PDA

View Full Version : A question on etiquette

Storm
01-11-2010, 21:08
Last week while on a day hike in North Carolina we came across a stealth campsite approximately 3 miles from the road. It was a very cold day and there were no footprints in the snow leading to or away from the site. I called out "Hello in the camp" and got no reply. I wasn't sure if we should approach the camp or not. If they were just out somewhere I didn't want to molest their site or make them think we were stealing. On the other hand I felt like checking the tent to make sure no one was inside. Of course I didn't want to get shot either. We decided to just keep walking.

Is there a proper way to approach someone's camp site?

Hooch
01-11-2010, 21:15
Just leave 'em alone. They're none of your concern, so why bother them to begin with?

max patch
01-11-2010, 21:18
I don't know what Emily Vanderbilt or Emily Post would say as to what the "proper" thing to do is, but as for myself, when someone has a stealth site I assume they don't want to be bothered so I just keep hiking and don't say anything and don't approach the site.

Marta
01-11-2010, 21:18
Most likely it's abandoned gear. That happens surprisingly frequently.

It is weird to run across that. We saw one in Georgia over New Year's weekend. The trail maintainer for that section asked if we knew who might have abandoned the tent, which we, of course, did not. He said he'd probably have to go break it down and pack it out.

You might want to report it to the ATC, who can notify the local club that there's a campsite that needs to be cleaned up.

SGT Rock
01-11-2010, 21:19
Agreed. If they stealthed, they meant to be left alone.

Marta
01-11-2010, 21:20
In defense of the original poster, I think the key point was that there were no footprints in the snow around the camp, which argues that either there was no one inside, or that the person inside was very ill, or dead.

sbhikes
01-11-2010, 21:35
Some people set up camp near town so they can go into town for supplies. Their actual camp may be many miles from town and this is just a stop-over while they get more supplies.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2010, 21:36
Last week while on a day hike in North Carolina we came across a stealth campsite approximately 3 miles from the road. It was a very cold day and there were no footprints in the snow leading to or away from the site. I called out "Hello in the camp" and got no reply. I wasn't sure if we should approach the camp or not. If they were just out somewhere I didn't want to molest their site or make them think we were stealing. On the other hand I felt like checking the tent to make sure no one was inside. Of course I didn't want to get shot either. We decided to just keep walking.

i'd of gone right up to the tent and checked it out. absolutely

Bronk
01-11-2010, 21:53
I would have done exactly what you did, yell "hello in camp" and walked right up to the tent...if no response, I would have said "does anybody need any help in there?" and then gone ahead and opened the tent if nobody replied.

If anybody was in there all they would have had to say was "I'm OK, please leave me alone."

I was going down a river one time and saw a giant safe laying in the river in about 2ft of water...the door was open and it was filled with concrete. I've always wondered if there was a body in there.

I'd wonder the same thing if I just kept walking past a tent like that in the snow.

Spokes
01-11-2010, 21:59
Nope, you leave 'em alone. No need to announce or anything else. Not your worry.

Worried if anyone's alright? You'll know if there's something amiss when you smell "the smell". Then you call 911.

Shutterbug
01-11-2010, 22:00

It all depends on the circumstances. I remember one time I was hiking in Arkansas and came upon several large sacks of sugar in the woods. I asked no questions. I got out of there as fast as I could. I was pretty sure that the guys who were camping didn't want me to check on them.

leaftye
01-11-2010, 22:03
Announce yourself. If they refuse to answer, drop trow and drop a duce upwind of them. This is especially effective if you've recently switched to a high fiber diet.

Storm
01-11-2010, 22:13
Worried if anyone's alright? You'll know if there's something amiss when you smell "the smell". Then you call 911.

It was only about 15 degrees out and had been colder through the night so if anything had been smelling it wouldn't be smelling then.

srestrepo
01-12-2010, 00:49
i was hiking one time and i came across a very similar situation. being the intellligent being i like to pretend that i am. i went downwind to see if i could get a whiff of something bad. i called out and no response, there was fresh trash strewn about and there was a bad smell coming from somewhere. so i freaked out and called the state troopers. unfortunately for me, the operator told me to get out of there as soon as possible as there had been "a few" missing persons reports from that area.

well to make a long story short i walked back to the campsite with the state trooper, gun drawn and all. we both walked up to the tent and he reassured me that the smell was well, the smell.

upon opening the tent door, it was very apparent that some punks had been partying there the night before probably and they had left a sleeping bag in this tent that i guess they all took turns peeing, puking and dumping on.

there are a lot of things you dont understand. but i learned my lesson and i keep my nosy a$$ walking when i see stuff like that now. no need for the headache or embarassment.

white_russian
01-12-2010, 09:05
If the tents look usable leave it alone. If they are starting to come apart then start to question things.

sasquatch2014
01-12-2010, 09:07
In defense of the original poster, I think the key point was that there were no footprints in the snow around the camp, which argues that either there was no one inside, or that the person inside was very ill, or dead.

Or sleeping or not wanting to entertain visitors or ..... On and on and on.

If I were in a deep sleep and then someone comes up to my tent when I am stealthed I am going to be very very cranky. A side note to that is if they could be seen from the trail then they weren't very stealthy.

jersey joe
01-12-2010, 09:16
It's a tough call when you are presented with situations like this. I probably would have just kept on walking but would have also wondered what the deal was for the rest of the day.

Toolshed
01-12-2010, 09:26
We have hunters around here near the AT, who will setup a stealth site for a month and then just hike in on weekends.

kayak karl
01-12-2010, 09:33
Most likely it's abandoned gear. That happens surprisingly frequently.

It is weird to run across that. We saw one in Georgia over New Year's weekend. The trail maintainer for that section asked if we knew who might have abandoned the tent, which we, of course, did not. He said he'd probably have to go break it down and pack it out.

You might want to report it to the ATC, who can notify the local club that there's a campsite that needs to be cleaned up.
remember all that gear at deerpark shelter last jan. it was a little weird. i hung at the fire pit that night.

garlic08
01-12-2010, 09:34
I walked past a stealth site on the AT in the beginnings of a rain storm, and noticed the tent fly was not secure, flapping in the wind. I loudly announced myself, walked up to the tent, secured the fly. There was a damp sleeping bag in the tent. There was nothing suspicious about it. I like to think it was a careless camper out on a day trip and I may have saved him or her from a wet night. It felt like the right thing to do in those circumstances, but I would definitely be careful in those situations. If it doesn't feel right, it's not your emergency and stay away.

YoungMoose
01-12-2010, 09:35
I have never seen one set up but ive seen spots. If i ever approach one i will loudly announce myself and then just keep walking.

Pedaling Fool
01-12-2010, 09:35
Could you see their stuff from a trail? Doesn't sound too stealthy.

Spokes
01-12-2010, 09:40
I don't understand the need to get up close and personal. Apply Man Law #6 in this situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8I5IU16yfo

wudhipy
01-12-2010, 09:55
If it was that visible then it wasn't much into STEALTH to begin with.

ShakeyLeggs
01-12-2010, 10:25
One thing to keep in mind, If it is found that someone was in need of aid then by not stopping you could be charged with failure to render aid depending on the jurisdiction you are in. Pretty slim chance that but something to think about.

ShelterLeopard
01-12-2010, 13:51
It all depends on the circumstances. I remember one time I was hiking in Arkansas and came upon several large sacks of sugar in the woods. I asked no questions. I got out of there as fast as I could. I was pretty sure that the guys who were camping didn't want me to check on them.

Good thinking- I've heard that those bootleggers can get nasty...

One thing to keep in mind, If it is found that someone was in need of aid then by not stopping you could be charged with failure to render aid depending on the jurisdiction you are in. Pretty slim chance that but something to think about.

Nope, not if you didn't know they were in trouble. You can only be charged if you knew they needed help and refused assistance.

GoldenBear
01-12-2010, 14:55
> You can only be charged if you knew they needed help and refused assistance.

The law is ambiguous -- perhaps deliberately so -- and varies from state to state. In some states you are not required to do anything if you see someone in peril (and are not a professional and have no "special relationship" to the person and did nothing to cause the danger), in some states you are required to contact authorities if you witness a crime (but not an accident), and in some states you must render "reasonable" aid to anyone in need.

The best discussion of the LEGAL "duty to rescue" is at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue#United_States_common_law

In no case are you protected from "gross negligence." In general, leave rescue and movement of injured people to professionals.

Lyle
01-12-2010, 15:10
If the person were "stealth" camping, you should not have seen them. This is a minor irritant of mine when people mis-use the term "stealth camping" to mean camping away from a shelter.

Anyway, if I saw a camp like this, I would have checked whether or not someone was inside and in need of assistance. Announce yourself, if no response, investigate. I would hope someone would do likewise for me if I were disabled.

If their intention was to stealth camp, and they were found, then they weren't very good at it and deserve to be interrupted. :-)

ShelterLeopard
01-12-2010, 17:07
> You can only be charged if you knew they needed help and refused assistance.

The law is ambiguous -- perhaps deliberately so -- and varies from state to state. In some states you are not required to do anything if you see someone in peril (and are not a professional and have no "special relationship" to the person and did nothing to cause the danger), in some states you are required to contact authorities if you witness a crime (but not an accident), and in some states you must render "reasonable" aid to anyone in need.

The best discussion of the LEGAL "duty to rescue" is at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue#United_States_common_law

In no case are you protected from "gross negligence." In general, leave rescue and movement of injured people to professionals.

Yes, true. But if you do not know that someone needs assistance, you will not be charged for negligence or refusal to lend aid.

Pedaling Fool
01-12-2010, 17:09
Yes, true. But if you do not know that someone needs assistance, you will not be charged for negligence or refusal to lend aid.
That's true, there's no law that requires you to inspect a tent.

Reid
01-12-2010, 17:11
If it looks suspicious and you just get that gut feeling about something then I say check it out. Gut instincts seems to be a universal thing and more times than not turn out to be correct. If they cuss you and run you off then oh well, walk it off, but better safe than sorry IMO. If you came upon this situation in the middle of the day it would be more of concern than if it were in the morning or at night.

sasquatch2014
01-12-2010, 18:21
If it looks suspicious and you just get that gut feeling about something then I say check it out. Gut instincts seems to be a universal thing and more times than not turn out to be correct. If they cuss you and run you off then oh well, walk it off, but better safe than sorry IMO. If you came upon this situation in the middle of the day it would be more of concern than if it were in the morning or at night.

I would say the other way is the safer option. I have no idea who or what is there. Why would I put my self in a position that could compromise my safety? I am not talking about a situation where clearly someone needs your help but a random tent in the woods no thank you I'll just stay clear of that mess.

Jack Tarlin
01-12-2010, 18:27
I have come across "camps" like this many times, and usually, it's not "thru-hiker" gear, meaning it's a big car-camping tent out in the middle of nowhere, stuff hanging all over the trees, non-hiking clothes scattered everywhere like jeans and sweatshirts, lots of garbage, etc.

I suspect that in many cases, this stuff, almost always abandoned, belonged to folks who weren't hiking and who were essentially living on or just off the Trail for awhile for various reasons.

Some of these folks have serious issues and in many cases, are best avoided. In many cases, they're out there cuz they want a good leaving alone.

If you see something in the woods that truly worries or concerns you, i.e. you worry about folks perhaps being at risk, lost, hurt, or worse.....well I think it's better that you report what you saw to a local Trail club, to the ATC, a ridgerunner, or call local law enforcement, and let THEM deal with it.

This is, after all, part of their job. But don't enter or muck about with someone's else's camp and property unless you know you're welcome to do so. In certain circumstances, this could end badly.

rjridgely
01-12-2010, 18:53
years ago, while base camping at Dolly Kopp on rt. 16 in NH, my brother & I noticed, as we were packing to leave, a campsite......tent & car...that seemed very motionless. We always left people alone as we were not there for social reasons. 3 days later the park service finally checked out the site and found, if I remember correctly, 3 dead from tent heater carbon monoxide. To this day we talk about all the 'what if's' we should have done.

If anyone ever finds me tented or snow caved in a state other than motion, etc....you have my permission to check on me.

Marta
01-12-2010, 20:51
years ago, while base camping at Dolly Kopp on rt. 16 in NH, my brother & I noticed, as we were packing to leave, a campsite......tent & car...that seemed very motionless. We always left people alone as we were not there for social reasons. 3 days later the park service finally checked out the site and found, if I remember correctly, 3 dead from tent heater carbon monoxide. To this day we talk about all the 'what if's' we should have done.

If anyone ever finds me tented or snow caved in a state other than motion, etc....you have my permission to check on me.

A homeless/ill man was just found dead in his tent in upstate SC last week. Things are not always okay just because someone hasn't raised the hood and put a white flag on the antenna.

As far as not wishing to be disturbed...several people have hit at another good point: If you really, really want to get away from everyone, don't set up your campsite right next to the Appalachian Trail. Even in the winter, people will keep walking past. Some of them might be talking; some might have dogs; some might be singing; some might ask you if you're okay. If you'd hate to have that happen to you, set up your tent on the other side of the ridge, or something.

bfree
01-12-2010, 21:24
Put on your bear suit and sneak up quietly...
No wait - that's not a good idea.
Maybe you should hike on - otherwise you might get shot.

mikec
01-12-2010, 21:36
I've come across abandoned camp sites a number of times. I did not check them out but either notified authorities afterwards or, if long distance hiking, asked day hikers either on the trail or at trail heads to notify authorities.

Storm
01-13-2010, 13:42
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I thought stealth camping was anything other than at a shelter or a marked campsite. Thanks for the correction. I'm thinking we probably did the right thing. The tent was only 20 yards off the AT and there was no other gear in sight. Probably some hunters weekend site or a temp site as was suggested. Haven't heard any bad reports in the news so it was probably okay.

Old Hiker
01-13-2010, 14:22

Just so we know it's you, put up a small 3 foot x 3 foot sign with your name on it. Better yet, leave some whiskey in a tin cup outside the flaps. ;)

peakbagger
01-13-2010, 14:53
Aobut 10 years ago on a section hike we met a NOBO at Pico Cabin. We were eating supper and were shooting the breeze. After a few minutes and discussing his short mileage the day before, he mentioned, "I found a dead guy yesterday". Apparently he was at shelter south of Killiington and noticed a tent the night when he came into camp and didnt see anyone around. The next morning he went over to see if everything was okay as he had not heard or seen anyone at the tent. The tents door was facing into the woods, so he walked around and saw a person lying there and it was obvious by the looks that person was dead. He saw a cell phone next to the body so he picked it up and called 911 and got the VT state trooper dispatcher who wanted to know the street address. After explaining he was out in the woods at an AT shelter and had no idea on an address he was shuttled to a couple of people before one of them had a clue. They also insisted that he had to stay until someone showed up. Eventually some official showed up asked a few questions, checked an ID and let him go on his way.

His general observation was, "probably worse places to die then in a tent on the AT".

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 14:58
Right about that- I found a dead man next to a sidewalk in Moscow. (Might've been Saint Peterburg, actually) Didn't call anyone though, because I had no idea how to say "there's a dead man" in Russian. And didn't think the police would do anything.

It was very creepy though- this guy was lying on the ground with his pants around his knees, and a child's pink backpack next to him on the ground. At first I thought he was just dead drunk, but he was definitely actually dead.

Looked for a police officer for ages and couldn't find one. Ironically, he was lying next to the wall of a cemetery.

mbrameld
01-13-2010, 15:21
Something I've been wondering about and I guess this thread is as good as any to ask about it as it occurs very often here at WB. When you're reading a thread and see something stated by someone else, what's the point in restating the exact same thing, perhaps only changing the wording a bit. In this thread it's the fact that "if they were stealth camping they weren't very stealthy". It was repeated at least 5 times in this thread. Just curious as to why...

sasquatch2014
01-13-2010, 15:22
Something I've been wondering about and I guess this thread is as good as any to ask about it as it occurs very often here at WB. When you're reading a thread and see something stated by someone else, what's the point in restating the exact same thing, perhaps only changing the wording a bit. In this thread it's the fact that "if they were stealth camping they weren't very stealthy". It was repeated at least 5 times in this thread. Just curious as to why...

And you say your from Texas! Bigger is better you should know that so if we all repeat the same thing lots of times we get a bigger thread count.:rolleyes:

mbrameld
01-13-2010, 15:26
...A side note to that is if they could be seen from the trail then they weren't very stealthy.

Could you see their stuff from a trail? Doesn't sound too stealthy.

If it was that visible then it wasn't much into STEALTH to begin with.

If the person were "stealth" camping, you should not have seen them.

So what I think you guys are saying is that they weren't being too stealthy but I'm not sure. Maybe somebody else could say whether or not they were being stealthy because I don't think it's been repeated enough...

:confused::confused:

mbrameld
01-13-2010, 15:27
And you say your from Texas! Bigger is better you should know that so if we all repeat the same thing lots of times we get a bigger thread count.:rolleyes:

Ah, gotcha, makes sense now :)

Lyle
01-13-2010, 15:59

Probably because people do not read the entire thread before they make a comment. Therefore multiple people come up with the same statement.

Also if every comment were only recorded once, how would the OP, or whoever was researching, judge how prevalent or relavent an opinion was? For example:

Someone asks about what is the preferred tent/pack/opinion on etiquette for such and such. If all those who thought the Double Rainbow was the best, but since it had already been mentioned they refrained, then every tent/pack/opinion would each get one vote. What good would that be?

Tinker
01-13-2010, 16:31

Don't mess with a feller makin' likker! :D

Tinker
01-13-2010, 16:37
In response to the OP, and, unlike him, having the spare time to weigh the decision, I think I would have chucked a snowball at the tent (from behind a tree, maybe) once they didn't respond to my repeated calls. No footprints in the snow (I'm assuming the snow wasn't newfallen, and that it wasn't early in the day) would make a person wonder.
It probably was a weekly (weekend) retreat for local kids or hunters which had been set up for weeks, but you never know.......

TheTank
01-13-2010, 16:39

A good point, but I find what is more annoying is when the same person makes 2 posts that say the same thing. For example post 42 and 44 on this thread.

sasquatch2014
01-13-2010, 16:48
In response to the OP, and, unlike him, having the spare time to weigh the decision, I think I would have chucked a snowball at the tent (from behind a tree, maybe) once they didn't respond to my repeated calls. No footprints in the snow (I'm assuming the snow wasn't newfallen, and that it wasn't early in the day) would make a person wonder.
It probably was a weekly (weekend) retreat for local kids or hunters which had been set up for weeks, but you never know.......

Ah the good old "Shot Across the Bow" approach!

Graywolf
01-13-2010, 16:50
After reading several of these posts, I now see how unsensitive hikers have become..Too many here I read, "Leave them alone", "Walk on by".etc.etc.etc.

By reading the OP, it was very cold, no foot prints were there, I think I too would have yelled out, "Is anyone there,", "need help?"" etc.etc..

I hope none of you people are in a position where you need help..That would not be good..

Just a concerned hiker...

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:28
Tinker, I like your method!

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:29
And Graywolf- I'd check (personally), but try to be subtle about it. Not too loud, or too aggresive.

mbrameld
01-14-2010, 09:45
A good point, but I find what is more annoying is when the same person makes 2 posts that say the same thing. For example post 42 and 44 on this thread.

I see what you did there...

Doooglas
01-14-2010, 10:49

The floor of a trailer wont handle all that weight.
They have to do it in the woods.

Pedaling Fool
01-14-2010, 12:42
A couple thoughts,

1. Why would animals dig up TP, but not leaves? Isn't it the smell of the crap that attracts them? (BTW, I'm skeptical of how big of a problem this is, except in areas where there's a community dump spot). I have seen mice run through the bottom of privies.

2. Depending on the leaf, generally leaves take longer to decompose than TP. Does that make leaves more of an environmental problem?

Anyone that thinks TP is a problem for the environment just doesn't understand. Just like most environmentalist, they are penny wise, but pound foolish:rolleyes:

Pedaling Fool
01-14-2010, 12:47
...Does that make leaves more of an environmental problem? ...
BTW, this was a sarcastic remark, the fact that I must emphasis that is pathetic.

Powder River
01-14-2010, 18:59
A couple thoughts,

1. Why would animals dig up TP, but not leaves? Isn't it the smell of the crap that attracts them? (BTW, I'm skeptical of how big of a problem this is, except in areas where there's a community dump spot). I have seen mice run through the bottom of privies.

2. Depending on the leaf, generally leaves take longer to decompose than TP. Does that make leaves more of an environmental problem?

Anyone that thinks TP is a problem for the environment just doesn't understand. Just like most environmentalist, they are penny wise, but pound foolish:rolleyes:

You lost me here.

Highpointbound
01-14-2010, 19:27
I would say the other way is the safer option. I have no idea who or what is there. Why would I put my self in a position that could compromise my safety? I am not talking about a situation where clearly someone needs your help but a random tent in the woods no thank you I'll just stay clear of that mess.

How would you even know they were in need of help if they were INSIDe the tent and unable to respond??

It's easy to understand how some people can have the "just mind your business" attitude.

There have been a number of instances over the years in the news where people have been hurt..for instance actually run over by a motor vehicle.. and people just stood around and looked or just kept walking and didn't even try to help the injured person. Once in a while you will se video of something like that, and wonder how no one even goes over to see if they can help.

So, if people wont even care if you get hurt right under their noses, I suppose they darn well won't check a tent that has no footprints around it to make sure no one is in there dead or hurt. :rolleyes:

Amazing.

beakerman
01-14-2010, 19:35
A couple thoughts,

Good point john but you want that other thred this one is about walkingin on someones camp not kybo habits.

sasquatch2014
01-14-2010, 19:38
How would you even know they were in need of help if they were INSIDe the tent and unable to respond??

It's easy to understand how some people can have the "just mind your business" attitude.

There have been a number of instances over the years in the news where people have been hurt..for instance actually run over by a motor vehicle.. and people just stood around and looked or just kept walking and didn't even try to help the injured person. Once in a while you will se video of something like that, and wonder how no one even goes over to see if they can help.

So, if people wont even care if you get hurt right under their noses, I suppose they darn well won't check a tent that has no footprints around it to make sure no one is in there dead or hurt. :rolleyes:

Amazing.

I don't know If I saw a backpacker run over by a vehicle I guess I would help unless I have a big mile day planned then I would just wait till I passed a shelter and put a note in the log.

So anytime there is no sign of activity by a tent I should go over and snoop around in case someone is hurt? i guess i should take all side trails too just in case someone is lost and needs my help. I will try to make sure and check the bottom of all cliffs too. People do fall sometimes.

If it is clear to me that someone is in need then I will do what I can to help but I am not going to go looking for situations. If this makes me some kind of inhumane monster then so be it I will deal with it.

Nean
01-14-2010, 19:44
A couple thoughts,

Everybody knows TP is good for the environment PLUS its sooo beeeautiful! One would have to be foolish not to agree.:D

beakerman
01-14-2010, 19:48
It depends on the situation: if there was something that just didn't feel right like bags of sugar, corn or bails of pot laying around (as mentioned previously), if the snow had fallen the previous night and it was early morning or even if they were just too far off the trail to see that there were no tracks around the camp (I never assume folks stop for just one night) I would have been loud enough to be heard and asked permission to enter camp...failing a response I would have gone over to check it out.

The fact that he failed at stealh camping negates his expectation of not being acknowledged if for no other reason than to say hey---you're not as far off the trail as you think you are. I do this all the time here in TX. When I see a camper set up close to the trail I always talk to them as I come through. If they don't want that then they should make 100% certain they are indeed off the trail.

Others commented that it could just be a hunter or kids camp--ok fine it's a no blood no foul situation. If you are foolish enough to leave something of real value out in the woods for a week then you should not be surprized when you go back to where it was it ain't there anymore.

Either way you are just going in to make sure they don't need help. If someone can't deal with that then they truely need to get out more. I would hope that one of you all would come by and rattle my set up to see if I'm still alive.

Pedaling Fool
01-15-2010, 08:38
A couple thoughts,

Sorry, I'm lost. Does anyone know the directions to...

Wise Old Owl
01-15-2010, 09:21
Wow, now my steath camp requires a sign? How about ...

Keep on Hiking!

Rockhound
01-15-2010, 09:26

It was only about 15 degrees out and had been colder through the night so if anything had been smelling it wouldn't be smelling then.
The smell? I want to call 911 every time I smell a hiker

stumpknocker
01-15-2010, 09:30
I've also come across numerous abandoned tents because I walk out of the "normal" hiking season a lot. It's pretty easy to tell whether a tent has been set up for a few days with no one around. I check them out just to make sure no one died. Everyone I've checked on had seemingly been abandoned.

beakerman
01-15-2010, 12:14
I don't know If I saw a backpacker run over by a vehicle I guess I would help unless I have a big mile day planned then I would just wait till I passed a shelter and put a note in the log.

So anytime there is no sign of activity by a tent I should go over and snoop around in case someone is hurt? i guess i should take all side trails too just in case someone is lost and needs my help. I will try to make sure and check the bottom of all cliffs too. People do fall sometimes.

If it is clear to me that someone is in need then I will do what I can to help but I am not going to go looking for situations. If this makes me some kind of inhumane monster then so be it I will deal with it.

See this is where things get hinky in TX we don't get that much snow down here so the footprints rule does not apply, but where there is snow then I do make an effort to check on folks...they might be having a problem and can't reply.

I'm not saying go out of your way to find these folks but if you can see a tent set up from the trail--now I 'm not talking way off in the distance--that is a judgement call, my rule of thumb is if they are close enough that I could comfortably talk to them from the trail--then yeah I give a "shout out' jsut to let them know I'm there and to tell them in a subtle way they are not as far off the trail as they think.

Humans, whether any of us admit it or not actually crave talking...Before any of you "antisocials" jump up and take offence to that statment: how many of you talk to yourselves--you are just socializing with yourself because for what ever reason there is nobody else to do it with. So the fact that a campsite is in my rule of thumb and i'm trying to talk with you is normal human behaviour.

Growing up camping we (my family) always socialized with campers around us or passing through. I still do this. when i camp at an established campsite I always talk with the folks around me. i talk to hunters and bikers when I hike. i talk to the waitress that brings me my hot wings and beer. Basically i will strike up conversation with anyone....maybe I'm weird and that is why I see no problems with checking on a campsite the looks "wrong".

AUhiker90
01-16-2010, 20:56
I would have checked i assume all they are going to do is be rude at the worst unless its some psycho but doubtfull

paradoxb3
01-18-2010, 18:34

IF you had found them beforehand, wouldnt they have just said "we're fine, thanks" or similar? And really, if you HAD managed to walk up in that window of a few minutes that could have made a difference, would you more than likely assumed them to be just asleep? I know I try not to wake other people... Just a thought...

weary
01-18-2010, 23:51
i'd of gone right up to the tent and checked it out. absolutely
Wolf. Is right!

brian2o0o
01-20-2010, 11:24
I walk right past all the camps i see... unless the tent is rotten and falling apart or something. I have had a hunter come into my camp early one morning(before daylight) unannounced and start unzipping my tent to find me and my friend half asleep scrambling around looking for a light and weapon. The hunter said he was seeing if someone was inside. Wasn't too happy about it, but what can u do when there's a armed guy opening ur tent door. So... I don't mess with other peoples stuff.