PDA

View Full Version : Deuter 60+10

deity
01-11-2010, 18:29
I went to REI today with the intention of trying on a Gregory Jade or Deva and very much enjoying it due to all the feedback I have read about it. After trying on about 10 packs, I was very surprised to see that the most comfortable one for me was the Deuter 60+10 SL. I traded off the Gregory and the Deuter for an hour (filled with sandbags), and Deuter was the one.

For a thru-hike, however, is the 60+10 pushing the size limit? I felt very comfortable wearing it, even with 40lbs inside, but would it be a wiser choice to look closer at the Deuter 45+10, or am I making a good decision with the 60+10?

srestrepo
01-12-2010, 01:25
it kinda sounds like it sucks either way, the 45 is going to be too tight if not too small. and the 60 would be too big and promote overpacking. what i would suggest is trying to see if you can just pack wat you know you need in the 60 and then seeing how it buckles down when its not full.

what i've done in the past is load up my backpack while the pack is laying down. then try to distribute your gear within the pack along the part of the pack that is closest your back. then close it up and cinch it all down and see how it compresses. that way your gear is spread out and not all the way at the bottom of the pack where it would just feel funny.

i dont know... good luck!

gipcgirl
01-12-2010, 07:09
I went to REI today with the intention of trying on a Gregory Jade or Deva and very much enjoying it due to all the feedback I have read about it. After trying on about 10 packs, I was very surprised to see that the most comfortable one for me was the Deuter 60+10 SL. I traded off the Gregory and the Deuter for an hour (filled with sandbags), and Deuter was the one.

For a thru-hike, however, is the 60+10 pushing the size limit? I felt very comfortable wearing it, even with 40lbs inside, but would it be a wiser choice to look closer at the Deuter 45+10, or am I making a good decision with the 60+10?

I would always go for the pack that was the most comfortable. Have just bought a brand new 60+10 Deuter the best pack for comfort this is the third one I have owned. You don't have to fill it. I use my sleeping bag in the main body of the pack to fill up all the gaps. Then use the outside compression straps to pull it nice and tight. I like the larger size as I can have everything inside my pack, hate having stuff hanging off the outside.
Great pack.
Happy Hiking
gipcgirl

Marta
01-12-2010, 07:51
Do you have the gear to go inside the pack yet? If not, it's best to wait and get the pack after you have the gear. Your choice of sleeping bag and tent drastically change what size and carrying capacity you need in a pack. An expensive summer sleeping bag can be 1/5 the size of a cheaper winter bag. A solo Tarptent is maybe 1/4 the size of an REI Half Dome. It's much, much better to have your big-ticket items assembled and then take them with you to buy a pack.

If you need a pack in the meantime, REI and many independent outfitters have rental programs that will take care of your short-term need for a backpack.

sarbar
01-12-2010, 12:43
Deuters rock for those with back injuries - and for those with shorter torsos as well, with hips aplenty ;-)

deity
01-12-2010, 23:36
Thank you very much for the responses, the fit was superb, and my winter gear is not ultralight, so perhaps I have found the pack for me. I am short torsoed and hippy and the deuter fit better than all the others. I do like getting all of my gear in the pack as well, especially the sleeping bag. Thanks all around!

Praha4
01-13-2010, 01:26
I bought a Deuter 60+10 back in September, and used it on 3 A.T. section hikes in GA and NC this fall and winter. It is by far the best pack I've ever used, very lightweight for its size, just wish they had added waist belt pockets. I also own a Gregory Z55, love it too.

Planning on using the 60+10 for 2010 thru hike. Good luck!