PDA

View Full Version : Parking in SW VA

Berserker
01-12-2010, 13:07
I checked out the AT Parking Database in the post below and got some good info (I think I'll go in there and rate some of the areas I parked in). Anyway, I am trying to plan out a couple of sections, and there are no ratings on any of the areas I am considering parking. All of the locations below are marked as having parking on my map, and I want to know if they are safe (i.e. any recent incidents). The locations are as follows:
· VA 623 (Garden Mountain)
· VA 615 (Laurel Creek)
· VA 611 (South of Jenny Knob Shelter)
· VA 608 (North of Jenny Knob Shelter)

rambunny
01-12-2010, 15:34
It is always a gamble parking anywhere remote. We've herd of more incidences south of us than north- you might check with Woodshole-they should know.

Footloose
01-13-2010, 13:46
I've left two cars at VA 623 for a weekend, and have left cars at the other trail heads you listed, never had any problems.

Berserker
01-18-2010, 13:46
In the area near exit 54 off of I-81 is the Happy Hiker Hollow. My buddy and I parked there, and Rambunny gave us a shuttle to Dickey Gap. Aqua picked us up at US 11 (at the Shell station). Great people...I highly recommend their services.

Berserker
03-14-2011, 11:08
I checked out the AT Parking Database in the post below and got some good info (I think I'll go in there and rate some of the areas I parked in). Anyway, I am trying to plan out a couple of sections, and there are no ratings on any of the areas I am considering parking. All of the locations below are marked as having parking on my map, and I want to know if they are safe (i.e. any recent incidents). The locations are as follows:
· VA 623 (Garden Mountain)
· VA 615 (Laurel Creek)
· VA 611 (South of Jenny Knob Shelter)
· VA 608 (North of Jenny Knob Shelter)
I have since parked at 623 and 611 with no issues. The parking at 611 was kinda nasty cause there were the remains of several deer and a dog dumped there.

ratfaceraines
03-15-2011, 03:32
i'll throw my hat in the ring..i offer a shuttle service out of pearisburg...traveling from lynchburg you might consider doing as large a section as your schedule might allow..if i might be of assistance feel free to call anytime 540-921-7433(RIDE), don

Majortrauma
03-15-2011, 08:25
I'm doing a southbound hike with a small group starting at VA 652 around Troutville and stopping vicinity of VA 630 which is north of Laurel Creek Shelter and a bit south of Sarver.
The parking spot at 630 says there are (0) spaces. Is there an alternate spot not posted on the AT map and if not,is someone running a shuttle that could take us from VA 630 where we'll leave our vehicles to VA 652?
Thanks

topshelf
03-15-2011, 12:19
I live in the area and do not suggest leaving your car for extended periods of time. There are some issues with drunken rednecks. As said its never good to leave your car in remote areas. I know of a few people with cars that have been messed with, including myself.

SawnieRobertson
03-15-2011, 21:48
It has been a great pleasure to me to be able to let backpackers leave their cars at my home; however, I is going to be out there myself this year! Soooo, check with me for 2012.--Kinnickinic