PDA

View Full Version : What would....

GeneralLee10
01-11-2010, 14:31
For the folks that have Thru Hiked the AT. What would you not do again if you were to hike it once more? Like logistics,shelters,camp more,no hostel etc. And why would you not do it on your next hike? Thanks for the input.:)

Lone Wolf
01-11-2010, 14:46
i would not go northbound

garlic08
01-11-2010, 14:53
Yep, SOBO for sure, or maybe a yo-yo attempt.

Spirit Walker
01-11-2010, 18:17
Fewer shelters. On my first thru I used shelters most of the time. On the second one I used them when it was really cold or rainy, but camped as much as possible. The next time I would use them even less - I think. They are so tempting when the weather is bad. Plus you get a chance to know the other hikers - much more so than if you are camping seperately. But I hate shelters. Noisy, dirty, mouse ridden and they force some strange mileage on hikers who rely on them (too far or not far enough.)

Disney
01-11-2010, 18:59
Camp more. I'm certainly not a purist now, and I wasn't then, I'd be even less of one the second time around. I'd lower the weight to enjoy the days more. I'd still carry my Mp3 CD player. Instead of trying to write in my journal in the evening, I'd write it at lunch. Have two sleeping bags. One cold weather, one small and light.

Less alcohol off trail. Carry a little whiskey and vermouth in plastic bottles to make Manhattans every once in a while on trail.

Number 1 thing (which most people would agree with): More Zero Days On The Trail.
Plenty of people take zero days in town. Take a few at the beautiful spots on the trail.

Durgon
01-11-2010, 19:52
Honestly, I wouldn't follow any advice on the hike aside from the basics and gear choices. Decide what you want to do while out on the trail.

I do have to disagree on the SOBO thing though. You have an opportunity to meet tons of great people while going NOBO. Unless you're really into the solitude aspect of things I would go NOBO for your first through hike. If you want peace and quiet NOBO start a little earlier or change your pace a bit to allow any annoyances to fall behind or get ahead.

Just my opinion

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2010, 20:23
If you look at the "Articles" index on the front page of this of this website, you'll find a section called Hiker Advice, and there's a piece there entitled "Suggestions of Things to do Differently".

You might find this worthwhile reading.

Spokes
01-11-2010, 20:29
I'd do less maildrops and take more pictures of thru's eating greasy cheeseburgers and raising a glass.

Yo Ho, Yo Ho A thru hikers life for me!

Spokes
01-11-2010, 20:31
If you look at the "Articles" index on the front page of this of this website, you'll find a section called Hiker Advice, and there's a piece there entitled "Suggestions of Things to do Differently".

You might find this worthwhile reading.

YIKES! I got a "Page 404 Error" at that link Jack.

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2010, 20:34
Try this:

Click on "Home" section of Whiteblaze.

You'll immediately see a list of stored Articles.

Click on "Hiker Advice".

You'll see a list of Articles.

Click on "Suggestion of Things to do Differently".

This should work just fine.

Tagless
01-11-2010, 20:51
We've discussed this question. There is not a lot that Tag-along and I would do differently. We're very happy with our hike overall. Having said this, two things come to mind...

Food mail drops would be fewer - more limited to "hard to get" meal ingredients such as Nido Instant Milk and Muscle Milk Protein Powder.

Hiking the AT a second time could be more relaxed. Apprehension about not being able to go the distance would be less of a concern. No doubt we'd take more time to enjoy more views.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2010, 20:55
I do have to disagree on the SOBO thing though. You have an opportunity to meet tons of great people while going NOBO.

so what year did you hike SOBO?

Blissful
01-11-2010, 23:35
Not do as many mail drops. Only what is needed

Enjoy the scenery more

McBride
01-12-2010, 00:08
so what year did you hike SOBO?

Hi Lone Wolf,

That was me with my old account, I signed into it absentmindedly.

I didn't meat to imply that I hiked SOBO. I did a NOBO this year and it seemed to me that unless a person is really comfortable with the idea of extended solitude the SOBO route could be harder to get over the hump with (i.e. not quitting). Just an opinion. I would consider it for a second thru hike but the majority of people might have a better chance of sticking it out headed NOBO. A bit more social support, more trail magic events and such for morale.

-McBride

McBride
01-12-2010, 00:09
Also my opinion is based upon talking to a bunch of SOBOs so I'm not trying to justify it out of thin air. Just a thought on how I saw it.

Monkeywrench
01-12-2010, 22:34
For the folks that have Thru Hiked the AT. What would you not do again if you were to hike it once more? Like logistics,shelters,camp more,no hostel etc. And why would you not do it on your next hike? Thanks for the input.:)

I would learn all of the lyrics to at least one song. On my thru I spent whole days singing the one or two lines of a song that I knew. It was amazingly frustrating at times.