PDA

View Full Version : What Dog Breed To Carry?

KrisGirl34
01-11-2010, 17:52
I am getting a puppy in December. It would be ideal to carry this puppy with my in my game hike in 2011 what breeds are most suitable with this?

Ender
01-11-2010, 17:58
I am getting a puppy in December. It would be ideal to carry this puppy with my in my game hike in 2011 what breeds are most suitable with this?

You plan on carrying a puppy 2000+ miles? Chihuahua. Seriously.

Maddog
01-11-2010, 17:59
good luck!

Phreak
01-11-2010, 18:01
Is the OP serious? Carrying a dog for a thru-hike? Wait til after your hike and then get a puppy... for the puppy's sake.

Hooch
01-11-2010, 18:03
http://yorkieplace.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/yorkie.jpg

Hooch
01-11-2010, 18:06
I am getting a puppy in December. It would be ideal to carry this puppy with my in my game hike in 2011 what breeds are most suitable with this?In all seriousness, how would it be ideal to carry a dog? Particularly one that you just got before starting a thru hike and would have little time to train. Doesn't sound like the best of ideas, but to each their own. :rolleyes:

CrumbSnatcher
01-11-2010, 18:08
to hard on a puppy to thruhike! and being stuffed into a pack most of the time for 5-6 months is almost as cruel!!!!.
getting a puppy is great!
thruhiking is great!
mixing them togeather? bad idea!!!

Ender
01-11-2010, 18:08
Is the OP serious? Carrying a dog for a thru-hike? Wait til after your hike and then get a puppy... for the puppy's sake.

Actually, I totally agree with this. An AT thru is no place for any dog under 2 years old. They aren't well trained enough at that young age to act appropriately around other hikers, they aren't old enough yet to walk the trail themselves without doing damage to their leg joints and muscles, and unless you get a large dog they aren't going to be able to stay warm enough during the cold months. And if you get a small dog, like a chihuahua, there are a bajillion other issues you'll have to consider.

Wait till after the trail, then get a dog... you'll both be happier for it.

SMOOTHGINGER
01-11-2010, 18:13
I took my lab on my thur hike. But she carried her own food and water. She is a great dog and listens well. She was a pleasure to hike with but there are hikers that dont like dogs but it being a free county they are entilted to there own views. I got chased by the ponies in greyson highlands the stallion kept trying to kick my ginger. She was also able to locate springs that were listed in the trail guide. I did hike with a guy called Oregon that got a puppy at trail days, he really did end up regreting it. Get u a ten pound rock and hike with it a few days then decide if you really want to carry a dog

CrumbSnatcher
01-11-2010, 18:14
no better trail partner than a dog!
you put water in a dog pack? thats sad!

Phreak
01-11-2010, 18:40
I got chased by the ponies in greyson highlands the stallion kept trying to kick my ginger.
Here is Suzi interacting with a pony in Grayson Highlands.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/5/1/3/img_7139.jpg

leaftye
01-11-2010, 19:43
What Dog Breed To Carry?

Stick with this breed:

http://www.noahsanimalfigurines.com/catalog/images/0PlushDogs.jpg

the goat
01-12-2010, 10:03
st. bernard

clicker
01-12-2010, 14:08
i agree with the goat, any giant breed like st bernard or mastiff, i would also suggest carrying a normal dog bed and ceramic bowls with paw prints on them for food and water (they would be so nice to look at in the shelters)

ShelterLeopard
01-12-2010, 14:18
Stick with this breed:

http://www.noahsanimalfigurines.com/catalog/images/0PlushDogs.jpg

I'm carrying:
http://4urpets.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/stuffed-squirrel.jpg

ShelterLeopard
01-12-2010, 14:19
Whoa, did not think it would be so big, sorry.

SmokeEater
01-12-2010, 14:22
Whoa, did not think it would be so big, sorry.

And thats what she said!:D

Ender
01-12-2010, 14:25
And thats what she said!:D

That actually is what she said. :p :sun

off-pher
01-12-2010, 20:52
Why don't you get a dog now train him/her and let it walk?
Why do you want to carry a dog? They come with four legs.

Saluka
01-13-2010, 01:31
I wish I still had the picture of my little lily when she was 6 months old. I ended up giving the picture away to her veterinarian that also enjoys hiking.

Lily is a 6lb miniature dachshund that hiked 3 mountains totally 13 miles over 3 days all on her own when she was 6 months old. It was much easier lifting her up rock scrambles than other dogs.

At night she would sleep in the bottom of my sleeping bag. The best thing about her size was that when she got tired you could just throw her in your pack. She did get cold a lot though which was problematic.

If you want a tiny dog to hike with than I advise you get a dachshund. Though I don't think a dachshund would do well on a long distance hike like the AT. They get cold and tired with such little legs, but they have the right personality to survive most of what the woods throw at them.

I love my dachshund... now if only I could find that picture.

Saluka
01-13-2010, 01:37
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/Dachshunddudette/DSC00057.jpg

Wonder if that worked.. that'll give you an idea of how large she was then. She has grown a few more pounds since. (You can tell a dachshunds age by the length of their nose!)

JAK
01-13-2010, 10:11
Depending on the persons knowledge, experience, equipment, physical condition, and rate of travel, it might be possible and responsible to hike 2000 miles with a young dog of the right breed. For the past 35,000 years or so, this sort of thing wouldn't have been unusual. Even with all the strange breeding practices of the past 100 years or so, it should still be easy for the right person to find and appropriate breed of dog.

Finding the right breed of person today, that's a different question.

CrumbSnatcher
01-13-2010, 10:36
you gotta watch those small dogs! get ate up by alot of things!
you'd crap yourself seeing fu-fu flying away with a hawk headed for supper time

JAK
01-13-2010, 10:57
I think I would go for some sort of a medium sized mixed breed, the closest thing I could find to what native americans might have had in our region as general outdoor companions. Something about the size of an Eastern Coyote, though obviously not an eastern coyote. They seem to be doing very well in our region however, which gives another good indication as to what sort of dog might be suitable.

We have a problem with coydogs, which are a mix of eastern coyote and dog. They usually run with their tails up, like a dog or wolf, which is one way to tell. The problem with them is that they are less afraid of human contact. Sometimes they are bigger than eastern coyotes also, which can make the problem worse. Also, by breeding with eastern coyotes they can make them more of a problem over time. In terms of size and weight and coat and fortitude, they are obviously proving to be well adapted to our environment. I am not saying they would make a good pet, as that would add to the problem. Just saying it might provide an indication of the type of dog to look for in a general purpose outdoor companion. Medium sized, robust with hybrid vigour, and good fuel economy. ;)

cowboy nichols
01-13-2010, 11:11
May I sugest , go to a shelter find a dog you like that is at least 2yrs. old. Train for hiking and both of you will benifit.

white_russian
01-13-2010, 12:02
If you are going to take a dog thruhiking I think the dog and owner should be able to pass the AKC's Canine Good Citizen test (http://www.akc.org/pdfs/cgc/GK9GC1.pdf). It is all pretty basic stuff.

CrumbSnatcher
01-13-2010, 12:08
May I sugest , go to a shelter find a dog you like that is at least 2yrs. old. Train for hiking and both of you will benifit.
THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!:cool:

wrongway_08
01-13-2010, 18:40
I adopted my dog in Erwin TN, on my thru. Great area to pick one up at.

You will also run into strays along the way.

I would'nt bring a puppy, he will drive you nuts after a month or so. More power to you but it'll be a pain in the arse carry'n the sucker. If you can deal with carry'n him and all the puppy stuff ..... go for it. The more dogs on the trail the better, puppy or full grown.

What ever you do dont get one of those almost over-grown rats people think are dogs ..... AKA..... kick-dogs. They are just stupid....... of course my buddy in the photo loves them!!!

CrumbSnatcher
01-13-2010, 18:52
wrongway, i think the puppy would get sick of being carried?
thats like me asking you to go on a cool ass roadtrip, but if its ok could you ride in the trunk! :D just kidding
that was great of you to adopt.

Connie
01-13-2010, 21:27
I heard the cry of a puppy snatched by an eagle: cried like a baby. I wouldn't take a small dog.

Hmm. What to carry? 4 lbs. dog or 4 lbs. food. Easy choice.

saimyoji
01-13-2010, 21:57
this thread reeks of zoidfu.......just sayin'......

JAK
01-13-2010, 22:13
lol

I love that expression. I've started using it up here.

leaftye
01-14-2010, 00:35
Hmm. What to carry? 4 lbs. dog or 4 lbs. food. Easy choice.

Those choices are not mutually exclusive.

traildust
01-14-2010, 10:15
If you are going to take a dog thruhiking I think the dog and owner should be able to pass the AKC's Canine Good Citizen test (http://www.akc.org/pdfs/cgc/GK9GC1.pdf). It is all pretty basic stuff.

Maybe passing this test should be required for Whiteblaze posting.

Doooglas
01-14-2010, 10:38
You can tell a dachshunds age by the length of their nose!)

Politicians are like that too.;)

thelowend
01-17-2010, 01:52

go to your local animal shelter and get a nice midsized looking mutt. they will be hardy and love you more than you would ever think possible. i have only ever had rescues and they are amazing dogs. make sure you get one that will be big enough to carry its own pack too.

jrwiesz
01-17-2010, 06:38

The OP's age is 16, if that's a correct profile entry.

Nuf said.

brotheral
01-17-2010, 07:08

Just my opinion: Wait until after your hike to get a puppy !!! :-?

Mountain Wildman
02-05-2010, 00:47
Krisgirl34,
When I was looking for a dog I went to this site: http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/dogs/BreedMatch/
You move the sliders on the chart to what you are looking for in a dog and it gives you a list of the different breeds that meet your criteria.
Under Exercise Requirements you might try moving it all the way to the right thereby selecting a dog with high exercise requirements, The AT will give them plenty of exercise and you may be able to find a puppy that is already a few months old that way it will age a few more months before you start your Thru-hike, Some breeds grow to a fair size in only a few months.
I was considering getting a dog as well for my Thru next year and I still might.
And another option would be to get the puppy sooner than December so it is close to or full grown by next year.

thelowend
02-05-2010, 01:12
any young puppy wont be able to respond to commands well enough (there are the exceptions, but its rare that a puppy listens well until they get out of the hyper stage). i would recommend you do what cowboy nichols said and go to shelter and find a 2-5 yr old pup that looks like it needs some hiking and start training him/her for the trail.

thelowend
02-05-2010, 01:13
oh, and you probably want to give yourself at least 3-5 months to get them well trained and accustomed to the rigors of the trail before starting with a long distance hike.

prain4u
02-06-2010, 00:56

You have GOT to be kidding! I am hoping that your post is a prank or a joke.

1) Carrying a dog for over 2100 miles of hiking (6 months)--regardless of the dog's size--would be difficult for both the dog and the hiker. I think many humane societies would even classify it as being cruel.

2) Puppies are physically not ready for the rigors of the trail. Here is what one veterinarian had to say:

"Long-distance treks can be rigorous and demanding for any dog, but dogs under 12 to 14 months of age can sustain damage to their bones and joints that might cause problems later in life."

3) Small dogs and puppies could become "dinner" for larger dogs and other animals.

4) Here is the complete article from a vet regarding dogs on long distance hikes:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/fido.pdf

Please wait until AFTER your thru hike to buy your puppy.

thecramers
08-01-2010, 23:48
;)I am also planning on taking my dog with on the hike. She will be less then ten pounds full grown as she is a pomeranian. She is crazy and smart and very agile so I have no doubt she will be able to go the distance. The nice thing about her size and breed though is she wont have a problem with the cold and shes so small im just getting a little pouch to hang from the shoulder straps of my pack for her. I like to think that my puppy is my one splurge item-although my dh has already said she is all mine when she needs to be carried because he's not dealing with the extra weight. To a true dog lover she is worth it. See you all on the trail in 2011!;)

thecramers
08-01-2010, 23:51
A little more info on my pomeranian puppy
1) She'll be more then 1 yr by trail time
2) I'm a firm believer in polite dogs and obediance training
3) She will be walking as much or as little as she wants
4) I couldn't imagine boarding her of giving her away
5) She North Dakota tuff

Rocket Jones
08-02-2010, 06:26
A little more info on my pomeranian puppy
1) She'll be more then 1 yr by trail time
2) I'm a firm believer in polite dogs and obediance training
3) She will be walking as much or as little as she wants
4) I couldn't imagine boarding her of giving her away
5) She North Dakota tuff

You don't mention it, but I'd consider shaving her during tick season. Poms are little furballs and might be tough to check.

Also, GSMNP and Baxter don't allow dogs. You'll have to board her there or shuttle around those parks.

Enjoy the hike! Enjoy your dog!

wrongway_08
08-03-2010, 10:03
Any dog that you are able to carry for the 2,100 miles will be under the catagory of mouse/rat wanna-be. Just get something cool like a real rat or Ferret and hike with that.

Or get a real dog, around the 45 pound weight is good. They are energetic and can last long miles.

Really large breeds tend to only last half the day and then want to relaxe plus the food you will carry is going to over load you.

I hiked with great danes - bad choice due to the shorter mile days and food needs.
Really like my lab but he does tend to wear out in the mountains sooner then I like. The food is not a big weight deal for me.

My red heeler is great, long mile, light food.

What ever you do remember you are bringing him/her. I only have mine carry the days food and thats it. Everything else (rest of the food, toys, sleeping mat ... ) I carry.

Buy a good pack - rough wear makes one that has the built in frame - its strong/ light weight and has a strong carry handle.
The ones they make that have a seperate frame/ pack are kinda heavy and don't seem to grip the dog as well.

Buzz_Lightfoot
08-04-2010, 13:19
st. bernard

i was going to say a Newf!

thecramers
08-04-2010, 14:01
Yes thank-you I am planning on getting her shaved. She gets enough stuff stuck to her fluff now I can't imagine that many miles what kind of mess she'd look like. I am planning on boarding her for the areas that don't allow dogs. And for everyone with a "real" dog I used to take my little four pound Malti-poo (Hes no longer with us :() with me on trail rides and he would keep pace with my horses for hours. Little dogs have guts and cuddlitude that makes them there own sort of cool. LOL Although I love all dogs no matter their breed or size.

thecramers
08-04-2010, 14:05
O yea no what I meant about not imagining boarding her was for the entire time I was on the AT. Boarding her for a week or couple days will just be a good rest for her while on the trail. :o

JAK
08-04-2010, 14:19
The past 35,000 years or so of shared evolution leads me to believe that dogs and children belong on the trail with us, at any age. The past 20-200 years or so has gotten a little whacked mind you. Lot's of strange dog breeds out there now, and stranger human behaviour.

When I think of a good trail dog I think of something about the size and shape of a coyote.

Rick500
08-04-2010, 14:54
When I think of a good trail dog I think of something about the size and shape of a coyote.

My golden-retriever-type coyote will be joining me for a section or two hopefully. :)

wirerat123
08-11-2010, 12:45
I can't believe no one has mentioned this. You need a high energy dog that is intelligent enough to train easily, listens well, and proctective when need be.

Large and small breeds tire more quickly than medium breeds.

Large breeds require HUGE amounts of food and water, and putting them through a long hike carrying their own food and water is just torture to animals already succeptible to hip and joint issues. I would say it's borederline inhumane to take a large breed dog on a 2k+ hike.

Small breeds will be viewed as food by any of the sizable predators on the trail. They have very low endurance. Again, long trail days with such an animal are torture for both you and the dog. I would even venture to say it IS inhumane to take a small animal on a 2K+ hike.

The ideal type breeds for this type of activity will be Australian Sheperds, Blue and red healers, border collies, the medium spaniel breeds, some of the smaller retrievers.

Now there are exceptions to the rule. A well behaved boxer or bulldog may just be a perfect hiking partner, a really well built Lab may just be great for a long term hiking partner.

It's up to you to make that decision. But remember, it's not only you and the dog that will be effected by this decision, it's the people that have to hike around you as well. Make the wrong decision, and well you may find yourself a hated outcast.