PDA

View Full Version : Section suggestions for 4-6 day hike

msujay
01-12-2010, 07:44
I thought I would look for fresh suggestions for a 4-6 day hike any where along the AT in April or May. What are your favorite sections? We are looking to hike 10-15 miles per day.

Cookerhiker
01-12-2010, 10:34
You said "April or May" - there's a big difference between early April when conditions can be winterlike vs. late May which can be quite summery. I didn't look up where in Michigan you live but chances are the most accessible part of the Trail for you is NC/TN. I'd recommend hiking the first or second week in May to experience nice springlike conditions including myriad wildflowers and birds.

You could start at Davenport Gap and hiking north. Spivey Gap (US 19W) is 94 miles which is attainable if you hike your upper ends (6 days, 15 mpd). You could also start further north at Hot Springs and hike north to either Erwin (68 miles) or Iron Mountain Gap (87 miles). I described these hikes in a northbound direction but you could just as easily hike them southbound.

Starting at Davenport means you get to hike over Snowbird and Max Patch mountains, both featuring beautiful open summits. Starting at Hot Springs means you'll ascend Beauty Spot with its open summit and Unaka Mountain with fragrant balsam firs and lots of spring beauties and bluets.

I hiked this area in early May of '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=97360) and enjoyed it immensely despite losing my rain cover in a gust from the ridgeline of Big Firescald Knob. Fortunately I didn't need it the rest of the trip; I had perfect weather!

Good luck!

Tennessee Viking
01-12-2010, 10:38
I thought I would look for fresh suggestions for a 4-6 day hike any where along the AT in April or May. What are your favorite sections? We are looking to hike 10-15 miles per day.If you like company, then TN/NC would your place. The Thru-Hiker crowd will hit the area right around April and May.

You might want to southbound from VA down so you can get a little more privacy. Or hit the Smokies to Hot Springs in May when most thru-hikers have pass through.

msujay
01-12-2010, 20:58
If you like company, then TN/NC would your place. The Thru-Hiker crowd will hit the area right around April and May.

You might want to southbound from VA down so you can get a little more privacy. Or hit the Smokies to Hot Springs in May when most thru-hikers have pass through.

My preference is to hike south-to-north to keep the northerly direction up...what section would you suggest in VA in April?

Cookerhiker
01-12-2010, 21:13
My preference is to hike south-to-north to keep the northerly direction up...what section would you suggest in VA in April?

There are several options for hikes of your desired duration in VA - the state breaks down into segments rather nicely. No doubt many will say Grayson Highlands. You could hike from Damascus to the southern crossing of I-81 (Groseclose), a distance of 75 miles. Being high elevation country, April could be a bit cold.

Other Virginia options are:

Groseclose to Pearisburg - 88 miles. You can get a shuttle from the Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg.

Pearisburg to Daleville - 92 miles - a real treat with Dragon's Tooth, Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob, the Keffer Oak. Some ups and downs but some ridgewalks as well. I hiked part of this in early April '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=92490) and had a wonderful time, as expected with perfect weather with warm nights and refreshingly cool nights. The creek ford I encountered has subsequently been replaced with a bridge.

Shenandoah National Park - about 100 miles. April is well before the tourists and can feature some cold temps. But you'll see early Spring wildflowers.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2010, 21:14

damascus to mt. rogers headquarters

Chaco Taco
01-12-2010, 21:22
Gotta include the Grayson Highlands, VA

msujay
01-12-2010, 22:05
damascus to mt. rogers headquarters

Of course I forgot to mention I have already done this section.

Red River Falls
01-12-2010, 23:46
I too would recommend this section (along with Cookerhiker). I hiked from just south of Blacksburg to Daleville (near Roanoke) and did about 40+ miles in April. We were out there 4 days.

I live near Pearisburg, and there are any number of access points around here. I did that section last year in April; we had some April showers, cool nights and a warm sunny day. Good time of year, IMO, because the leaves have not filled in and there are some nice spots for views (Dragon's Tooth, McAfee Knob, and Tinker Cliffs). My brother-in-law from RI hiked with me and he really enjoyed this section. Overall, it is not overly strenuous.

If you are doing 4-6 days, you may decide to start a bit north of Pearisburg. If you decide to do this section, I can give suggestions about where to get on the trail if you don't plan to hike 100 miles.

fredmugs
01-13-2010, 10:03
When I hiked through SNP it was in early May. Awesome weather every day (lows in the low 40s at night) and not a lot of hikers on the trail. The southern way station was not open yet but the northern ones were making re-supply a lot easier.

SNP is ridiculuously easy compared to anywhere else on the trail and you can knock it out in 6 days no problem. I recommend parking at the 4-H center just past the northern boundary of ther park.

If you hike in TN any section than includes Roan Mtn and Beauty Spot will make for an enjoyable hike.

msujay
01-13-2010, 21:09
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm thinking we are either going to do SNP, Pearisburg to Daleville, or Springer-Dicks Gap.

J-Fro
01-13-2010, 23:38
I would highly suggest Hot Springs, NC to Hwy 19E. Lots of high elevation vistas. However, fairly tough 20+ mile days.

Evil Eye
01-15-2010, 09:55
While there is not a bad section mentioned - I'd agree with SNP or the Pearisburg-Daleville sections.
If you want a "less difficult" hike, regularly available prepared food, plenty of bailout points if needed - do the SNP - a really great hike.
If you want a realistic taste of an AT thru-hike - the best section in VA is Pearisburg-Daleville for all the reasons mentioned. Real hiking, some good climbs, fewer day hikers (not that there is anything wrong with them).