PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering in National Parks

pattydivins
01-11-2010, 14:31
I am graduating college this spring and I am taking a year off before I enter med-school to do a little bit of traveling to experience different parts of the USA. I recently came upon the idea of applying to work as a volunteer in some national parks, so far I have filled out an application for Haleakala National Park in Hawai'i.

Has anyone ever spent time volunteering for an extended period of time at a national park? If so, what were your experiences like? :cool:

YoungMoose
01-11-2010, 17:36
I spent a month of a backcountry trail crew in yellowstone. It was the best thing of my life. I did it through a program called thesca.org you can be a field instructor. They get paid 2k per month in the field. Also you can be a intern. I suggest going throug sca because they know their ways into the spots you want to get to.

booger
01-11-2010, 18:15
"Has anyone ever spent time volunteering for an extended period of time at a national park? If so, what were your experiences like?"

For the last 10 years I have spent 2 weeks/year doing restoration work at Mammoth Cave National Park. I have found my experience rewarding even though the work involves dealing with a government bureaucracy. The employees are great and I have a great time. I know the "full time" volunteers get some kind of small per diem and on site housing, and their season lasts about 3-4 months. Good luck

weary
01-12-2010, 10:06
Most of the AT in Maine is on national park lands. so most Maine trail maintainers are National Park volunteers. We get a silver plaque after 25 years. I'd have to last another 15 years (very doubtful) to qualify for a 50 year citation.

Red Hat
01-12-2010, 10:10
My husband and I volunteered at a Civil War national site. We got a free RV space in return for our hours. It was great! Unfortunately, most of the time they are looking for couples, because they get twice as much work that way.

Tennessee Viking
01-12-2010, 10:34
Student Conservation Association is really nice. They have host internships for specific fields. Then outdoor and conservation work. You can be placed from state park to National park/forest.

ATC also has their trail crew program.

Some of the larger parks with elaborate facilities (ex. Yellowstone) also bring in college students during the peak seasons to work the shops and eateries.

Ox97GaMe
01-12-2010, 12:13
Ive done a couple of 2 week work trips on the CDT. They were pretty nice. I tried to get onto a crew for Mesa Verde National Park last summer, but didnt get selected. This summer I may be on a crew in Smoky Mountain National Park.

Everyone I have talked to that has done a summer work crew has loved the experience. You get to see a lot of the park you are working in, and because you are working with park rangers, you get the inside scoop about where to find the little known treasures during your days off.

modiyooch
01-12-2010, 20:59
I have friends that are retired. I think that they sold their house. They volunteer at National Parks for stay with their camper. They dodge winter by volunteering at Big Bend and Death Valley. They have also had the pleasure of volunteering at Yosemite. I'm not sure if they receive compensation in addition to the lodging.

Digger'02
01-13-2010, 11:35
the entire AT is a unit of the National Park System. Do a week in the smokies on the SWEAT Crew and see how you like it.

mudhead
01-13-2010, 11:40
Everyone I have talked to that has done a summer work crew has loved the experience. You get to see a lot of the park you are working in, and because you are working with park rangers, you get the inside scoop about where to find the little known treasures during your days off.

There is the jackpot answer.:)

ki0eh
01-13-2010, 11:44
PA's Keystone Trails Association has week-long Trail Crews where food and camping space are provided. Unlike some other programs the volunteers are not charged for the privilege of offering free labor. This year the program is offered four consecutive weeks in June. http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=37