PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Season coming soon

2XL
09-13-2004, 08:56
With hunting seasons right around the corner, I was wondering if sections of the trail are closed for hiking use.
With the trail going through some privately owned land, how does it work?
Do you just come to a sign on the trail saying "trail closed"?
Is there any listings of trail closures?

SGT Rock
09-13-2004, 09:00
The trail stays open, just make sure you are wearing some hunter's orange clothing. There were a couple of incidences recently of hunters shooting hikers. Watch yourself when going poop!

Deerleg
09-13-2004, 09:40
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/hike_info/hunting.html#sub1

The above link could be helpfull for hike planning.

Tin Man
09-13-2004, 12:10
Watch yourself when going poop!

Sarge,

Point of clarification: shouldn't we watch the surrounding woods when going poop? :-?

Tabasco
09-13-2004, 12:37
I hiked from Wesser to Stecoah Gap Fri noon-Sat noon, coming down into Stecoah Gap Saturday morning, I heard numerous gunshots. A little bit unnerving to say the least.

Tin Man
09-13-2004, 12:58
I hiked from Wesser to Stecoah Gap Fri noon-Sat noon, coming down into Stecoah Gap Saturday morning, I heard numerous gunshots. A little bit unnerving to say the least.

Every fall, I hike in New England and have grown accustomed to hearing gunshots. Yes, they can be unnerving, at least until you determine their distance. It is the gunshot that you don't hear that could spoil your day.

MDSHiker
09-13-2004, 14:12
Last Saturday, 15 miles south of Damascus on the AT...I ran into 3 people squirrel hunting. Yes, they were walking down the AT looking for varmits to shoot...I stood still until they noticed me and then they waved me through. LOL Jeez...are hunters allowed on the AT with guns ??

Last October north of Hot Springs, hunters had their dogs running bear and dear all over the mountains. I saw several hunters on ATV's riding on the AT...yeah...no joke.

2XL
09-13-2004, 14:50
Of course I plan to wear Orange when hiking during the hunting seasons, but lets say I am walking down the trail and it gets to a part that runs through somebody's farm. Can I expect the trail to be open or might I find a sign that reads"TRAIL CLOSED"?
Do private land owners agree to keep the trails open at all times?
I have read about the Fingerlakes Trail in NY being closed in parts for hunting seasons.
It would kind of suck to get to somebody's private property, and find out I've got to reroute.

Morning Glory
09-13-2004, 15:11
A couple of years ago in November, I was hiking a section near Damascus. I must have seen at least a half dozen deer hunters. I found most of them to be really friendly and safe. I have been surprised a couple of times after walking right past a hunter who was sitting on the opposite side of a tree...I wouldn't recomment wearing any tan colored clothing or packs during hunting season.

Alligator
09-13-2004, 16:22
Consider caumoflage or blaze orange TP.

http://www.liquidshirts.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CAMOTP

Expensive for TP, but isn't your ass worth it:jump .

Jaybird
09-13-2004, 17:07
with the recent "Puppy shoots back" (the owner of a new litter of puppies was gonna shoot them & one of the puppies wuz squirming & his paw hit the trigger & hit the owners wrist!) story in the news....is it too outrageous to think that the DEER population will be carrying semi-automatic rifles soon & be shooting back @ the hunters?????

Where is that assault rifle ban when u need it? hehehehehe ;)

eyahiker
09-14-2004, 03:51
hehehehehehehe;)

Let's hope this guy who shot a store's Christmas reindeer in PA isn't in the woods this year..................
http://www.gamecalls.net/huntingstories/hunterblastsreindeer.html