PDA

View Full Version : What should you do if you find a farm?

sbhikes
01-11-2010, 19:38
We were discussing this the other night after having found evidence of farms on our way in. Would it help to play it stupid, act like you don't know what they're doing? Just say hello, nice day and keep walking? Produce a big bag of bud and say don't shoot, I'm your best customer? What should you do?

leaftye
01-11-2010, 19:59
I'd get away as quietly as possible. I think that'd be the most dangerous place I could be. If I had super awesome tactical skills, I'd love to mess with them, but I'd totally get shot. A lot.

Oh, and I'd mark the location on my GPS and report it. I'm not a big fan of the product, and I absolutely hate what those "farms" do to our parks.

Dogwood
01-11-2010, 20:14
I live in Hawaii. I hike often in my home state, in northern California, and Oregon, sometimes in remote, let's say, "farming areas." People find you there, realize they don't want you there, they don't want you telling what you MIGHT know, and they want to protect, let's say, their "farming investment." With large "farms", unless someone finds you in a field or messing with their hidden "investment" best to leave unnoticed and often without letting on what you know. You are trying to predict what one should do in an unpredictable sometimes hazardous situation. Sometimes, people will go to extremes to protect their cash flows. And, if someone or group finds you messing with "farms" good luck!

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2010, 20:18
I would respect the property, and I'd keep walking, and quickly, too.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2010, 20:19
We were discussing this the other night after having found evidence of farms on our way in. Would it help to play it stupid, act like you don't know what they're doing? Just say hello, nice day and keep walking? Produce a big bag of bud and say don't shoot, I'm your best customer? What should you do?

rat 'em out to the local cops. duh!

Foyt20
01-11-2010, 20:26
rat 'em out to the local cops. duh!

But lone wolf, what about the local corn squeezins? That is about equal in my opinion.

Desert Reprobate
01-11-2010, 20:31
Not equal. Out here, the Mexican drug cartels are sending people in to farm the public land. You risk getting shot if they find you out there. If the moonshiners were growing their corn on the public land it might be equal.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2010, 20:47
But lone wolf, what about the local corn squeezins? That is about equal in my opinion.

not even close. what DR says. besides this discussion is forbidden on WB

Many Walks
01-11-2010, 20:50
You'll smell the distinct aroma of a large "grow" before you see it. Best to backtrack quickly and keep a VERY wide girth around it. People have gone missing when they stumble onto a commercial plot. You might come across a plastic gravity irrigation pipe in the forest. Do not follow it out of curiosity. It will only lead you to serious trouble. If you are stopped by someone your best bet is to act as dumb as possible to what they are doing. If they have any belief you are a threat to their operation you are most likely dead. In town or lightly populated areas you might act like you're cool with it and get away. We did that in August when we came upon a plot of about 50 plants 1/2 m. from our place in the mountains. Deep in the forest with no other eyes around their plots are so big and potential profit is so enormous they will not jeopardize it by letting you go with any knowledge of their activities. If it's remote enough to hide 1,000+ plants it's easy to bury bodies. Just another thing to watch out for in the woods.