PDA

View Full Version : Cannister Lantern vs. Battery Lantern

AeroGuyDC
01-11-2010, 17:32
I've been torn whether to purchase a cannister fuel lantern, such as the Snow Peak Giga Power, or go with a battery-powered lantern for use around shelters/campsites.

Since i'm already carrying fuel for my stove, it seems reasonable to have a fuel lantern as well. But, that could necessitate the need to carry more fuel. On the other hand, there's the necessity to carry batteries if I were to go with the battery-powered.

Do any of you have any experience with this that you can pass along?

FYI: 10 day section hike - Caledonia State Park, PA to Front Royal, VA (112 miles).

Thanks in advance fo your help.

mountain squid
01-11-2010, 17:50
Neither. What will you need so much light for? It will be extra weight...

A headlamp is more than enough for nighttime viewing.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

leaftye
01-11-2010, 17:54
I have a canister lantern. It sucks. I'd have to agree with a headlamp. You can get one that's super bright, but still lasts for hundreds of hours at lower settings.

AeroGuyDC
01-11-2010, 17:59
Neither. What will you need so much light for? It will be extra weight...

A headlamp is more than enough for nighttime viewing.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I can certainly see your point, and I will most likely pick up a headlamp as well. Perhaps i'm looking at it the wrong way, but in my years of camping i've normally had a lantern at the campsight for obvious reasons. I can see how arriving at the shelter at 930 pm, rolling out your sleeping bag, and going to sleep would necessitate little more than a flashlight. But what about those times where you arrive at the campsight at dusk and will be awake for serveral hours? Campfires usually help out, but in most cases I don't see myself building a fire. A flashlight seems a little laborious, and a lantern would light up the situation a little before going to bed.

Do you normally just hang out in the campsight and converse with others in the dark?

I'm new to the AT...so forgive me for the newbie questions. :)

Mags
01-11-2010, 18:36
Hiking the AT is just that..hiking.

While a trip that is mainly camping has you hanging around more, you will find that after a full day of hiking, you'll want to do little more than maybe writing in your journal, eating, looking over the route for the following day and then sleeping.

You may be up around the campfire a handful of times and shooting the breeze, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

A headlamp is all you'll need.

leaftye
01-11-2010, 19:41
I'll reformat what I pm'd you for the benefit (or detriment) of other.

I have a Brunton Liberty canister lantern. I'll be dumping it shortly for a Fenix HP10.

Brunton Liberty Pros:
Small for a canister lantern.
Decent lighting back when I bought it.
I'll already have a canister for my stove.
Weighs an ounce less than the Fenix without fuel.
Provides some warmth.

Brunton Liberty Cons:
Can't be used in a tent.
Can't be hung.
Needs a safe place to sit like a stove.
Can't be used at the same time as a stove, unless you pack two fuel canisters.
A hassle to light, especially if it's already dark.

Fenix HP10 Pros:
Incredibly bright.
Costs about half as much as the Brunton.
Can be used in a tent, rain, etc.
Lasts hundreds of hours on dimmer settings.
With a full set of batteries, it only weighs 1 ounce more than the Brunton.
Can use rechargeable batteries.
Push button and it's on.

Fenix HP10 Cons:
Blinding to stare into, especially if you've been drinking.

Mountain Wildman
01-11-2010, 20:02
I picked up one of these, It is the size of a soda can and uses no fuel.
As long as your not counting ounces it is definitely unger 16 oz. I believe it is around 8 ounces.
http://www.tools-plus.com/aervoe-07800.html?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=froogle&utm_term=AER07800

Rocketman
01-11-2010, 21:09
I hiked with the 2AA pocket flashlight and a Calcium Carbide Miners Lamp. Mostly, the hiking was Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.

Carbide was still widely available and cheap, and the best carbide lamps were the old brass ones, the ones the old time miners (and spelunkers) wore on their heads.

Mostly, I used mine as a "campsite" light and a "reading light". There was enough light to clean trout and cook them as well as to lie back with a book and a convenient rock or log and sleeping bag and read for a half an hour before sleeping. Or write in the journal.

In the morning, there was the ritual of cleaning out the gunk in the lamp, cleaning the nozzle and rinsing out the lamp. It used half a handful or less of carbide for each night, and about 2 ounces or so of water.

The light was bright and really white hot.

Then, I was absent from backpacking for 25 years. Carbide was hard to find and expensive.

With age came changes. I couldn't carry that much weight or volume anymore. I walked slower, and didn't have that much leftover time at the end of the day.

Lights had become much better. LED technology, particularly. Lots more light for the same battery weight. Yes, you can buy into expensive lightweight batteries.

At any rate, I have no longer any desire to camp with lots of light. NO desire to carry the weight or bulk. It was fun. It was fun to be the only guy who had figured out how to have so much light for so little cost and weight.

I think you will have lots of fun and comfort without "Big Light". I do, now.

But, you may have fun being the "Big Light" guy.

Anyway, after being away from this stuff for years, you may be surprized to find that you too have changed.

Good luck,

Jim

Hooch
01-11-2010, 21:19
I'm gonna agree with what others have said. A good quality headlamp is all you'll probably need. If you're dead set on using additional lighting, you may want to look into a candle lantern.

srestrepo
01-12-2010, 01:10
ok, so i have a primus micron lantern. its a canister lantern, it doesn't weigh hardly anything, not much louder than a whisper and to be completely honest with you, it doesn't waste any fuel. however, i find myself only brinign it with me when i'm hiking with friends, the reason being is that when we're all sitting around playing cards and drinking someone gets mad at someone else because their super bright led headlamp keeps getting flashed in someones eyes too often and well i was done with the headaches of that stupid argument. the lantern is really nice and all but again, i only use it for a specific purpose for a specific circumstance. if you're just out on your own, just get a headlamp, put it on low and you'll have way more light than you need for more time than you'll need it for.

bflorac
01-12-2010, 02:51
While I have only sectioned hike the AT (late spring, 2-3 weeks a at time), I find myselft and others tired and wanting to hit the sack about dusk (unless you get meet up with a bunch of Boy Scouts who just wont' shut up). I have a PrincetonTec Quad Headlamp. I don't carry spare batteries as I have plenty of light to do my early evening journal entry, a little bit of sudoku and hit the sack. I like the PrincetonTec because I wear bi-focal lenes and it is the only one that I can put the light right where I need it to be in focus up close. It has three intensities and I can do just about anything at the lowest level. So skip the latern, it won't be needed and parhaps you can avoid keeping everyone else awake.

jrwiesz
01-12-2010, 02:58
Petzl e-lite is all one needs.:sun

Hikes in Rain
01-12-2010, 06:15
I hiked with the 2AA pocket flashlight and a Calcium Carbide Miners Lamp. Mostly, the hiking was Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.

Jim

I've had one of those for about the same amount of time! They're marvelous little contraptions, aren't they? I loved using mine; it was always a great conversation starter. I haven't been able to find carbide in many years, so it's on display in the library.

leaftye
01-12-2010, 06:26
Is this what you put in those lamps?
http://www.karstsports.com/mingradcalca.html

Hikes in Rain
01-12-2010, 06:58
That's it! Holy $#@!, did you see the price on that can?!? Used to be able to get it for pennies.

The way these things work, water drips from an upper reservoir down onto the calcium carbide. The reaction between the two produces acetylene gas, the same stuff used in cutting torches. There's a little orifice to dispense the gas, and a spark wheel in the reflector. Very bright, very white light.

Long ago, many houses had a larger version of the same thing in the basement to generate their own gas for gas lights.

bigcranky
01-12-2010, 08:20
The only time I brought a canister lantern was in the dead of winter when I'd be in camp for many long hours. Even then, it was a major PITA if you have one that uses those extremely fragile mantles. (Ask me how I know this. Grrrr.)

Beyond that, a headlamp is plenty, even in winter. The canister lantern has been relegated to car camping.

Hikes with a stick
01-12-2010, 08:40
I like the black diamond orbit. Its small, uses 4 AAA lithium batteries, and when hung from a tree can illuminate a campsite. Does a great job of lighting the tent as well. Its so small I usually take it anytime I travel, never know when you are going to need some extra light...

If car camping, check out the apollo.

mister krabs
01-12-2010, 08:57
That's it! Holy $#@!, did you see the price on that can?!? Used to be able to get it for pennies.

The way these things work, water drips from an upper reservoir down onto the calcium carbide. The reaction between the two produces acetylene gas, the same stuff used in cutting torches. There's a little orifice to dispense the gas, and a spark wheel in the reflector. Very bright, very white light.

Long ago, many houses had a larger version of the same thing in the basement to generate their own gas for gas lights.

It's still pennies, that price is for 5 2lb cans, 10lbs total. According to the description, the cost is because of the hazmat fees.

"Approximately $55.00 of the purchase price goes toward the cost of preparing and shipping the Calcium Carbide."

AeroGuyDC
02-02-2010, 21:03
Thanks to everyone for the great advice! This forum is awesome.

leaftye
02-07-2010, 22:29
I love my HP10 so far. Last Saturday night I fell asleep with it on. It's not that uncomfortable, but I still wouldn't even think of it if my bladder could resist relieving itself at least twice a night when temps are in the 20's.

YHell ya Nawlens!