PDA

View Full Version : Please help newbie with gear list :)

Myaaka
01-11-2010, 15:46
Hey everyone, this is my first actual hiking trip (for more than a day or two) since I was 8 years old. I have been planning this for over two years now and been doing research on different items and what to bring and what not to bring on the trail. As of right now my base weight is 12.73lbs for my starting weight. Not too bad for a start, but my goal is to have it around 11.5lbs for winter weight and 10lbs for summer weight. If there is anything that you see on here that I can take off for my start (Feb 24th I will be on the Approach trail) please help me out. :) Will be doing several trial runs over the next month hoping to drop at least a pound from base weight. Just don't want to take too little and freeze, but my body temperature usually helps me stay warmer in colder weather.

Oh, and still trying to find an outer layer pair of pants. Any help would be wonderful!

slugger
01-11-2010, 16:05
Tent Equipment Katahdin Equinox, Royal Blue (3350 ci.) Ultralite Pack Cover (1800-3500 ci.) Ultralight Stuff Sack (7 x 15 in.) One Pound Tent (lwgear.com) Titanium Peg Ultra Ground Cloth Sleeping Bag - Marmot Helium Sleeping Pad - 3/4 NightLight
Clothing Items Socks - 3 smartwool (2 reg, 1 lowrise) Underwear - 2 (Patagonia Boy Shorts) Patagonia Bra and Cami Skull Cap Long-Sleeve Shirt - Silk Men's Ex Light Down Jacket Insport Nylon Shorts Waterproof Pants - Tights - Patagonia Capilene 2 Bottoms Long-Sleeve Shirt - Capilene 2 Zip-Neck Lightweight Hiking Shoes Polypropylene Gloves Belt
Essential Assessories Denatured or methyl alcohol (8oz bottle) AGG Soda Can Stove Set Towel (patagonia) 2 L Bladder 6 L Water Bag AGG Princeton Tec Fuel Headlamp Aquamira (AGG) Journal w/ push Pencil Needle/Thread/Safety Pin Lighter AGG Evernew Titanium Ultra Light 21.5oz AGG Evernew Titanium Ultra Light Cozy Rope - 40ft Treeline Spectra (AGG) Knife (?? Not sure which one) Whistle HikeLite Spoon Diva Cup TP - (off the roll, in ziploc bag) Chapstick w/SPF Bandaids - (10-15 asst in plastic bag) Pills (15 advil,5 pepto) Mont-Bell Handy Scoop (Trowel) Wallet (License,Credit Card,Phone,5 bills) Toothbrush - travel Toothpaste - travel (.85 oz. net) Duct Tape - (wrapped in a roll) Sun Screen SPF 33 (REI) Adventure Medical Ben's 100 Spray Insect Repellant Trash bag for Rain Campsuds (REI) Hydrogen Peroxide
Average 1 liter water carried Average 3 days food carried
Average 2 liter water carried Average 6 days food leaving town

Trekking Poles

Blissful
01-11-2010, 16:23
Trowel is optional. I didn't take one.
Don't think you will need 2 liter and 6 liter bag for water. I took a 3 liter platypus and one soda/Aqua Fina bottle to mix drinks in (water gets boring).
What do you need Hydrogen peroxide for? I did take a small tube of antibiotic cream.
Do you have a rain jacket?
Belt for what?
Maps , guidebook pages, maybe some baby wipes
I loved my convertible pants for hiking (then you don't need the shorts)
It could still be pretty cold late Feb, be sure you are ready. I might put in a silk liner for your bag. Honestly, better to take little more and send it home later then freeze (I can't stand being cold myself). Like I took a fleece also bedsides my down jacket. Make sure your hat is good too.

Spokes
01-11-2010, 16:32
All you need to know.......

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Myaaka
01-11-2010, 17:16
Blissful, thanks so much for the input. As for the water bag, i put the 6 liter on there because I thought I might need to carry water to camp when making dinner or breakfast. Is this not necessary? Should I just keep the 2 liter for drinking while hiking and then just fill that up for the camp site for cooking?
I can easily take out the Hydrogen peroxide, only put it on there for in case I get a bad cut or something and need to disinfect. As for rain jacket, still working on that one. Thanks again so much! I have some more research to do to find me a jacket! :)

Myaaka
01-11-2010, 17:17
Spoke, thanks so much for that site! I bought an issue of backpacker about 2 years ago and totally forgot about it. I will definitely be subscribing. :)

Myaaka
01-11-2010, 17:18
Sorry, meant to put Spokes, not Spoke. :)

Spirit Walker
01-11-2010, 18:06
I think the water bag is a good idea. Sometimes the spring is a long long way down the ridge. You don't want to be doing that more than once.

Do you have a warm hat and gloves? Comb? Journal? Book? Camera?

You won't need the bug dope in February.

Earplugs?

quasarr
01-11-2010, 18:34
Looks like you already have a lot of great lightweight stuff, especially your big 4. But you have a lot of small stuff there, I think as you hike you'll realize what you use and what you don't.

But here's my suggestions.

Stuff sacks & pack cover - I would replace both of these with a trash compactor garbage bag, weight 2.2 oz (I know this cause I still have my spreadsheet from 2008 LOL). You can just stuff all your night stuff in the bag, no need for a stuff sack. Then twist the top and tie it to keep it dry. It's more of personal preference but I don't like pack covers, they're a hassle and always falling off.

I love sneakers as much as any gram weenie, but in winter/snow I really want something warmer.

Agree to get rid of the trowel. Not necessary and makes you look like a dork :p

I wouldn't bring sunscreen or bug spray. Bugs shouldn't be a problem in winter. And even though there's less shade, the days are short.

I wouldn't bring the camp suds or camp towel. Do you really think you're gonna wash up when it's 30 out? I sure wouldn't!! brrrrrr

Also I would add an emergency fire starter that you know how to use.

knife- I use a mini swiss army knife, weight 2.1 oz.

pot - have you bought the Evernew pot yet? I used the infamous K-Mart grease pot, which costs about $6 and weighs 3.8 oz including lid. Just a way to save some $$.

journal - kind of heavy! why not bring just a few pages with you or tear the book in half, then mail pages home as you use them.

alcohol bottle - why does it weigh 8oz? is that with fuel included? You can just use a distinctive plastic bottle - I used Mountain Dew (green so you don't mistake it for water). Also REI has plastic bottles with a squirt top so you can be more precise with pouring, those weigh only 2-3 oz.

soda can stove set - why does it weigh 4oz? My soda can stove with homemade wire pot stand and aluminum foil windscreen all together weighed 2.1 oz.

I know these are picky but it sounds like you're trying to squeeze every last ounce! Hope this helps. :banana

mountain squid
01-11-2010, 18:36
Looks pretty good. Some observations:

camp footwear
bandana/buff (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=328&compid=1)
hand sanitizer
a 2 liter platy (http://cascadedesigns.com/Platypus/Filtration-And-Storage/Platy-Water-Tank/product) for 'dirty' water, in addition to hydration system for drinking on the go
sm swiss army knife with tweezers/scissors (tick removal/nail clipping)
if no cell phone, important phone #s

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Pootz
01-11-2010, 18:53
Hey everyone, this is my first actual hiking trip (for more than a day or two) since I was 8 years old. I have been planning this for over two years now and been doing research on different items and what to bring and what not to bring on the trail. As of right now my base weight is 12.73lbs for my starting weight. Not too bad for a start, but my goal is to have it around 11.5lbs for winter weight and 10lbs for summer weight. If there is anything that you see on here that I can take off for my start (Feb 24th I will be on the Approach trail) please help me out. :) Will be doing several trial runs over the next month hoping to drop at least a pound from base weight. Just don't want to take too little and freeze, but my body temperature usually helps me stay warmer in colder weather.

Oh, and still trying to find an outer layer pair of pants. Any help would be wonderful!

Your list looks good, you will be lighter than 90% of the people already. You can leave the peroxide and clean bad cuts with aqua Mira. Just mix one dose with one once of water. You will have lots of chances to try out your gear and make changes on the trail.

Good Luck

leaftye
01-11-2010, 20:13
WAY lighter than my pack, that's for sure.

Spirit Walker
01-11-2010, 20:29
If you are fair skinned, sunscreen is actually a good idea. There are no leaves on the trees in early spring. Some AT hikers get badly burned with their winter pale skin.

BrianLe
01-11-2010, 20:30
You might want more/thicker padding underneath you at night to stay warm enough for a late Feb start; I'm starting literally the day after you do (leave Amicola Feb 25th) so I've been thinking about the "staying warm" aspect, particularly given the winter they seem to be having in the east this year.

I doubt you'll want to wear the down jacket while walking (it would be too warm for me, anyway), so ... some sort of wind shell? I use a windshirt, quite light, very useful --- a rainjacket could also function for this (and of course, also serve as your rain gear ...). I personally prefer a separate (lighter weight) windshirt and a poncho for rain.

I agree with the idea of mittens rather than gloves (or layer them perhaps). I've personally also appreciated a "layered" warm hat approach, a thin balaclava that covers my nose at night, with a separate warm hat I can layer onto that; the latter I typically wear starting off on cold mornings. Mittens and hat are a good way for me to be ~warm enough when I start off in a windshirt, and I can take them off without having to stop.

Depending on what you're counting exactly, I'd leave things like "shoes" out of baseweight, unless you carry a spare pair or something ... ditto alcohol fuel.

FWIW, starting about the same time on the trail, my baseweight is 17.3 pounds; if you're interested in comparing gear items, my list is here (http://postholer.com/journal/viewGearlist.php?sid=a8625b86f098bcd8e3d5a51af5312 b1c&event_id=533). It's pretty detailed/granular; I'm not sure if I just carry more crap than other people do, or I'm just more complete and detailed about listing it (I suspect the latter). I'll drop about 3 pounds of that around Pearisburg or so (first 13 items on the clothing list mostly go away, lighter sleeping bag, etc).

I hope it goes great for you. Since my old hiking friend (Lucky) and I (Gadget) are starting a day after you, maybe we'll run into each other. Maybe not too --- Lucky and I are older fellows, and I believe that he, like me, let himself go somewhat this winter ... :-)

Myaaka
01-12-2010, 15:00
Wow, thank you all so much for the wonderful advice! As of right now I have all my gear out on the floor and am going thru it hoping to drop ounces here and there.

Spirit Walker, I do have two different hats that I will be trying out tomorrow and if for some reason they aren't warm enough, I will end up getting a balaclave. I do have a decent pair of warm gloves that I like. As for the journal, I haven't decided yet if I want to take one with me or if I just want to use my iPhone (which is also used as my camera, video, internet, and communication with family). Will have lightweight solar charger as well. May I ask what the earplugs would be for? at night perhaps?
And when will I start needing the bug dope?

quasarr, wow, thanks so much for all that wonderful information! as for the bugs spray, I agree with you. but I do have to take the sun screen. I am white as a sheet and burn really easily. :/ hehe you're right though, i won't be washing up in the winter. Yikes! :) as for the journal, i think i might just use my iphone since i can write in it. love the swiss army knife, will have to get one of those. As for my stove, I calculated wrong, it is 2.5oz and that is with the stove, wind shield, and extra small cozy container. The fuel container is 8.4 oz fully loaded with fuel. But you are right, I am very picky about my weight, and want it to be under 10lbs if possible. And if I don't count the clothes I'm wearing the pack is only at 9lbs. =D

mountain squid
01-12-2010, 15:18
Good call on the sunscreen :sun...

Ear plugs for night.

Will iphone battery be sufficient with extra usage as journal? How reliable is solar charger?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

BrianLe
01-12-2010, 15:27
"Will have lightweight solar charger as well."

I don't recall hearing/reading anyone that said they carried a solar charger on an AT thru-hike and would do so again. For the majority of the PCT (up into Oregon somewhere), I think a solar charger can be worth carrying; likely ditto on the CDT. On the AT, however ... well, at least you'll have lots of places from which you can mail it back home!

jesse
01-12-2010, 15:28
... this is my first actual hiking trip (for more than a day or two) since I was 8 years old. I have been planning this for over two years...

Too much planning, not enough hiking. Go out for a few shakedowns, you will answer all your questions.

Myaaka
01-12-2010, 15:50
Mountain Squid, I totally forgot about the footwear. I am looking for a pair of flipflops that weigh about an ounce. :) I know they are out there somewhere!

Oh wow Pootz, I didn't know I could use Aquamira like that! Thanks so much! Def taking out the peroxide.

BrianLe, for rain gear, i'm still trying to work that out. I can buy a rain jacket, but the only one I have found that I like is 10.7 oz. Or I can just use a poncho or trash bag. If you have any links to specific ones, please feel free to send them my way. :) Oh, and I tried going to your gear list link, but it says it does not exist. I would really love to take a look at it! I always love checking out with other people bring.

Jesse, you are so right! I will be doing several 'shakedowns' here in the next month, with tomorrow being my first day. I know, sometimes I tend to over think things. :)

Again, thank you all so much for the wonderful advice! I have already dropped a pound by just adjusting my gear list. My base weight (when I am wearing the clothes) is only at 7.65 lbs right now! My whole list including clothes and shoes is at 12.45lbs. I am so excited! Can't wait to see you all on the trail!

BrianLe
01-12-2010, 16:06
"Oh, and I tried going to your gear list link, but it says it does not exist. I would really love to take a look at it! I always love checking out with other people bring."

Me too. Sorry about that. If you go to my journal at http://postholer.com/brianle and then click on the "gear list" link, that will get you there. If even that fails, then an almost-current version is at http://www.nwlink.com/~brianle/AT_Gear_List_Gadget.pdf (http://www.nwlink.com/%7Ebrianle/AT_Gear_List_Gadget.pdf)

Raingear: dri-ducks isn't too heavy and it's cheap. Not sure if it would last an AT thru-hike, given how wet the AT is supposed to be (I think I read somewhere to expect rain about one out of every three days on average?). A trashbag works to some extent; I think in a lot of rain, however, it's worth a bit of a weight hit to have something designed for rain. I personally like a poncho with some sort of cord belt; for me it acts like a sort of vented rain jacket and rain skirt combined, and I can put it on or take it off without removing my pack. Others don't like ponchos; only you can decide what's best for you. For $45, I think the Campmor "ultralight" poncho (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20256) is a pretty good choice --- not top of the line, but fairly light and not expensive, and it works great for me. But do get some sort of shock cord or just regular thin cord to make a "belt" to wear around it to control the fabric (especially in wind).

Some prefer the packa (http://www.thepacka.com/) as a hybrid alternative, but it's heavier at 13 oz, and isn't as dual use as a poncho (which can be used as a tarp).

I really love a very light wind shirt for non-rainy times when it's a bit cold. If I start out hiking in any sort of insulation layer I always overheat quickly, but I can hike in the wind shirt for extended periods --- of course depending on the temperature, wind, elevation gain/loss --- it really helps me be flexible to the conditions.

Myaaka
01-12-2010, 16:16
Gadget, yes, the link worked this time. And wow, you do have it down to every last thing. Very nice!
And I really like that poncho. If it works out really well, I might just replace it with my tent and use the poncho instead. Not sure yet.
And I'm like you, I overheat really fast as well. Not too much fun, but at least I am not worried about getting too cold while hiking. :)

BrianLe
01-12-2010, 16:36
"If it works out really well, I might just replace it with my tent and use the poncho instead. Not sure yet."

I wouldn't recommend starting with a poncho shelter if you're not already somewhat experienced using just a tarp. And I wouldn't personally feel that particular poncho is sufficient in any event. I've used my Golite poncho as a shelter in low bug conditions where I wasn't expecting horrific weather; works okay, but it's not as wide as I'd prefer. The Campmor poncho is, in addition, not as long ...
For me, the Campmor poncho is great in combo with a tarptent, poncho used almost exclusively just as rain gear. But can be combined in certain conditions with the tarptent as an extended vestibule, or to provide a cooking/eating covered area, or as a second layer of defense when it rains long and hard ... but FWIW I rarely bother with any of these things.

Myaaka
01-12-2010, 16:52
Well, I am defintely not experienced with using a tarp. It's cool, I really like the tent I have and having the poncho as an extra area if needed could be a plus. Thanks again!

BrianLe
01-12-2010, 20:04
If you do end up with that particular Campmor poncho, there's one caveat --- at least for the one I bought maybe 3 years ago. The snaps (that convert it to/from poncho or tarp) seemed really really hard to open for me. Like fingernail-breaking hard. I would use the non-sharp edge of my pocket knife blade to get them to reluctantly open.

Then I realized that the little fabric flaps that seemed to get in the way of snapping the snaps shut was perhaps intended to be snapped into/inside the snaps. I did that and now they're not a bear to open. Dunno if the same system is still in place with the current model, but FYI anyway.

quasarr
01-17-2010, 18:25
I am looking for a pair of flipflops that weigh about an ounce. :) I know they are out there somewhere!

I made camp sandals by cutting a shape out of a Walmart blue foam pad found in a hiker box, then attaching string. I used the same pad to make a pot cozy! I never got to weigh the sandals but I doubt they weighed more than 2 oz. They were flimsy but worked fine and earned me my trail name (MacGyver) :) In winter you probably won't be wearing flip flops around camp anyway, so you can just make the sandals later.

this guy made sandals using shoe insoles, and shows how to attach the string.

http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

quasarr
01-17-2010, 18:28
PS fuel should not be included in your base weight, it's considered a "consumable" like food or water.