PDA

View Full Version : Water near Dry Sluice Gap

Bob McCaw
01-12-2010, 09:51
I'm looking for information on water near Dry Sluice Gap. A ridge runner in the Smokies told me there used to be a shelter nearby and that there was a water source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sidebackside
01-12-2010, 13:33
It depends on where your starting from. I hiked Dry Sluice not along ago via Smokemont/Bradley Fork Trail. The only shelters close to the trail are Kephart and Icewater on the AT. As I recall there weren't really any good spots to get water. I stayed the first nite off of Cabin Flats Trail which leads to a backcountry campsite. There's a creek at the campsite, which is .6miles from Bradley Fork. Depending on if your day hiking or planning to camp somewhere, Kephart and/or Icewater might be outta the way for you to re-up on water.

Smoky in TN
01-12-2010, 16:30
There is no water in Dry Sluice Gap. There is an abandoned shelter north of the gap, few people know of its existence. It has a good spring.
The trail down to the site is steep and somewhat long. The park service closed this area because of erosion. Last time I was there, nothing remained except for the stone walls. I have urged the park service to reopen this shelter, it would take some pressure off of Ice Water Springs Shelter. But they have no interest in opening shelters, only closing them.

veteran
01-13-2010, 01:19
There is no water in Dry Sluice Gap. There is an abandoned shelter north of the gap, few people know of its existence. It has a good spring.
The trail down to the site is steep and somewhat long. The park service closed this area because of erosion. Last time I was there, nothing remained except for the stone walls. I have urged the park service to reopen this shelter, it would take some pressure off of Ice Water Springs Shelter. But they have no interest in opening shelters, only closing them.

The old False Gap Shelter Site (http://terraserver-usa.com/map.aspx?t=2&s=12&lon=-83.358474&lat=35.647396&w=800&h=600)

You Tube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V6gVOgAJiw

WATER, Spring - False Gap - north (east) of Dry Sluice Gap trailhead on the AT within about one mile there is the remains of an old trail shelter at "False Gap." It is about 200' down an embankment on a switchback trail to the west of the AT, but it cannot be seen from the AT, a good spring is located here also. It is a pretty steep trail down to the old False Gap Shelter from the AT.

Bob McCaw
01-13-2010, 10:22
Thanks very much for the information. I'll check it out the next time through.

humunuku
01-13-2010, 13:17

it would be way cool if they turned it into a campground....i wonder if the smhc could make this happen?

Smoky in TN
01-13-2010, 17:35
Nice video. I haven't been there in years.