PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Pa/NJ Winter Car Camping

wilSwim
01-11-2010, 14:56
Looking for a campsite with scenary to car camp.

We are wanting to drive up to the site and unload.

We would also like it to be near a 6 to 8 mile loop hike.

Thanks
wilswim

STEVEM
01-11-2010, 16:04
You might want to consider Stokes State Forest. Some campsites are available in the winter, but I'd recommend renting a lean-to. They're enclosed on four sides and have woodburning stoves kind of like a heated chicken coop. There are several loop hikes that you could plan including parts of the AT. Right now the snow in this area is about 3-4 inches.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/stokes.html

saimyoji
01-11-2010, 16:55
i highly recommend World's End SP or Rickett's Glen SP. Both are great in the winter and great in a different way in the summer. Another good place is Promised Land SP.

sasquatch2014
01-11-2010, 19:14
I also was going to say Promised Land. i also think that there may be some options in the DWG sate park for you to look into.

wilSwim
01-11-2010, 21:08
pa stare parks are going through cutbacks...the winter camping options are closed at ricketts and pronised land. i will check in to stokes...

any other ideas?

ki0eh
01-11-2010, 21:12
The drive-up Forestry campsites - there was another thread recently concerning such in Weiser State Forest in the vicinity of the Pinnacle near Hamburg.

nox
01-11-2010, 21:21
Weiser state forrest around Hamburg- there's a few nice trails... French Creek state park - Plenty of easy hiking (very easy). I'm pretty sure Ricketts Glen still has one loop open for camping, maybe give them a call, their website isn't always right. But the falls loop is most likely closed except to registered climbers. It gets pretty dangerous when it's iced over. Worlds End Is still open I think. There are tons of trail up there. I'm going there tomorrow, I can post when I get back to let you know... goodluck

wilSwim
01-12-2010, 15:26
Yes, let me/us know about Worlds End...I have done weiser recently a month back and French Creek last winter. I have contacted Ricketts and winter camping is closed for this year...darn budget.

Right now Stokes looks interesting in Jersey.