PDA

View Full Version : airport from Harper's Ferry

Chicken Feathers
01-12-2010, 10:04
Is it relativity easy to get to airport from H F :-?

Red Hat
01-12-2010, 10:11
train to DC then airport there

Tuckahoe
01-12-2010, 10:43
train to DC then airport there

THIS!! Amtrak station is right on the trail and the last time I checked a ticket was $11 and the ride about an hour to DC.

Pedaling Fool
01-12-2010, 10:55
Yes it's a very nice train ride and cheap from HF to D.C., but I'm fairly certain it doesn't run on weekends or holidays, should check into. The reason, I believe, is because it's a commuter train for employees.

white_russian
01-12-2010, 11:07
Yes it's a very nice train ride and cheap from HF to D.C., but I'm fairly certain it doesn't run on weekends or holidays, should check into. The reason, I believe, is because it's a commuter train for employees.
MARC doesn't run weekends, but Amtrak does. That does limit your options though. Amtrak only runs one daily train through HF.

Old Grouse
01-12-2010, 11:49
ALWAYS check on public transportation schedules, no matter how authoritatively you read or are told that they are available. Otherwise (like me, once) you may find yourself stranded somewhere you don't want to spend time.

Tuckahoe
01-12-2010, 12:04
The train that runs through Harpers Ferry is the Capitol Limited which runs between DC and Chicago. Though many folks do commute to DC from Harpers Ferry. I have a friend that drives an hour to Harpers Ferry and then the train to DC.

According to Amtrak the station is unstaffed and open from 5:30am-7am.

Sure only one train comes through in the morning. On the other hand I would be happy with the chance to have a day or two to decompress in Harpers Ferry before heading home.

Ox97GaMe
01-12-2010, 12:06
Don,
you can take the train to downtown DC. You will want to make sure you ticket to the right airport, as there are two in the DC area. Ronald Regan airport is downtown DC, Dullas is between HF and DC. I dont know if there is commuter train service from downtown DC to Dullas, but you can check into that. I think flights from Atlanta go into both airports about the same frequency.

Tuckahoe
01-12-2010, 12:13
Yes from Union station you can get to both Dulles or Reagan by using the DC Metro trains.

Mrs Baggins
01-12-2010, 14:32
Yes from Union station you can get to both Dulles or Reagan by using the DC Metro trains.

On Metro? To Dulles (IAD)? Isn't that under construction right now? That line won't be done for some time yet. It will add 11 new stations and go to Dulles.

You can definitely get to Reagan (DCA) on Metro and it stops right at the terminal - very easy to get off and walk right in.

Just be very careful about confusing MARC trains with Metro trains.

Mrs Baggins
01-12-2010, 14:34
http://www.dullesmetro.com/

The new line that will go to Dulles when it's done.

Tuckahoe
01-12-2010, 14:45
Ummm if you go to the trip planner on the Metro website, it gives you the schedule to use the Metro trains and bus to go from Union Station to Dulles.

Get on the Red line at Union station to Metro Center Metro Station and pick up the Blue line and take that to the Rosslyn Metro Station and from Rosslyn take the Metro bus to Dulles. Smart Fare $3.85

Mrs Baggins
01-12-2010, 16:49
Ummm if you go to the trip planner on the Metro website, it gives you the schedule to use the Metro trains and bus to go from Union Station to Dulles.

Get on the Red line at Union station to Metro Center Metro Station and pick up the Blue line and take that to the Rosslyn Metro Station and from Rosslyn take the Metro bus to Dulles. Smart Fare $3.85

Train AND bus - well, of course. But originally it came across as being able to take just the train there and I knew that couldn't be right. :-? But it will be possible -someday - whenever the connector gets done.

Pedaling Fool
01-12-2010, 17:07
...According to Amtrak the station is unstaffed and open from 5:30am-7am...
This is true (btw I think he meant 5:30am - 7pm). They treat this station as some sort of museum; I had planned to sleep in there one night so I could catch the first MARC train in the a.m., but the ranger kicked my out around 1900 (7p.m.), so I had to sleep on the cold pavement with a train passing by every hour or so.

Tuckahoe
01-12-2010, 17:47
No, I actually meant 5:30am to 7am. Atleast that is according to Amtrak's own information -- http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Hours_Popup&pAssetID=1229726269318&c=am2Station#S

Mrs Baggins, yes I meant train and bus. Sorry for the mistake, its just to me it's all the Metro.

Jester2000
01-12-2010, 18:03
This is true (btw I think he meant 5:30am - 7pm). They treat this station as some sort of museum; I had planned to sleep in there one night so I could catch the first MARC train in the a.m., but the ranger kicked my out around 1900 (7p.m.), so I had to sleep on the cold pavement with a train passing by every hour or so.

Technically, the station is part of the Harpers Ferry Historic District, which is patrolled by the Rangers, and so in a sense it is some sort of museum (the current building dates from 1889 and was recently restored). It is also on the grounds of what was the armory. I'm actually more surprised that while sleeping on the pavement you weren't rousted by the local police.

horicon
01-13-2010, 15:51
Train to DC. Then take the Metro to Regan. The last time I check the Metro does not go tto Dulles

white_russian
01-13-2010, 15:59
Another thing to remember is that you can take a train from Washington Union Station to BWI airport. They may have cheaper fares from BWI so include that in your travel options.

dovecote
01-13-2010, 22:37
I have routinely used MARC train service from Harpers Ferry in order to catch a flight out of Washington. This works well for all three airports (National-Reagan, Dulles, and BWI as long as you travel during the week as other posters have mentioned.

If going to National, take MARC to the terminus at Union Station. At Union Station get on Metro Rail and take the Red Line towards Shady Grove. Get off at the Gallery Place stop. Transfer to Yellow line in the direction of Huntington to the airport.

If going to Dulles, take MARC to the Rockville stop. In Rockville take the short walk to the connecting Metro stop. Take the Red Line towards Glenmont and get off at the Metro Center stop. Transfer to the Orange Line towards Vienna and get off at the West Falls Church stop. Get on the Washington Flyer coach bus to Dulles. Their website is http://www.washfly.com/flyer_bus_schedule.htm

If going to BWI take MARC to the terminus at Union Station. Transfer to the MARC Penn Line train and get off at the BWI station. If going this route tell the conductor you want to buy a ticket to the BWI rail stop on the Penn Line. Make sure the conductor does not keep the ticket. You will need the ticket to give to the conductor on the Penn Line route when you change trains.

There are no ticket sales at the Harpers Ferry station. You must purchase your tickets once you get on the train. Only cash is accepted for payment. No bills over $20 accepted.

In regard to the Harpers Ferry train station, the posted closing hours are 4:30 PM during the week and 5:30 PM during the weekends. The closing hours are not always followed by park personnel and will close later especially in the summer. Amtrak patrons catching the scheduled 11:25 AM departure to Washington will always have a warm and dry place to wait for the train.