PDA

View Full Version : Just the Basics(Pratical AT Hiker)

gweet4
09-13-2004, 02:32
I've read close to every thread in this forum, but haven't found what I'm looking for. So here it is and its long.

I need the most basic advice and recomendations for hiking the whole AT.

I have never backpacked ever. I plan on hiking the AT from GA ot ME in 2005.
I've read enough posts about what to expect and what you need to complete the trail to the point where I feel I have a good understanding of how to accomplish what I need to accomplish and what to expect every step of the way. The problem is, my no experience assumptions worry me a little. So I need advice from, not the most experienced hiker per say, but the most sucessful pratical hiker ON THE AT

What I mean is, I need advice like:

"Don't carry a water filter, I know plenty of people who drank w/o and had no problems" ........as opposed to ........."drinking water untreated might cause illness, and is highly detrimental to your health." ....or....

"Don't bring pants, you can hike in shorts, (or kilt) no matter how cold it is" as oppoosed to " you really should have a pair of pants, its only 2 more oz's and 5 more dollars".

.......and.........

"You don't need that 200 dollar bag, this 50 dollar bag worked for me on the whole AT"

But none of,... "this probably would work" ....as I don't want to rely on speculation.

Understanding that I know the consequences of such actions and accept that I am putting myself in potential danger. I still think its possible for a certain type of individual to be fortunate enough to the point where he probably won't feel ill from drinking untreated water, or he won't get sick b/c he wore shorts in freezing tempuratures, and knowing that he could, doesn't bother him. He'll worry about that when it happens and accept it.

I will evaluate every suggestion as to, the importance of relevance, just in case a suggestion is a little over the top. I would also like to hear the possible consequence of what would happen as well by not doing a certain thing.

:cool:

I've read and done some homework, but the bottom line is, some hikers are risky(which I probaby don't recomend) and others take the precautions to ensure a nice peaceful, intelliigent some-what worry free journey(which I think is the way to go).

Unfortunately for me, I'm a risk taker, which means I don't want to carry a water filter if I don't absolutely have to. And I don't want to carry maps, if I don't have to. It seems like with so many people on the trail that if you had a question about something real specific or important, that you could ask anybody around you. But don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about relying on asking a hiker every little question when you are confused or uncertain.

But then again, I get the impression that there has to be a bunch of experienced hikers you'll run into that just want to share their knowledge with someone like me, b/c I know absouletyl nothing about hiking, and they would want to shed some wisdom on a thirsty novice hiker. Would this be correct?

Without going into the pros and cons of everything, I'm looking for good pratical advice, or shortcuts to packing that you have done, and only pertaining to the AT, no other trail. I prefer to hear from someone like me, who is not really a hiker, and or only hiked the AT and no other trail. But I am open to any and all advice from everyone. I feel a thru hiker who only hiked the AT and no where else, will have a 1 dimensional mind for what they absolutely needed on the AT, . Which is what I'm looking for, decisions on the A.T. only, not trails in general or safe hiking in general, b/c I may never hike again after this.

This is my first post and don't want to step on any bad etiquette here. If this is inappropriate, I apologize, if this is too long, I apologize, as I am not experienced, but I want to experience this and will truly appreciate every step I make towards Katahdin and can not wait for the day when I do, which is probably Feb 14, 05 Valentines Day.

So if anyone knows of any shortcuts for less preparation I greatly welcome them. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

P

SGT Rock
09-13-2004, 05:54
I have never backpacked ever. I plan on hiking the AT from GA ot ME in 2005.

OK, my first advice is go backpacking. If you are about to commit 4-6 months to do something like the Appalachian trail, I really think you ought to find out if you really like hiking in the first place. If you don't like hiking, you are sentencing yourself to a long period of discomfort just to day you completed the trail OR you are planning yourself into quitting a hike. Simply go hiking for a 3 or 4 day weekend on some stuff like you would encounter on the AT.

"Don't carry a water filter, I know plenty of people who drank w/o and had no problems" ........as opposed to ........."drinking water untreated might cause illness, and is highly detrimental to your health." ....or....

Do this: start with iodine pills. They are cheap, they work, and they are light. If you treat your water by the directions, it will leave some taste. So take some vitamin C pills, after the water is treated, you put some of this in the water to kill the taste - also cheap and light. After a couple days on the trail you can decide you want a filter or decide if that works for you. If you haven't backpacked ever, I would recommend waiting until you have some experience before just drinking untreated because you haven't seen what is out there. If you are hiking NOBO and decide you need a filter, you can pick one up at Neels Gap.

"Don't bring pants, you can hike in shorts, (or kilt) no matter how cold it is" as opposed to " you really should have a pair of pants, its only 2 more oz's and 5 more dollars".

Do this: wear shorts and bring rain pants. If you need pants you have them, if you decide later you don't need them, mail them home. But at least you have both options and the pants serve a dual purpose - it is what I do.

"You don't need that 200 dollar bag, this 50 dollar bag worked for me on the whole AT"

Do you have a bag? If you do, evaluate if it has the rating you need and is at a weight you can live with. Your bag is your last line of defense against hypothermia and it should always have a good rating that will keep you warm. But since you have little experience with this, you don't know your comfort zone. I sleep cold, so a 20 degree bag for me is like a 30 for someone else, I have a son that is worse than me, and another that sleeps hot with a Wal-Mart bag like a blanket inside a hammock. You can get a $50 bag or you might want a $300 bag depending on this. Me, I go for the $300 bag because of the lightest weigh (less than 2 pounds) and outstanding rating - 20F.

Understanding that I know the consequences of such actions and accept that I am putting myself in potential danger. I still think its possible for a certain type of individual to be fortunate enough to the point where he probably won't feel ill from drinking untreated water, or he won't get sick b/c he wore shorts in freezing temperatures, and knowing that he could, doesn't bother him. He'll worry about that when it happens and accept it.

Exactly. Any gear we carry may not always live up to comfort in 100% of situations unless we pack 100 pounds of stuff. But, we can anticipate and know what our levels of comfort are and plan our gear accordingly. Saying that, a backpacker could be in a comfort zone the entire hike with only 10 pounds of gear if he/she knows what to likely expect and what they can live with or without. This is where experience will come in. If you start off without any experience you will be a veteran by the time you reach Damascus.

I've read and done some homework, but the bottom line is, some hikers are risky(which I pro baby don't recommend) and others take the precautions to ensure a nice peaceful, intelligent some-what worry free journey(which I think is the way to go).

Just take folks definition of "risk" with a grain of salt. Some people on the light weight end (like me) think the guys with 50 pound packs are taking an everyday increased risk of stress injury or fall because of unneeded weight. Guys on the other end think the light guys risk hypothermia or some other problem where their gear falls short because they don't have enough stuff in their pack. The truth is going off into the woods can be a risk even for a veteran, but it usually is perfectly safe. There is a risk even getting on the interstate to get to the trail. I think the higher risk is going backpacking without any experience - you really ought to do a shake down hike or two.

Think of it like this - you have never driven a car, only ridden in one a couple of times, but you have seen others in cars and read about it in a website. You decide to become a truck driver and go to websites to learn everything there is to know about trucking and you are going to buy your truck and take it out straight to work in March 2005. A prudent person would recommend you try learning something about truck-driving with hands on experience before investing all that money and starting to work.

Unfortunately for me, I'm a risk taker, which means I don't want to carry a water filter if I don't absolutely have to. And I don't want to carry maps, if I don't have to. It seems like with so many people on the trail that if you had a question about something real specific or important, that you could ask anybody around you. But don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about relying on asking a hiker every little question when you are confused or uncertain.

Don't carry a filter, but until you learn, don't go without treating. On the other hand, even though you are a risk taker - you ought to have a bail out plan, safety plan, etc. I assume you will bring a first aid kit - 3-6 ounces of stuff that you will need just in case. I assume you will want some repair stuff like a needle and thread, duct tape, and super glue. You bring those because **** happens. Maps and a compass are the same way. A map for the AT averages 2.9 ounces, and you can get a .5 ounce compass. Carry them and if you don't need them, don't get it out. I personally love maps and feel that not only are they a good safety item, they are like a free library. I can get my map out on a break, and spend an hour orienting myself to the terrain around me, looking at what I have been over, and where I am going. There are people that get annoyed by folks that didn't bring their own maps but constantly ask to see yours.

But then again, I get the impression that there has to be a bunch of experienced hikers you'll run into that just want to share their knowledge with someone like me, b/c I know absolutely nothing about hiking, and they would want to shed some wisdom on a thirsty novice hiker. Would this be correct?

Yes, but you will also get the know-it-alls that will always continue to give advice after you no longer want it, and they will be the folks that are just total pills about giving advice.

Without going into the pros and cons of everything, I'm looking for good practical advice, or shortcuts to packing that you have done, and only pertaining to the AT, no other trail. I prefer to hear from someone like me, who is not really a hiker, and or only hiked the AT and no other trail. But I am open to any and all advice from everyone. I feel a thru hiker who only hiked the AT and no where else, will have a 1 dimensional mind for what they absolutely needed on the AT, . Which is what I'm looking for, decisions on the A.T. only, not trails in general or safe hiking in general, b/c I may never hike again after this.

You must think about this - to hike the AT you must become a "real hiker". Hiking for that distance isn't a part time occupation. I also would hope that if you hike that long, you will continue to hike after that, it is an addiction.

This is my first post and don't want to step on any bad etiquette here. If this is inappropriate, I apologize, if this is too long, I apologize, as I am not experienced, but I want to experience this and will truly appreciate every step I make toward Katahdin and can not wait for the day when I do, which is probably Feb 14, 05 Valentines Day.

No toes stepped on at all.

So if anyone knows of any shortcuts for less preparation I greatly welcome them. I look forward to hearing from you.

The truth is you don't need any preparation if you don't want to do any. I just wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you,
P

Your welcome

Chappy
09-13-2004, 07:10
Recommend you check SGT Rock's site: http://hikinghq.net
Tons of info there!

Stan Johnson
09-13-2004, 08:52
Just wanted to add... I think the most important info I could pass along, and it is at the top of Sgt Rock's list.... Get out and do a few 2 or 3 day trips with the gear you think you will be taking on the AT. A couple years back, some friends of mine wanted to join me on one of my trips on the AT. I insisted they spend 2 weekends in the woods with me, hiking before they ventured out on the AT. The first trip, everything was a struggle for them and a couple found out the boots they bought would never work. There were quite a few gear changes after that first hike. (a piece of gear that is great for one person might be unbearable for another). The second weekend trip, everyone was much more comfortable, more relaxed setting up there tent, using their stove, pacing themselves through the miles. A few pieces of gear were changed after this trip but no major items.
Can you just buy gear and start... yes... but, your start will be much more enjoyable if you have already; set up your tent and slept in it, cooked a few meals on the stove you want to use, put a few miles on the boots you want to wear, and slept in the sleeping bag in temps that will be close to what you will experience starting out.
If you hike north from springer your first good spot to make gear changes is 3 days out. You really dont want to be miserable the first 3 days of your hike.
Getting ideas from other hikers as to what gear to use is a good idea, but the real test, is to get out there with the gear for the weekend, where if something just doesnt work for you (like boots), you have an easy exit.
I could give you a list of the gear I use but other hikers would look at the list and want things changed.... some hike heavy, some light, some ultra-light, these are choices you have to make and you will never know for sure until you get out there.
I guess I said all of this only to say....test the water before you jump in.:-?

Spirit Walker
09-13-2004, 09:38
I would really agree with the above. Get out now and go backpacking, every chance you get. A lot of hikers never make it past Springer, as they discover that they really don't like hiking or camping very much. Starting in February is a winter start. You will be dealing with cold and snow for the first three months of your hike. What better preparation than going out in October and November and finding out whether your gear is able to keep you warm and dry in those kinds of conditions. Thruhiking a trail means walking all day every day, for 150 -180 days. How much do you like hiking? If you don't like it enough to do it now, when you can go home at the end of the weekend and get clean and dry and rest up again, why do you think you'll like it after three solid weeks of hiking in the rain?

As you note - you like to take risks. That means you will have to take the consequences. Do you have the money to take two weeks off to heal from giardia? Do you mind being lost and doing extra miles as a result? Are you able (financially and physically) to get off the trail frequently because your $50 bag isn't warm enough to handle the blizzard that hit while you are walking through the Smokies?

Ask 10 hikers what you should carry and you'll probably get 15 answers. For every item, there are at least two sides of the issue. We can each say, "this worked for me" -- but that doesn't mean it will work for you. i.e. I like knowing where I am and where the side trails go and what mountains I am looking at. To me, hiking without a map is hiking blind. There is enough 'long green tunnel' on the AT without having no clue what is coming up. But that's me. I love maps, and like Sgt. Rock I am quite happy to spend hours looking at them, pondering the names and places, considering alternate routes, etc. But some folks like to just get on the AT treadmill and hike blaze to blaze without any curiousity of what else is out there. It's up to you.

NotYet
09-13-2004, 09:41
Without going into the pros and cons of everything, I'm looking for good pratical advice, or shortcuts to packing that you have done, and only pertaining to the AT, no other trail. I prefer to hear from someone like me, who is not really a hiker, and or only hiked the AT and no other trail. But I am open to any and all advice from everyone. I feel a thru hiker who only hiked the AT and no where else, will have a 1 dimensional mind for what they absolutely needed on the AT, . Which is what I'm looking for, decisions on the A.T. only

There are many perspectives on what is "absolutely needed on the AT". It seems to me that what is absolutely needed is different for each individual. So, it's helpful to get out in the woods to try out different gear and different techniques in order to find out what you believe you need to be safe and successful.

I believe that in the woods, a one-dimensional perspective can get a person into a lot of trouble. Things happen out there. The broader your perspective and understanding of backpacking, wilderness travel, gear limitations and creative uses of gear, the better off you'll be. I believe that the most important gear in the woods is good judgement, and the best way to acquire that is through experience. If you are able to do so, take Sgt. Rock's advice and do some practice hikes! No matter what the trail is, this will give you some practical knowledge about what you are getting yourself into.

There are people who hike the trail successfully without any prior backpacking experience...but I'd bet that they have a less enjoyable first few weeks and a lower success rate. I highly recommend increasing your enjoyment and your odds by trying out the activity first!

Good luck on your trip! I hope your hike is a wonderful experience!

p.s. If you find yourself "borrowing" other thru-hikers' maps and/or guidebooks, you might consider sharing a Snickers bar with them (they purchased & lugged this stuff in so you didn't have to). Most hikers are very happy to share information, but it's wise to go into the woods prepared. If you find that you want info from guides or maps often, you probably should be carrying these items with you. :)

Jersey Bob
09-13-2004, 09:41
at least 10 characters

Grimace
09-13-2004, 13:09
Don't buy food ahead of time - buy at grocery stores along the way. Cosequence, may not always get what you like but saves time going to the P.O.

Carry maps, knowing elevation profiles and knowing escape routes is necessary in accurately planning your day

Like everyone else above said, practice

Carry trekking poles. pressure taken off knees and legs is well worth extra cost and weight

Treat water, so many things are uncontrollable in the wilderness. Why risk something that is? I use Aqua Mira for an effective, tastless way, to treat water. Consequence, carry an extra 3 oz and wait 20 min before you drink. Whoop de do

Start slow. Even if you are in the best shape of your life, starting too quickly and pushing too hard in the beginning will lead to injuries and burn out.

Don't rely on other people to set your schedule, pace, or budget. Too many people get caught up in the wrong crowd and are forced to spend more money that anticipated or hike faster than wanted.

Do leave no trace. Don't relieve yourself near water, do pack out your trash, do stay on the trail.

Bring a pair of camp socks. Cleanish socks that you don't hike in will keep you warmer.

rocket04
09-13-2004, 13:16
I thru-hiked this year and had never backpacked before, so I know somewhat what you're talking about. I also did not do any practice runs. The most I did was go out with a pack that had all my gear in it but no food, so substantially lighter than what I started out with. In the end, your need to go out may depend on how well you know yourself, how much faith you have in your will power. At no point in my entire hike did I feel unprepared or unable to cope with a situation. Which isn't to say I didn't have much to learn, on the contrary, I learned things every day. But as far as my safety was concerned, I felt I could deal with all situations, which I did. I never ran out of food, I got unexpected snow in Georgia but was equipped to deal with it, etc. Chances are, you're going to get some things wrong and have to deal with it on the way.

I started with a backpack that was misfitted and had to buy another one on the way, which I resisted for 700 miles but in the end I thought it was the smart thing to do.

I also started with a 4 pound tent, which seemed reasonable at the beginning because I set 40 pounds as my max pack weight and I was within that limit. But after seeing how little I used the tent, I switched to a tarp after Damascus to save on weight.

I took both water filter and aquamira, in retrospect I would go just with the aquamira. I took zipoff pants but only really used them as pants for the first few days, after which I was in shorts all the way. And I didn't take rain pants and never missed them.

I would recommend to be careful if you switch bags when it gets warmer. I switched to a fleece bag in Pearisburg and it was a mistake, I was cold for weeks at night. Live and learn...

I was poorly advised on footwear and started out with a pair of fairly heavy duty Lowa boots that killed my right achilles tendon in the first week. I had to hike for days on painkillers until I reached Franklin and bought some Merrell shoes that were much better for me. You don't need heavy duty boots, and what you get should probably be dictated by what you know of yourself (do you have strong ankles, flat feet, etc.) and just the comfort of the shoe when you try them on.

I didn't have trekking poles, one of the very few thru-hikers left that didn't have any. I was too cheap to get some, but I plan on getting some now. I have no knee problems, but I believe having poles will ensure that things stay that way! The Whites and Maine are particularly brutal on the knees and the poles are also great to propel you up and also for the few fords you'll have to do in Maine. Look for a company that has a good warranty, Leki is apparently very good at replacing poles, if I recall people told me they're guaranteed lifetime.

I didn't take maps or bear spray, after reading posts I figured it was worth saving the money and taking a chance. And I did no maildrops because my lack of experience prevented me from knowing what kind of stuff I'd want to be eating and how much. No problem re-supplying along the trail.

Everything I've said is just what I did. From what you said, you're well aware of risks involved, so you realize that only you are able to know what's best for you. In the end, your comfort level seems to dictate how you prepare for your experience. I was in great shape, so physically I was not concerned. And mentally, I knew I would love being out there, I knew I wouldn't get lonely, and I knew I wouldn't get bored. I just did. And so it was that I started April 9th and finished August 23rd, and at no point along the entire way did I consider quitting. I hiked alone most of the time, at my own pace, and although there were tough stretches, it was a great time 99% of the time.

That's how it was for me. You'll find out for yourself how things work out in your case, best of luck!

gweet4
09-13-2004, 13:37
Thanks for those who have replied so far. So far it seems that the recurring theme is to get out there and hike before I hit the AT. I guess I was thinking that I may not like it, and then decide not to hike the AT. Where as if I just went to the AT, It would already be mentally established that I am going to finish. Maybe I'm realizing I'm doing this for a different reason than most. Although I will enjoy hiking the AT, I guess I'm doing this for mental reasons more than anything. Once I say something I do it, type thing. Its a little selfish(and potentially dangerous if I don't listen to my body) but I guess it helps me know where I stand in my upcoming life as I grow older. I will take the advice of most of the suggestions, esp. about the water, and the buying at grocery stores, and still welcome more suggestions if you got em. I still have to think about taking a lil hike before, I don't want any influences going into the AT. Thanks again.

gweet4
09-13-2004, 13:44
Good Stuff, Rocket04, you may have convinced me not to bring pants, although its the one piece of gear/equipment I somehow have. I used to play soccer in freezing temps, and know what its like when legs are exposed. I'm sure pants would be nice to protect from branches or insects what not, but I'm fine with that.

rocket04
09-13-2004, 13:45
Maybe I'm realizing I'm doing this for a different reason than most. Although I will enjoy hiking the AT, I guess I'm doing this for mental reasons more than anything. Once I say something I do it, type thing.
If I were you, I'd still make sure that I'm doing this because it's gonna be fun. And fun can come in a lot of different ways. For some people, it's being out in nature. For some, it's meeting people. For others it's the challenge. For some all of the above. What you're saying sounds like you would relish the challenge. So that could be your type of fun. As long as, in the big picture, the positive is overriding the negative, go for it!

bigcat2
09-13-2004, 13:53
I just thought I would put my 2 cents in. As my disclaimer, I will admit I have not done a thru hike, but I am slowly sectioning that AT. I have come a long way since my first section 2 years ago. I agree w/ what everyone has said so far w/ the practice hikes. I now carry a lot less than when I started because I have realized I don't need it all. I try to backpack at least once a month to stay in touch. Luckily by doing this I have had to deal w/ all types of weather and conditions. I agree w/ Sgt. about the maps, they are very valuable. It's always good to know what you have coming up so you're not too surprised, unless of course you enjoy all of life's surprises. :) Of course, the more you're on the trail, the more you'll learn what you do and don't need/want. I would also definitely recommend trekking poles. I have a set of Leki's and they do have a good warrenty. I bent one of mine and they sent me a replacement section w/in a week w/ no questions asked. They help relieve the stress on my knees on the downs and help me blaze going up the mountains. I'm sorry if I have just been a broken record, but I know I enjoy getting good advice. It seems I learn something new everytime I go into the woods. Enjoy your hike and best of luck.

NotYet
09-13-2004, 21:57
I want to experience this and will truly appreciate every step I make towards Katahdin and can not wait for the day when I do, which is probably Feb 14, 05 Valentines Day

Hi gweet4,

I want to mention that February in the Southern Appalachians can have some nasty weather. The temperatures can fluctuate dramatically from day to day, and snows can be expected on and off through late April. The hardest thing about winter hiking in this region, however, is not the snow; it's the rain! It can get very wet and stay very wet for a long time here, and, of course, the combination of wet and cold can be very dangerous. So in winter, it's important to be careful to always keep your sleeping bag, one set of socks, a warm hat and a pair of long johns dry(keep them in plastic). Be sure to use this set of items only for sleeping, even if that means changing into damp clothes the next morning...you need to be able to sleep dry, and your body will usually dry out the damp items once you start to move along the trail and warm up.

Many hikers with lots of backpacking experience are very surprised at how difficult and different it is to hike/camp in cold, wet weather. Because you are beginning your hike during winter months, it's even more important that you work out any "gear kinks" ahead of time. Plus, do not hit the trail that time of year without good rain pants and rain jacket (you'll still get wet, but it'll help).

I love hiking here during all seasons; so I'm not trying to disuade you from a February start. Just wanted to give you the heads up! Good luck out there, and do some research on winter camping techniques if you haven't already done so.

gweet4
09-13-2004, 22:06
Thank you. Trekkiing poles, maps and probably rain pants have just been added to my list. Maps, I agree, after reading your posts about relaxing and seeing the journey you have made, and what lies ahead can be very satisfying. I can't wait for that moment.

hustler
09-13-2004, 22:34
Gear and practice will only do so much for you. I saw so many people who were way stronger and had much better gear than I drop off. I also met several people along my 2004 thru hike that had never camped or backpacked a day in their life and made it the whole way. This has some advantages because you have no bad habits to break. Two keys I found to thru hiking: First, go with the flow, adapt to whatever the trail or mother nature throws at you. I saw too many people who didn't adapt who ended up getting off trail. Second, become comfortable at being uncomfortable. This is key, even if it is the most perfect hiking conditions, there will still be something on your body that hurts or a large obstacle to overcome. 100% attitude! No Rain, No Pain, No Maine

TedB
09-13-2004, 22:35
If you are new to drinking untreated water, don't forget to bring some antidiarrhea pills, in case ***** happens.

Chip
09-13-2004, 22:41
You have been getting great advice from alot of folks who have made the AT experience their own adventure. If you take the advice you have been given and then fashion this wisdom for yourself, you too will have a unique adventure with memories that will last a lifetime. Try backpacking first to see if you like it.
If you do, then use the advice to get started. As you go along day after day you will learn something new, good or bad, easy or hard, their way or perhaps your way. Regardless that's how we all have learned over the years on many hikes. Remember experience is the teacher and sometimes we get the test before the lesson. I learn something new each time I'm out there on the trail. I think that is why I go back time and time again and also for the peace of spirit I get when I am out there. That is my main reason for being out on the trail.
I hope you will use the advise, gain the experience and enjoy the adventure.
It will add a new dimension into your life.

Best Wishes and Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

A-Train
09-13-2004, 23:06
You've gotten great advice. As Not Yet mentioned, a red flag for me is your start date of February 15th. I could tell you to wear trail runners, not bring maps, use gatorade bottles instead of nalgenes and not bring pants and the list goes on. The combination of your early start date and lack of experience in the outdoors in cold temps is a bit concerning. Allow yourself the first few weeks and months to figure out what YOU can do without. There are crazy people out there and on this site. Folks who don't need much and can hike 30 mile days and walk thru the winter etc. Backpacking gear and styles are so individual, that you've really gotta discover your own personal style. Not that you need to bring the kitchen sink, but just that you should be prepared. Always better to be over than under prepared. And if you pack some xtra crap, you can always send it home 30 miles into the trip.. Enjoy and good luck!

Flash Hand
09-14-2004, 02:57
Hiking without water filter is like driving without airbag. Knowing that you have airbag installed, will make your driving a comfortable ones. So, bring water filter will make your hiking days without headaches for making hard decision which water would be safe to drink or not.

Hiking poles are must... There is several times I flipped my ankles but poles keep me up. Poles will give you different functions for hike, like keep you from falling, clearing out overgrown grass to make sure nothing is hidden, clearing out sleeping rattlers on trail, poles will help you in some way to protect you from wildlife, setting up tent, create it into fishing pole, etc.

Make sure you take tent that would keep rainwater out! Not many happy hikers during downpour on the trail days weekend. Im the one most fortunate one with dry sleeping bag. :D

Also, dont throw bear bag with food to the branch. Do it with rock and then when you made the hook, then tie the bear bag. A hiker, who is Doctor himself, told me to thrw bearbag with food around the tree, consquences are stuck and cannot take it down and crushed food. Doctor himeself? let figure.

and, at last, HIKE your own hike!

Flash Hand :jump

rocket04
09-14-2004, 09:46
There are crazy people out there and on this site.
That's probably the best damn reason anybody's given for making sure you learn what's best for yourself! :D 'Cause I did run into such people that could comfortably do things I wouldn't have managed. Right on A-Train!

gweet4
10-18-2004, 00:31
Any more thoughts...

Even though most responses were about getting out there and practice, I understand what your saying but most likely won't do any practice hikes. The early start of Feb 14 worries me now that is has been mentioned. Trekking poles are an excellent idea. I won't bring a water filter or iodine tablets, but I will bring Imodium until my body adjusts. A Tarp tent is also under consideration, as it sounds like the way to go. If you have hiked the whole A.T. without certain things, please let me know. Thanks again.