep but they are excellent. Heat them up to 200 degrees in the oven then put them in your boots. Put your boots on and the insoles mold to the bottom of your feet. Custom foot beds in 5 minutes.

Superfeet are good but IMHO "Soles" are better.

NotYet
09-12-2004, 20:09
I'm a huge fan of Superfeet, too. Being thin and rigid, they don't look like they're going to be comfortable..but they are. They make a tremendous difference on how well my feet hold up during a long hike!!!!

Alligator
09-12-2004, 20:39
Try Soles brand insoles. There not cheep but they are excellent. Heat them up to 200 degrees in the oven then put them in your boots. Put your boots on and the insoles mold to the bottom of your feet. Custom foot beds in 5 minutes.

Superfeet are good but IMHO "Soles" are better.Got a link to those or a general price? I think Superfeet also makes a similar product, one that can be custom molded. The ones I saw were $90.00.

Tripod
09-12-2004, 20:55
Google search says:

http://www.yoursole.com/home.htm

I think I paid around $40 at the local outfitters. You can't find them at a discount store like Wal-Mart. (At least I haven't seen them there)

The outfitter I use carries both Soles and Superfeet. They say that anyone who has used Soles never go back! Superfeet may have a similar product. If so they are probably similar. It's been a while since I purchased mine.

I wear mine every day at work in a pair of Lowa gortex hiking shoes. When you include a good pair of socks there are no more tired feet at the end of the day.

Good luck

Footslogger
09-13-2004, 16:48
Brand probably isn't as important as the design. A good footbed isn't necesarily the most comfortable ...at least right away. The key to a good footbed is heel stabilization (unless you're walking on your tip-toes). Your entire stride is based on the heel plant. If your heel "wobbles" when it hits the ground there's a pretty decent chance that you're not going to get through the hike without foot pain/fatigue. As an example, the reason "SuperFeet" work well (for most hikers) is that they "capture" the heel and hold it still as you begin your stride. On the contrary, footbeds (or inserts) that focus on softness and comfort allow the heel to move around. If you add a little extra room in the heel of your boot/shoe to the equation it's easy to see why foot pain/fatique is the result.

We were born with all the "padding" we need on the bottom side of the foot. Adding a sponge type insole may feel comfortable at first but it's not really doing much for your stance or gait under hiking conditions. In fact, most of the softer insoles actually flatten out completely under your normal weight when hiking.

I'm not saying that soft is all bad. If you have a bruise or plantar condition that requires extra padding then something on the softer side might be the right answer. But in general, a firm footbed and captures and holds the heel in place is the better way to go.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jaybird
09-13-2004, 17:03
Anyone have any recommendations on insoles for hiking boots? etcetcetc..........................

i've tried several Dr.Scholl's inserts, even the gel inserts, but nothing is (@ least for me) as good as the SuperFeet.
check your local outfitter store.

good luck with your hike :D

Peaks
09-13-2004, 17:43
I'm a huge fan of Superfeet, too. Being thin and rigid, they don't look like they're going to be comfortable..but they are. They make a tremendous difference on how well my feet hold up during a long hike!!!!

For me, I hiked 1/2 the trail without a footbed, just the insole that came with the boot. When I finished, my feet were so tender that I didn't know if they were ever going to feel right again. The next spring, after buying Superfeet, I went back and hiked the other 1/2. No knee problems. No foot problems. And after finishing, I was running local road races within a week, and doing quite well. So, they certainly worked for me.

Alligator
09-13-2004, 17:49
Thanks for the info and link Tripod, the price is reasonable and I will definitely consider these for my next footware replacement.

Crazy_Al
09-13-2004, 21:32
I have been using corrective insoles for many years.
I have pain in the big toe joints when I do a lot of walking or running WITHOUT corrective insoles. Arch supports relieve this problem.
PowerStep is what doctors frequently recommend for minor problems.
I used PowerStep for several years, but they do not seem to do the job any more. I have switched to prescription orthotic and they relieve the pain.

Arch supports are a very mechanical oriented solution to transferring stress from one point (the over worked joint) to another point.

Chip
09-13-2004, 22:00
Have been using Superfeet for 5 years now, two pairs in two different pairs of boots. These have worked well for me. You might want to try them out. ;)

hustler
09-13-2004, 23:06
I had a pair of superfeet and hiked from Erwin to NY in them. I ended up getting chin splints in them and sent them home. They might not have been 100% of the problem but I believe they contributed. I still ware them in a pair of shoes at home and like them. Every piece of gear has pros and cons, weight them and make your own choice.

NotYet
09-14-2004, 10:16
Everyone is different...I think that my Superfeet have helped alleviate my shin splints (in fact that was why I first bought them!).

sloetoe
09-14-2004, 21:43
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/dept_id.L2~347/qx/prod_list_display.htm

I happened upon the blue ones at Trail Days, having shyed away from SuperFeet and others.

JUST what the doctor ordered. The url above has them at half price -- I would HAPPILY pay twice again (and more) should replacement be needed. BTW, went hundreds of miles this summer, rugged and plenty wet, and the insoles are looking great.

Marlton
01-13-2006, 14:50
The most comfortable insoles
www.shockblockers.com

jackiebolen
01-13-2006, 15:13
Superfeet are where it's at! I had severe knee and hip pain at the beginning of my hike, got Superfeet and was pretty much good to go from then on. Still a bit of pain but nothing like the beginning.

betic4lyf
01-13-2006, 19:30
dont know about aftermarket, but the ones that came with my masai's rock my socks. about the cushioning thing, we don't really have enough cushioning to walk heal toe. studies have shown that we doe have enough for running, but only if we run midfoot to the balls of our feet.

swift
01-14-2006, 00:33
Sole Custom Footbeds

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2006, 06:37
Another Superfeet fan. I have had severe ortho injuries and add a thin gel insole (Dr scholls) over my Superfeet for comfort/ shock reduction. The combo works well for me, but may be overkill for most of the 'youngsters' here.