PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike from Ga.>Me. in May?

Bloodroot
09-13-2004, 08:36
I am currently in Iraq serving a one-year tour. Hopefully, I will be returning stateside sometime in late March. I don't believe that I will have ample time to prepare for a thru hike in April, so this is forcing me to start the journey in early May. I am planning on NOBO and I have noticed many thru hikers leave much sooner than then. Will the May timeframe still be enough time to beat mother nature up north?

SGT Rock
09-13-2004, 08:45
You will be fine as long as you move smartly. Since you are starting in May you can pack lighter. Just don't let yourself get too out of shape over there.

Where are you in country?

tlbj6142
09-13-2004, 08:51
Yep. You'll have plenty of time. Still have 5.5 months to complete the hike (Katahadin typically closes in mid October).

Though if you get a bit worried, you can always flip up to Katahdin and hike south at some point during your trip.

Another thing to consider is starting in say Damascus, VA and hiking north. That way you'll be with the crowd (if that's your thing). Finish "on time" (whatever that means) and then go back and hike south from Damascus to Springer.

Besides that will give 2 chances to meet up with Lone Wolf.

Peaks
09-13-2004, 11:02
As posted, if you leave May 1, that gives you about 5 1/2 months before the weather gets questionable at Katahdin. The "average" thru-hike takes between 5 1/2 and 6 months to complete. So, will you be faster than the average, and do you want to hike faster than the average hiker? Only you knows that answer.

Days off really kill your progress to Maine. How often, and how many days to you plan to take off? The typical thru-hiker does about 1 zero a week. What's your plan for rest days?

As posted, another way to do the hike is to start somewhere in Virginia (or West Virginia), either Damascus or Harpers Ferry and hike north, and then go back as hike the southern section. That way you will not be pressed for time, and you can enjoy the benefits of good weather up north, as well as most of the south. This is certainly a smart way to do the AT unless you know your capabilites very well.

Bloodroot
09-13-2004, 11:13
Thanks for the info! I guess I never considered doing the flip-flop. I am planning for a one zero a week. Surely I don't want to feel rushed...so the flip-flop might be a great alternative. I have also considered the N>S.

chris
09-13-2004, 15:06
An early May start is fairly ideal, I believe. You get good weather in the South and get to experience Appalachia at its absolute finest, rather than when everything is brown. 5.5 months should not be a problem, although keep in mind that you can always hop up to Katahdin and hike south if you find the season getting late. By starting in May you will have far fewer hikers with you for the first month or so and lots of daylight in which to walk.

Although you might not have considered it, note that an early May start is about ideal for starting a South to North thruhike on the PCT. Planning a PCT hike is about as easy as an AT hike (meaning it can be done in about 2 hours).

Jaybird
09-13-2004, 16:55
I am currently in Iraq serving a one-year tour. Hopefully, I will be returning stateside sometime in late March. I don't believe that I will have ample time to prepare for a thru hike in April, so this is forcing me to start the journey in early May. I am planning on NOBO and I have noticed many thru hikers leave much sooner than then. Will the May timeframe still be enough time to beat mother nature up north?

Yo BloodRoot!

u can always start somewhere...like Damascus...then after summiting Mt. K....come back & pick-up @ Springer & head to Damascus or Damascus SOBO back to Springer....hike yer own hike...no matter when u start! :D

good luck & THANK YOU for your service to our GREAT COUNTRY!

orangebug
09-13-2004, 20:05
I'd be a bit concerned with hitting the "green tunnel" effect in starting at Springer in May. I'd suggest either considering SOBO or the flip flop often notied in this thread. For me, the benefit of March and April starts in GA involve more views.

However, if you are interested in flowers, ferns, other ground cover and birds, I'd go with you're initial impulse - avoiding the thru hiker wannabe crush.

Bill...

A-Train
09-13-2004, 21:25
It also depends on how affected you are by temperature. I would do a May start in a flash, but realize that a May to October hike would include the most extreme temps. Meaning you'd be starting in some intense heat down south (yes even in May) and things wouldn't get better until you go up to Northern New England. If you end up in the back of the pack thru the Whites and Maine in late sept-October you'll be dealing with some pretty cold temps. In 03' the last groups were getting nailed by snow the first week in october, nearly 2 weeks before Katahdin "closes". Just something to think about.

An April-September hike gives you the most mild temps on average.

An time you hike the AT you'll probably deal with some sort of freak weather, whether an April snowstorm or a heat wave in September or many days of rain. The wacky weather in the east combined with the length of the Trail makes it hard to avoid some interesting stuff.

rocket04
09-13-2004, 21:43
The wacky weather in the east combined with the length of the Trail makes it hard to avoid some interesting stuff.
And let's face it, it woudn't be fun if you didn't face some unexpected weather at least one time. :D For me, it was snow in Georgia on April 15th!

Flash Hand
09-14-2004, 03:13
YOu wouldn't be able to celebrate your summiting the Katahdin with champagne if you are doing a flip flop hike. Katahdin is "rewarding" in conclusion with the thru hike.

So I will go for S>N hike and finish my champagne atop Katahdin.

Flash Hand :jump

Peaks
09-14-2004, 08:04
YOu wouldn't be able to celebrate your summiting the Katahdin with champagne if you are doing a flip flop hike. Katahdin is "rewarding" in conclusion with the thru hike.

So I will go for S>N hike and finish my champagne atop Katahdin.

Flash Hand :jump

I concur, hard to beat finishing at Katahdin. The excitement of Katahdin builds all the way though Maine.

But, another way to do it is with a leap frog. Hike north until early September, and then jump ahead to Hanover for the final 5 weeks plus of your hike. After Katahdin, go back and fill in the gap.